Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I was thinking about this, surely a regular safety car is rather unnecessary in this day-and-age? When a VSC comes out are the cars electronically limited? How does it work? Seems to be a regular safety is totally unnecessary and generally unfair on the leader. You could be 1min up the road from your nearest competitor and about to win, when someone crashes and causes a full safety car and nullifies your advantage entirely. It seems totally stupid. If a VSC limits everyone's speed and

VSC doesn't create a gap in traffic to let marshals work.

Soldato
Whatever happens, when the next season starts all we're going to be talking about is Max's lunges and what other drivers are going to do in response. I think the first example of him going down the inside and forcing someone off, if it's a Merc driver we're going to see a hard as argument as we did towards the latter part of this year. We'll probably also see more Silverstone-esque crashes. Well done Max for making the sport more dangerous and unsporting for everyone :rolleyes:

What will make it interesting is if there are other competitive cars next year. Most of the time this year and probably last the Ferraris and Mclarens of the world have pretty much let him past without a fight. They won't be doing that anymore if their performance is on par with the RB...

Caporegime
What will make it interesting is if there are other competitive cars next year. Most of the time this year and probably last the Ferraris and Mclarens of the world have pretty much let him past without a fight. They won't be doing that anymore if their performance is on par with the RB...

Can't see Russell yielding as maturely as Lewis either.

Soldato
Seems to be a regular safety is totally unnecessary and generally unfair on the leader. You could be 1min up the road from your nearest competitor and about to win, when someone crashes and causes a full safety car and nullifies your advantage entirely. It seems totally stupid. If a VSC limits everyone's speed and maintains the gap then surely this should start being the first port of call? :confused:

The safety car is only really 'problematic' when you're not far enough in front to take a free pit stop and you'll have limited options afterwards to respond to the actions of others - yesterday was going to be crap for Lewis either way, a 12s lead with 5 laps left somewhat plays into the hand of P2 (but only when they are well clear of their next rival - if Max had 3 cars on his tail within 10s Red Bull wouldn't have had the free pit stop themselves) but that's always been part of the deal and you take the rough with the smooth.

Because Lewis and Max are so far out in front of anyone else, it somewhat skews the application of the rule into the favour of the trailing driver.

And

And

Associate
Having watched it all unfold yesterday I'm disappointed in the result as I wanted Lewis to win, but it is what it is and probably the best thing now is all parties just accept it and move on.

I think where Lewis has possibly fallen foul of the FIA and Liberty Media is by being outspoken about discrimination and human rights abuses and for that he should be both congratulated and respected.

Caporegime
The safety car is only really 'problematic' when you're not far enough in front to take a free pit stop and you'll have limited options afterwards to respond to the actions of others - yesterday was going to be crap for Lewis either way, a 12s lead with 5 laps left somewhat plays into the hand of P2 (but only when they are well clear of their next rival - if Max had 3 cars on his tail within 10s Red Bull wouldn't have had the free pit stop themselves) but that's always been part of the deal and you take the rough with the smooth.

Because Lewis and Max are so far out in front of anyone else, it somewhat skews the application of the rule into the favour of the trailing driver.

Yeh, its crazy how much further these two are ahead of the field. Because of that, it has given P2 a massive advantage in this situations. I guess the rules weren't imagined to cater for the situation of two drivers from different teams absolutely wiping the floor with everyone else. If only Bottas could have at least kept within a reasonable distance of Max...

Regardless though, Merc still made the correct call according to the rules (and arguably the only sensible call they could have made with 5 laps left and a safety car in P1).

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

If only there was another Mercedes driver that should have been sitting in Max's pit window to prevent this...

*Bottas has left the chat*

Soldato

I'm praying McLaren can fight at the front next year. Imagine what the British GP will be like with Lewis, George & Lando all up the front!

Soldato
If only there was another Mercedes driver that should have been sitting in Max's pit window to prevent this...

*Bottas has left the chat*

In all the last lap excitement, it was easy to miss that Bottas not only failed to pressure and pass Sainz, he got done by both Alpha Tauris. A somewhat apt summary of his recent time at Mercedes - just outright disappointing at all the wrong moments.

Soldato
VSC doesn't create a gap in traffic to let marshals work.
Fair point, but surely if the cars are crawling around under VSC there is some safety there? I dunno, I guess you're right. Just thinking out loud. I guess the VSC isn't actually that slow is it.

All people are going to care about in a few months time is the new cars and what impact they have had on the teams.
I dunno. You may be right but once Max starts flinging it down the inside and pushing people off track... After Brazil a number of drivers said they'd have to reconsider their approach to attacking and defending.

Exactly. He'll be out to show how good he is if he's got the machinery behind him
Let's hope so. I'm not the biggest fan of Russell but if MERcedes have seen something I haven't and he's got raw pace then I'd love for him to put Max in his place once or twice.

Associate
I'm starting to think that Merc will end up dropping it because Hamilton will convince them he doesn't want to win the championship through the courts. It would be a massive shame because it's not really about Hamilton, it's about trying to preserve the integrity of the sport. Winning it through the courts would suck but it would be the least bad option, there are no good options. Allowing an illegitimate drivers championship to stand would forever be a massive stain on F1's reputation and likely turn many people away.

Soldato
“May” is a key word.

Even though max passed ham, he made difficult work of it and ham actually nearly overtook him in the next few corners….

Now toss in 5 back markers in between ham and max and there is no way max would have taken the chequered flag

But again you don't know that, and you would be deciding a result based on assumptions. The way it ended was 2 drivers racing as hard as they could and for once Max got lucky. You can't take something away from Max for doing his job, he didn't influence the decision and dealt with what he was given. Both drivers would have been a worthy winner as they are both in a league of their own compared to the rest of the grid but there can only be one winner.

I don't like Hamilton usually but he drove a good race/season, he had to race hard with Perez (who btw did an awesome job for the team) but at least Hamilton was professional and congratulated Max etc. More than can be said for Toto Wolff who showed his true colours this season and how big a baby he is when he don't get things his way. Earlier in the race he was telling Michael Masi how to do his job with the "no safety car, it interferes with the race", strangely enough at the end he wanted the safety car to stay out as long as possible.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Both team principals were over the line in the final race. The difference being Horner is constantly that bad :p

On Perez.. he slowed Hamilton down enough for Max to go from ~8s behind to ~1s behind in HALF A LAP. It was a bit unsporting but he did the right thing for his team and it was some great racing.. even though I bet Lewis was spitting feathers inside his helmet following behind as he parked on the apex.

Soldato
Put yourself in Hamilton's shoes though...you want to win number 8 and be photographed and videoed coming over the line in first and celebrating with your team and on the podium, lifting the trophy etc. I suspect if it was turned over in court, Lewis would probably not want that to his name anyway as it tarnishes the number 8 for him as well. The damage is done to both drivers now whoever gets it officially in the end. And the only ones to blame for that are the FIA and Michael Massi. I also am not one for the cancel/sack culture, but Massi should be literally sacked for his "work" this season. He is not fit for purpose and has failed by definition in his role. He has taken race "direction" in the literal form, prioritising the show for Liberty and Netflix even himself admitting the green light racing was a priority even over procedural safe restart. He is a joke now and must go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom