When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Judging by this video, even with the current high price of fuel, EVs are really only economic if you charge them at home or overnight.

TLDW: electricity prices at charging points are high, there are too few charging points, and it takes too long to charge.

And in a previous video he highlighted how he needed a plethora of apps - one for each of the various charging networks.

All negated by the Tesla Supercharger Network. So yeah, if that's what you need, that's where Tesla comes into their own. That said I've used plenty of non-Tesla chargers and never really had any issues, and lots have been free or flat rate etc.

I've saved over £1,000 in fuel costs after 8,000 miles compared to my previous car (diesel, 15p per mile/~35mpg).

Soldato
True. My Yeti gets about 40 mpg, 50 mpg on long motorway trips.

Yeah, that's good. If you could only access public chargers then you would have to do a lot of miles to bother switching.

But I only need public chargers on road trips. My 2-3 hundred mile range easily covers normal usage. Some people are charging their car for 5p per kW at home and the none performance model 3 can get better efficiency. So 1p per mile is possible in the summer. 1.5p worst case in the winter.

Soldato
is there not much solar power? i'd have thought that would be an obvious choice for houses that get that much Sun.

There is a fair amount of solar out there and growing, but has the obvious disadvantage that there is no solar after 6pm which is when a lot of the users are going to want to be charging their cars. They need the storage infrastructure in place as well.

The grid is so bad that the first office my company used had a large room full of batteries to supply an office wide UPS, whilst the offices they moved to wasn't even connected to the grid but had its own generator.

Soldato
All negated by the Tesla Supercharger Network. So yeah, if that's what you need, that's where Tesla comes into their own. That said I've used plenty of non-Tesla chargers and never really had any issues, and lots have been free or flat rate etc.

I've saved over £1,000 in fuel costs after 8,000 miles compared to my previous car (diesel, 15p per mile/~35mpg).
Less than 2.5 ppm is pretty impressive!

Soldato

A model 3 does between 3 and 5 miles per kWh, Octopus Go was 5p per kWh for several hours in the night. I think it's now changing to 7.5p. I guess most people not on octopus go are still around 16p, all set to go up as the cap ends and ppl need new contracts this year.

Caporegime
A model 3 does between 3 and 5 miles per kWh, Octopus Go was 5p per kWh for several hours in the night. I think it's now changing to 7.5p. I guess most people not on octopus go are still around 16p, all set to go up as the cap ends and ppl need new contracts this year.

I was lucky and grabbed the 5p per kw for night and 14p for day two weeks before the world went mad last october. Will hate it when it goes up in November 2022 though :(

Looking at the ahead forecasts by our energy brokers at work, I can see 20p or more being the norm for people finishing contracts this year.

Will still make a model 3 only 5p per mile though for home charging. But a massive jump up from what people have been used to paying, 4 times as much.

Soldato

I can charge at work for free which has offset it a lot, plus just thinking and planning charging cleverly like lots of car parks, hotels, venues and Airbnbs etc you can charge for free so I aim to arrive as close to empty as possible!

There were even points last year on their Agile tariff when you got paid to charge. The lowest I saw was -11p/kW.

Soldato
Not actually sure what's happening with my Octopus Go tariff, I'm still on the 13.45p/5p which started last Jan (15th I think). Not had anything yet from them to say it's going up though obviously it will, do they usually email?

My little 28kwh Ioniq luckily maximises the energy use as it'll do 4-5 miles per kwh all day long even in winter and will charge up to full in that 4 hour GO window pretty much from empty!

Soldato
My little 28kwh Ioniq luckily maximises the energy use as it'll do 4-5 miles per kwh all day long even in winter and will charge up to full in that 4 hour GO window pretty much from empty!

Yeah I'm averaging 1.2ppm for the past 12 months, in the 38kWh version, through the use of Agile/GO and now a PV array - hoping that prices do drop again though as for a lot of people just powering their homes will be excessive.

Associate
Because we can't get smart meters at our home (complete deadzone for every mobile network and there's no signal here for the independent network they sometimes use) I'm stuck on a fixed rate tariff at 20.318p per kWh with a 18.02p per day standing charge. So certainly not the cheapest, but we decided to jump from Bulb before they went pop. Even so, charging the Model 3 LR at home is significantly cheaper than fuelling the F40 M135i I had previously, so I'm happy enough for now. It'll be interesting to see what happens when my fixed contract is up in October this year.

Soldato
I'll translate
ca peut etre un piege, si tu rest avec octopus san contract et la prix du bas augmente avec l'avril augmentation - you could be ******

Soldato
The prices now are comedy, over night is no longer 5p but 7.5p, you can’t fix anything until renewal time so why change tarriff now? And your suggestion is that if you are out of contract you should shop around?

Does this captain obvious wear a cape?

Back
Top Bottom