• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX6500XT review thread

Caporegime
I think a better reaction to the 6500X would have been to point out its flaws while also acknowledging its a perfectly good card aside from its problems, and in that way ask AMD to do a bit better, give it more PCIe lanes and maybe 6GB of VRam even it its $20 or $30 more.

Anyone making GPU's would respond to a perfectly reasonable and fair criticism of a product and maybe even take it on board to try harder.

When you deliberately review it in such a way as to show it in its worst possible light, rage about it like some maniac and then tell your viewers you would be better off buying its competitor at twice the price how is that going to help the survival of $200 GPU's? when you're deliberately making it look much worse that it is and telling people to buy the other one at twice the price? What do you think any GPU vendor is going to do with that information?

Associate
What do you think any GPU vendor is going to do with that information?

Lower the price if they're not selling in the numbers they had predicted.

I think everyone's on the same page about the 6500xt. It works at 1080p if settings are kept low, has no resale value and isn't worthy outside of its low end dedicated gaming area. Obviously if £200 is the upmost limit of the budget and it ticks the boxes then it's useable. It's only as poo as a 3090 in many people's eyes, both cost money, both do jobs.

Caporegime
Lower the price if they're not selling in the numbers they had predicted.

I think everyone's on the same page about the 6500xt. It works at 1080p if settings are kept low, has no resale value and isn't worthy outside of its low end dedicated gaming area. Obviously if £200 is the upmost limit of the budget and it ticks the boxes then it's useable. It's only as poo as a 3090 in many people's eyes, both cost money, both do jobs.

You're assuming AMD are making a crap tonne of money on them, just for a minute imagine they are in fact not making any money at all on these, now how are they going to solve this problem?

Soldato
Remember the days of the £99 RX 570 4GB - Ah those were the days, the air smelt of roses, and pandemic was a term you only heard in films, and the only shortage was the shortage of time you had to play all the latest games.

Those were the days... :(

Soldato
FX-8320: $160
3570K: $230

The FX-8350 was a good as the 3570K in multithreaded productivity type workloads, it was about 30% slower in Single threaded and games, the FX-8320 used a lot more power, about 120 watts vs about 65 Watts for the 3570K.

The FX-8320 was an objectivity bad CPU, we all agreed you shouldn't buy it, you should buy the 3570K even at $230 vs $160.

Fast forward 10 years or so.

10700K: $374
5600X: $299

The 10700K is 10% faster in multithreaded, the 5600X is 23% faster in singlethreaded and anything from 10 to 30% faster in games, the 10700K uses about 180 watts vs 60 watts of the 5600X.

5600X vs 10700K is like the FX-8320 vs the 3570K in reverse, all people could do is complain at AMD because it was more expensive than the Ryzen 3600, a significantly slower older generation CPU, the 5600X blew the 3600 away in games by as much as 50%, it even blew the 10700K away by as much as 30% if there was no GPU bottleneck, it was also 25% cheaper, no one said the Intel CPU was too expensive, no. The problem was AMD got greedy making objectively good CPU's, how dare they?

Now its 2022, high inflation, high production costs, high component cost, people complain there are no $200 GPU's, AMD make one, it has issues, which it should be criticised for, but if you use it with in its confines it is not a bad GPU. its a medium settings AAA title 60Hz+ GPU at least.

People complain its not a AAA highest settings card, But the RTX 3050 is, even at scalped $450 its better than the RX 6500XT, So hate the RX 6500XT and stump up the extra $250.

Wow, just wow, WTF is wrong with this segment of society?
Both offer poor price performance but atleast one is a proper GPU and because the 6500XT is so bad it means everyone instead wants the 3050 which pushes up price even more.

Caporegime
At post #160 i made the point we all told every one not buy the FX-8320 at $160 vs the 3570K $230, how do you think anyone making these products would read that?

Now we are telling people to buy a GPU at $450 vs $200 because the Latter will not do AAA titles at the highest setting but the former will.

Insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome.
-Albert Einstein.

AMD put the R&D in to create something that made the competitors CPU look like Bulldozer vs Ivy Bridge in reverse, its learned behaviour, and AMD sold an absolute #### tonne of them, but also because despite of how good that CPU was it was still 25% cheaper, so in fact AMD didn't go all out Intel.

Now we are teaching them $450 entry level GPU's are good, just as long we can turn the eye candy all the way up. If we can't do that even a GPU at half that cost is insulting to us.

Caporegime
At post #160 i made the point we all told every one not buy the FX-8320 at $160 vs the 3570K $230, how do you think anyone making these products would read that?

Now we are telling people to buy a GPU at $450 vs $200 because the Latter will not do AAA titles at the highest setting but the former will.

-Albert Einstein.

AMD put the R&D in to create something that made the competitors CPU look like Bulldozer vs Ivy Bridge in reverse, its learned behaviour, and AMD sold an absolute #### tonne of them, but also because despite of how good that CPU was it was still 25% cheaper, so in fact AMD didn't go all out Intel.

Now we are teaching them $450 entry level GPU's are good, just as long we can turn the eye candy all the way up. If we can't do that even a GPU at half that cost is insulting to us.

Oh, forgot to add, Nvidia are watching all this unfold too. Taking notes....

Associate
You're assuming AMD are making a crap tonne of money on them, just for a minute imagine they are in fact not making any money at all on these, now how are they going to solve this problem?

I don't know how much a crap tonne is, but i imagine their margins are big enough to allow price changes, they're a big company and know what they're doing. Show me some evidence of their margins being paper thin and i'll retract my statement. Regardless, businesses often sell at a loss when needed, these chips won't be any different if they can't be put elsewhere.

Associate
I could very much believe they are making 40% + on something like the 6900xt. But some of the costs are fixed. A 6900xt cost 5 times as much to solder or ship or pack etc.

Soldato
The vast majority will go direct to miners at a 100% markup.

Nvidia only make FE cards. No such thing as a RTX 3050 FE. They couldn't sell to miners even if they wanted to. Even then, miners don't want the card.

I don't get why you are so biased and deflect so much?

To me it looks like nvidia are doing a better job of getting more cards into the hands of gamers.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

The first RDNA2 card (6700 XT) is sitting on a 0.19% share.

Last edited:
Associate
Nvidia is literally 4 times the size of amd. And radeon is less than half of AMDs business... so yeah. Obviously nvidia makes and sells more graphics cards. If they aren't out selling them 10 to 1 they're doing a bad job

Soldato
Nvidia is literally 4 times the size of amd. And radeon is less than half of AMDs business... so yeah. Obviously nvidia makes and sells more graphics cards. If they aren't out selling them 10 to 1 they're doing a bad job

I thought nvidia were selling all their cards directly to miners? If they are lets say 4:1 as you claim, then why is it more than 20:1 for Ampere:RDNA2 for steam users?

I don't understand all the deflecting and treating AMD as our gaming saviours. (which they genuinely are on the CPU side).

Caporegime

No no no.... the 3050 is only £400 and you can play games with higher settings, literally all that matters, its better value.

This is a Hardware Unboxed approved massage.

Steve Walton realised he looks like a clown and is already backtracking in his latest video framing it in such a way as to pretend he never said the demented crap he did.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom