• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX6500XT review thread

Permabanned
Having been playing games on my XBOX One X more recently, I notice I love how the games look and run as they have no lag at all, but then I realize how pointless the highest settings on PC are.
And I own an RTX 3070...

We are at a time where graphical settings don't make huge differences mostly.

Oh Phillip!

Plus a console has exclusives you can't get anywhere on PC like the redone Arkham Asylum...
Even if the One X has a barely better version over the original, it looks stunning on my TV.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Having been playing games on my XBOX One X more recently, I notice I love how the games look and run as they have no lag at all, but then I realize how pointless the highest settings on PC are.
And I own an RTX 3070...

We are at a time where graphical settings don't make huge differences mostly.

Oh Phillip!

Pro tip, if you're running 1440P or higher you don't need the highest Anti Aliasing settings, medium at 1440P and low at 4K is enough, anything above that in those resolutions and you wont see the difference, you're just wasting FPS.

Pro tip #2, there is rarely any visual difference between the very highest IQ settings and one down from that.

With that in mind you can claw back a lot of frames rendered without compromising your visuals.

Soldato
Games used to have big differences between settings where low would basically look like a game made 20 years earlier and Ultra would look so next gen you get 5fps.

Then market research showed PC gamers are idiots and they would get more sales if the game looked the same for everyone. So now we have games where Low and Ultra look 90% the same, because if they don't PC gamers moan (and console gamers too, they complain of the PC game looks too different from their console)

Last edited:
Soldato

GT 1030 is cheaper and available. If that is the argument. Only £80 (should be less) and can play older games.

So GT 1030 is the best card in the world right now according to that video. It's available and the cheapest card.

If the 6500 XT was £150 or less then AMD wouldn't have had a problem.

Once restocked the 6500 XT will settle at around £200-£220 and 3050 I predict will be £300-£350.

Last edited:
Soldato
Speaking a an rx6500xt owner (I know, sad innit, I only bought for something to play with prior going into me daughter's pc). Now its a sapphire version which means I can run "trixx" software with it, specifically the "resolution scaling" part of the software and, of course, I'm going to give it a go, so I was wondering has anyone tried it out yet? and if so, what sort of results did they get. I'll be trying it out tonight for myself, but I was curious to know if anyone else had tried it

Associate
Well, ComputerBase finally got a card to do their own (unsanctioned) review, not pretty especially the with PCIe 2.0/3.0/4.0 tests:
https://www.computerbase.de/2022-02/amd-radeon-rx-6500-xt-review-test/3/

The suspicion remains that AMD didn't sample them because they were pretty much aware of the test they would run and how it would fare. AFAIK the only German site which has reviewed this was PCGH.

Of course, since it took a while for CB to source their own card it now gets compared to 3050 in all the tests, where it looks poor:
orL5PRW.png

Performance is pretty inconsistent. In F1 2021 it does really badly, while in The Witcher 3 it does really good:
vmcB81N.png

Looks like they too noticed that The Witcher 3 really likes this cards as they calculated their perf/watt twice:
YiMYA0x.png

At MSRP there is no contest. However, MSRP is the problem otherwise the 6600 or 3060 would offer twice this performance for less than twice the price; and 3060Ti, 3070 and 6700 would offer better value. This 6500 XT is the only thing available at under £200 ATM.

Permabanned
People were recommending a 1050 Ti over this card, at least get your facts right, this GPU is much faster than that card.
Also if I were stuck in this situation I would grab the 6500 XT since it compares to Polaris which are more money and used.
I am sure you can tweak the card with overclocking and also play on High settings rather than Ultra, satisfying your need for a card that can just play games.

Associate
People were recommending a 1050 Ti over this card, at least get your facts right, this GPU is much faster than that card.
Also if I were stuck in this situation I would grab the 6500 XT since it compares to Polaris which are more money and used.
I am sure you can tweak the card with overclocking and also play on High settings rather than Ultra, satisfying your need for a card that can just play games.
Obviously would would require someone to investigate but I think with this cards it is important to keep VRAM usage below 4GB. I'd suspect TW3 does that, other titles not. (When run at Ultra as reviewers do.)

As for the rest: well apparently when it comes to GPUs:
two in the bush is worth one in the hand!
Having a time machine would also be handy.

Permabanned

:confused:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database

Caporegime
I remember MLID say the 6500XT would be a cherry pickers dream, seems he was right. You can either make it look good or really really bad in the same game depending on how you benchmark it.

If we have learned anything at all its who like to frame messaging and how.

VEbvOGO.png

MdgsKdv.png

Permabanned
I remember MLID say the 6500XT would be a cherry pickers dream, seems he was right. You can either make it look good or really really bad in the same game depending on how you benchmark it.

Everyone knows that lowering the settings gains performance..

The card is terrible.
Because its intended target is gamers on a budget who will highly unlikely run it on PCIe 4.0 boards.
Which means it will run on PCIe 2.0 x4 and PCIe 3.0 x4 boards.
And then the performance tanks deeply..

Sapphire Radeon RX 6500 XT Pulse Review - Cyberpunk 2077 | TechPowerUp

Sapphire Radeon RX 6500 XT Pulse Review - Deathloop | TechPowerUp

Sapphire Radeon RX 6500 XT Pulse Review - Far Cry 6 | TechPowerUp

Are you being purposely stupid?

Are you a troll?

Associate
Obviously when clocked to the moon (well nearly 3GHz), it consumes a lot of power, but if running at the clocks it was designed for on a laptop does only having x4 PCIe actually save that much power versus x8?

Permabanned

Are you a troll?

How am I a troll, perhaps go back and read again.
Comprehension.

It's a crap card I agree but it has a use-case because the market is so broken, so how about it?
Consider that you are comparing it's unplayable performance next to cards that are also getting unplayable performance costing more than it at the same performance level.

Once you par back settings just a little bit it matches or beats out Polaris which is it's main price competitor thanks to the market.

Soldato

The card is terrible.
Because its intended target is gamers on a budget who will highly unlikely run it on PCIe 4.0 boards.
Which means it will run on PCIe 2.0 x4 and PCIe 3.0 x4 boards.
And then the performance tanks deeply..

Sapphire Radeon RX 6500 XT Pulse Review - Cyberpunk 2077 | TechPowerUp

Sapphire Radeon RX 6500 XT Pulse Review - Deathloop | TechPowerUp

Sapphire Radeon RX 6500 XT Pulse Review - Far Cry 6 | TechPowerUp

Are you a troll?
It might also help if you didn't make that claim of it being "terrible" by showing the 6500XT trying to run 4k ultra with only 4Gb of memory :D

At least you answered his question.

Permabanned
How am I a troll, perhaps go back and read again.
Comprehension.

It's a crap card I agree but it has a use-case because the market is so broken, so how about it?
Consider that you are comparing it's unplayable performance next to cards that are also getting unplayable performance costing more than it at the same performance level.

Once you par back settings just a little bit it matches or beats out Polaris which is it's main price competitor thanks to the market.

You violated a basic ethics rule of the society. I supported a claim and you personally attacked me without any reason.
Deserves a ban..

Back
Top Bottom