• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Dual Core from £79 +VAT

Soldato
I should have checked mine yesterday when I changed the HS, but I am pretty certain it is an A - currently testing 3.9ghz with 1.55v on air cooling. If thats stable i am going to try with lower voltage.

Edit: bah not stable

Edit 2: Testing at 3.8ghz - 1.525 voltage

One thing I have noticed is a fair bit of Vdroop when under load (around 1.425-1.45v) which would account for instability at higher clocks.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes your right there but I think all recent chips are the later revision so its probably indirectly stated on the outside of the box.

I dont know the date for the crossover point, any time this year maybe.
The code mentioned in the review ends in sl8zh

Associate
On the latest CPU-Z, doesn't it list the revision there?

On my previous version of CPU-Z, the revision code was blank, but on the new one it has a 'B' in there.

Mind you, mine doesn't seem to clock all that well anyway, so maybe it's an 'A'!! :confused:

Soldato
Tooks said:
On the latest CPU-Z, doesn't it list the revision there?

On my previous version of CPU-Z, the revision code was blank, but on the new one it has a 'B' in there.

Mind you, mine doesn't seem to clock all that well anyway, so maybe it's an 'A'!! :confused:

Model : 4
Stepping : 7
Revision : B0

Seems stable at 3.8 on air cooling, so they arent that bad.

Soldato
the 'unique' code of the 805 is SL8ZH as both THW and the box tells you.
But the 05A (mainstream) or 05B (performance) flavours are for all intel 8xx cpu. Usually the 2.8 and below are all A and 3.0 and above are B.

But as shown in THW artical the 805 is avaliable as B at no extra cost (you just have to find one) dispite all intel information saying it should be only an A

Page 13, notes
http://developer.intel.ru/download/design/PentiumXE/specupdt/30683204.pdf

More info on A and B here
http://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/guides/30235604.pdf

Associate
Mine says the same Raikiri, but then I think we purchased them at a similar time from memory? (I'm not your stalker by the way! ;))

Anyway, aren't the 'B's supposed to be good?

I just can't get mine past 3.2 reliably, but at 3.1 it's solid as a rock! Might be my board though, as you kindly pointed out yesterday!! :D

I'm happy enough though, I look at it like getting a Pentium D830 for the price of an 805!

Soldato
Tooks said:
Mine says the same Raikiri, but then I think we purchased them at a similar time from memory? (I'm not your stalker by the way! ;))

May have done but I bought from somewhere other than OCuk and yep i think it is your board limiting you. Something from Asus/Abit using the 955x chipset should be good for 3.7 at least.

Permabanned
Raikiri,

Finally got all the bits for my new system today, that being:

Intel 805
Asus P5ND2 SLi
G.Skill 2GB DDR2 LA PC2-5300 (2x1GB) CAS4
BFG GeForce 7900 GT OC
Tagan TG580-U15 580W
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Lian-Li PC-7 PLUS

As I am a competely newbie at Overclocking, can someone give me advice on how to clock on this set up.

Many thanks :)

Soldato
My settings are:

Manual overclocking control (ram and fsb)
FSB 760
RAM 760 (makes it run at 1:1 with this board)
RAM voltage 1.95v
RAM timings are set to auto because my ram is crap
cpu voltage 1.5125v (could be lower for yours, mine only needs 1.4625 @ 3.7)
Northbridge voltage 1.5v
PWM asus qfan on with no minimum fan speed

Permabanned
Raikiri said:
My settings are:

Manual overclocking control (ram and fsb)
FSB 760
RAM 760 (makes it run at 1:1 with this board)
RAM voltage 1.95v
RAM timings are set to auto because my ram is crap
cpu voltage 1.5125v (could be lower for yours, mine only needs 1.4625 @ 3.7)
Northbridge voltage 1.5v
PWM asus qfan on with no minimum fan speed

Many thanks mate.

Regarding the qfan, for some reason I cannot get any control over it and yes I can enable it but the actually fan doesnt drop any speed. :confused:

At the moment my fans are quite loud, which is off putting!!

Soldato
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94659

easy droop mod for asus mobos, allowed my 930 to hit 4.3ghz up from 3.6.

ghettomod9tn.jpg

ghetto8js.jpg

Soldato
Apparently that works on the P5ND2 SLi reading that thread... and vdroop is the only thing limiting me currently.

If I break my cpu/mobo I'm not gonna be very happy :p

Associate
Good find but the legs on that chip are smaller then a millipede.

How are the pins counted, pin1 is bottom left then counted counter clockwise maybe? Looking at the picture with the writing reading correctly towards me, that seems correct to me.

I probably wont do it as Iam not sure what accidently shorting one of the other pins will do, maybe trash the board :o

a lot of cooling is needed for 4.3 I bet, your water cooling?

On another note, thanks for all the PM from people that did the pencil mod. SO far they worked out for everyone except 1 guy who's mobo wouldn't boot and he removed the mod and all is fine. The only comment I have is remember that the actual CPU voltage setting will be about .1v higher than the BIOS so you may want to lower the setting BEFORE you do the mod, or enter the BIOS the very first time you power up.....If you can, measure the resistance between pins 17 and 18 of the chip, with the pencil IN and power OFF, and check that resistance is above 20 ohms. The original resistance between these 2 pins is about 75k and the pencil should bring it down to 30k... Anything below 75k is good, but 5k may be too low. One guy PMd me about reading only about 1.5 ohms, and I recommended he twist the pencil around until it got to over 20k. I guess the graphite in some pencils have a lower resistance than others.

Last edited:
Soldato
Look for the slight circular indentation at the edge of the chip. This signifies pin one

Pins are then counted in order on one side of the chip first then the other side in the opposite direction

For example:

4 3 2 1 0
1 1 1 1 1 9 8
| | | | | | |
-----------
0----------
| | | | | | |

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Soldato
Jabbs said:
How are you peeps with these getting on with them now ?, they worth it for gaming/encoding etc

They are great for £80 you cant go wrong mate Mine is now stable at 3.8ghz on air it will do 4ghz but i cant keep it cool enough to stop it shuting down

Back
Top Bottom