***HTC Magic Thread***

Hi, probably a newbie question but I can't find the answer! Is there a way I can download all my text messages from the phone to my computer? Got a 900 message long convo with the gf (soppy I know) that I'd like to save on the comp!

Cheers

My backup Pro will do it, or SMS Backup whihc sends them to Gmail.

Smoove I don't have a guide, I just mashed together various posts on xda dev and here LOL.

It has been discussed earlier on in this thread though, trackback a few pages.

How I rooted and Cyanogened my HTC Magic (DO NOT COPY ME)

***THIS DESCRIPTION OF HOW I ROOTED MY HTC MAGIC IS FOR THE 1.5 (CUPCAKE) VERSION OF ANDROID AND NOT THE 1.6 (DONUT) VERSION***

How I rooted and Cyanogened my HTC Magic (DO NOT COPY ME PLEASE)

First off I offer this as a description of how I rooted my phone and if anyone was to follow it then thats up to them and I accept no responsibility for anything that happens to their phone.

This describes the rooting process I did for my phone which is a HTC Magic 32b phone. It would have probably bricked my phone if it was 32a as the Cyanogen 4.0.4 image is for the 32b only.

I read this guide but it is a little out of date so I had to do a little research. First off I downloaded these 2 files

http://zenthought.org/system/files/asset/2/flashrec-1.1.2-20090909.apk

This is the latest version of flashrec and works slightly differently from the one described on the webby I linked a few lines up.

Next I downloaded Cyanogen version 4.0.4

http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/update-cm-4.0.4-signed.zip

I downloaded them to my PC then copied them both across to the sdcards root directory on my phone.

Now the latest version of flashrec works slightly differently from the version listed in the webby guide above as it automatically downloads the correct version of Cyanogens recovery 1.4 for you.

I loaded up Linda File Manager and went to the root directory of my SD card where I put both flashrec and Cyanogen 4.0.4 and installed flashrec. First off the phone asked me "are you sure you want to install an evil non Marketplace app?" and i was all like "yep, I like to live life on the edge" and then I went back and installed flashrec.

I then loaded up flashrec and pressed the Backup Recovery Image button.

Once this was done I pressed the button that says Download Cyanogen 1.4 (at least it said something along those lines).

Once it downloaded I pressed the same button but it was now called Flash Cyanogen recovery 1.4.

Then once it finished flashing I got an option to reboot the phone so I pressed/selected that option and the phone rebooted into recovery mode (the mode with the text options and natty pic of the android).

This is different from that guide as this version of flashrec downloaded the correct recovery 1.4 for me and then gave me an option to reboot the phone so it saved me rebooting into the recovery mode manually.

Once in recovery mode the first thing I did was a nandroid backup. There was no way I was going to do anything else in recovery mode until I had done a nandroid backup. No bloody way.

Now once the back up was done, takes a little while, I then used the wipe data option. To be honest, this was the first time my pucker really started to twitch as this was where everything could have gone **** up.

When that stage finished, and my world hadn't seemed to end, I used the apply any zip from sdcard option and selected

update-cm-4.0.4-signed.zip

I had downloaded and put on my sdcard 10 mins before.

The phone went through the installation of this zip file and then it either rebooted itself or gave me the option to reboot (I can't remember which) and then went through quite a long reboot (I knew it would as all the guides I had read stated the initial reboot after flashing a new rom was a longun). I heaved a sigh of relief when the modified ANDROID word came on screen so I knew things had most likely gone according to plan.

After a little more while the phone fully booted up and I had 5 screens instead of 3 which I wasn't expecting but didn't complain about.

My APN settings were still there, which did surprise me, but my wifi was not (I think).

OH NOES I thought to myself when I found out I had only a couple of ringtones, DAMN YOU CYANOGEN.

I posted here before I googled but once I did google I found out that I had to download this file and unzip it at the sdcards root directory to add many ringtones.

http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/audio-resources.zip

Once that was done I selected my favourite ringtone, a nice normal RING RING sound and went about reinstalling the apps I had lost due to the rooting/flashing.

I am now a very happy owner of a rooted HTC Magic that is running CyanaogenMod version 4.0.4.

I would have described my rooting method yesterday if I hadn't been on a 2 day, probably justified, ban :D

Last edited:
Nice write up!

4.1.10.0 is out now which fixed compcache, adds the new android market, adds auto keyboard on, adds new browser speeds etc - I might install it!

Just followed Ellior's instructions and it works a treat! Do either look up the VPN settings (they are posted on vodafone forum - google) Or simply write them down!

Mine was not so lucky as to remember the settings so would not login to google until I got VPN working.

Otherwise much nicer now its running new rom, typing especially improved which I was finding slowing down a fair bit. Next I might try one of these differeny keyboards floating about.

What was peoples favourite so far (mrk)?

Cyanogen's rom has the htc ime keyboard and stock keyboard by default.

I've gone back to stock keyboard as I prefer the way it suggests words and autofills with a space after the word making typing even snappier still now.

It did take some days of usage of each to decide on this though.

Hi Th0nt, I can tell you now that the guide and links provided by Ellior are 100% good.

I was a bit worried after wiping the data and install the new rom that it was slow to boot but it worked perfectly. The link to the sound files was great as well and has made my phone sound more classical with its chirping ring.

Any specifics to remember regarding backing up your stuff?

Get MyBackup pro to backup settings and apps as best possible (works nicely) then before flashing, in recovery mode use Nandroid to create a system backup to be double safe.

job done :)

aTrackDog is awesome btw for app updates tracking and stuff. Also exports:

Exported by aTrackDog at 09:32:35 2009/09/18
Google Maps,3.1.2
2G-3G OnOff,1.0.0
Advanced Task Manager,3.3
AndFTP,1.0RC11
ASTRO,1.4.1
aTrackDog,2.54
AutoSync OnOff,1.1.0
Bedside,2.1.7
beebPlayer,0.4.9
Bloo,1.3.3
Bluetooth OnOff,1.0.2
Bookmarker,1.0.2
CM Updater,4.1
Google Sky Map,1.1
GPS OnOff,1.1.1
Here I Am,1.1.2
ixMAT Scanner,2.0
Keeper,keeper_9_11_09
Log Collector,1.0.0
LOLcats,1.2.44
My Battery Status,2.0.4
My Tracks,1.0.5
MyBackup Pro,2.0.1
Phonalyzr,1.1.1
Pkt Auctions eBay,1.63
Places Directory,1.0.16
Rings Extended,1.1
Screenshot,1.1.0
SetCPU,1.3.7
Shazam,1.1
ShopSavvy,3.5.2
SMS Backup,1.1.0
Sticky Note,1.1.4
StreamFurious,1.0.3
tCalendarWidget,1.0.5
Ultimate Stopwatch,2.1.0
WiFi OnOff,1.2.0
Wireless Tether for Root Users,1.52-cyanogenfix
Total 38 applications.

:D

I installed 4.1.10.1 (then 4.1.11.1 this morning), if you thought 4.0.4 was fast, seriously, you've seen nothing, the BFS kernel scheduler have made the phone SO much more responsive, if you've already rooted/romed your phone I recommend you move to the latest experimental rom (I'm not responsible if you brick it :))

You really can't brick it very easily that's the beauty of Android and Recovery mode :D If you nandroided then a swift restore is easy or you can simply reflash back to an older rom just make sure to keep multiple roms on the SD card root :P

As for the latest cyanogen, bam0 have you noticed any bugs? I WANT to flash but I keep seeing people say 4.2 stable is coming argh!

Back
Top Bottom