***HTC Magic Thread***

You really can't brick it very easily that's the beauty of Android and Recovery mode :D If you nandroided then a swift restore is easy or you can simply reflash back to an older rom just make sure to keep multiple roms on the SD card root :P

As for the latest cyanogen, bam0 have you noticed any bugs? I WANT to flash but I keep seeing people say 4.2 stable is coming argh!

I haven't noticed anything major, the only problem I've had is that MMS broke for me under 4.0.4, couldn't send, receive, or even get notification I'd been sent one, haven't tried it under 4.1.11.1 yet. The speed difference is very, very much worth it.

Weird, MMS worked for me as I sent one and received one.

I did use the APN settings Vodafone sent me in a PDF though!

Edit*
Downloaded Experimental via the updater app, applying shortly :p

Last edited:
Can you just use cyanogens updater and download/flash the latest rom without wiping data again?

should be able to, I applied 4.1.11.1 over 4.1.10.1 without wiping, although I chose to wipe before going from 4.0.4 given that I'd had a couple of problems with it anyway.

Here's a question for you guys who have done several rom flashes to different versions.

I've only done 4.0.4 and obviously, since I'm not a complete tard, did a nandroid backup before wiping my data for the first time. Now I am assuming that nandroid backup is of my original, bog standard, 1.5 Cupcake rom.

When I finally do update to an ew version, sounds like the next stable tbh, do I need to do a nandroid backup again as to my thinking I have the good stable 1.5 Cupcake backedup already. Is this thinking correct?

The nandroid backups will replace previous backups AFAIK and they consist of 3 .img files, data, system and boot. Nandroid backups are done via recovery mode whilst restoration is done via connection to PC (to push the IMG files from the backup location on SD to the system area).

You will need to move the backups to the SD root first though IIRC.

I've not had to do a restore yet but that's how I understood it from code.google.com's guide!

I've decided to stick to the latest experimental for the moment as I found the force closes to be related to my mass restoration of backed up apps - MyBackupPro and ASTRO were force closing on every 2nd app restore which was tedious as I have 48 apps :p

All done now though and it's fast.

VERY fast...!

Edit*
And WHOAH just how fast is the browsing scrolling now?!

I just checked, my Nandroid folder on the SD card was 630MB so it saves each backup to a new folder under sd/nandroid/ and you just then put the relevant date's img files on the root pre-restore.

Cheers mrk. I think I'll do the flashing, from fresh after nandroiding 4.0.4 and wiping data, later today once I am happy that cyanogen isn't going to find a big issue.

This phone is the best gadget I've ever bought and I think I'd actually cry if I buggered it up :D

I've fixed MMS, I know where the issue was. The APN settings MMS server ends with .12 in the rom itself by default whereas according to Vodafone's PDF (and the settings I've always used) it is .012.

I changed to .012 as the latest experimental as the .12 value was causing sent MMS to report "pending" and I'd never see the 2G/3G icon appear but with .012 the icon appears in status bar and the message sends with a confirmed read receipt!

excellent :) I was seriously impressed with the difference the new scheduler makes, I couldn't imagine going back to the stock roms now.

I am really hoping this 4.1.11.1 stays unmolested as I really want to install it but my natural cautiousness, pussiness, is forcing me to wait till 2000 GMT+1 tonight :D

I can't imagine how fast the phone is now if you 2 are saying how fast it is over 4.0.4. 4.0.4 is a huge improvement over 1.5 Cupcake.

Yay and I'm now a Hitman. I don't post, what i think are, pointless posts to boost my postcount :D

You'll notice the changes especially in the browser, scrolling and zooming is fast now!

I found one bug though, when existing an app to home the home screen takes a while to show again, it stays black then slowly loads the icons on home screen - known bug I believe so stable should fix that. No huge issue however.

It's worth getting the SetCPU app too to keep the cpu at 528MHz, I've not noticed a drop in battery life keeping the cpu at max all the time and the phone is faster yet :p

Has anybody had an issues with the low mic volume during calls etc with the current Cyanogen ROMs?

Flashed to the latest version earlier and ended up reverting back.

Cheers,

David

Back
Top Bottom