Poll: *** The Snow Leopard Thread - All Related Posts In Here ***

Are you going to upgrade to Snow Leopard?

• Yes indeedy, that I am.

Votes: 236 85.2%
  • No sir, not a chance.

Votes: 41 14.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
Dont know if there is a reason your specifically using preview for this, but, personally i do this task by using "Quick Look" which ive got mapped as SapceBar on my keyboard.

I use preview so I can modify/rotate images easily, and move through the pictures quickly. :o
I know you can go to 'File', 'Open' then select a folder, but then you have to wait for it to prepare it. (especially if you have 100's of pictures in a folder)

Quick Look is good, but contains no functionality other then viewing. :p

Associate
Quick Look sucks as well though, but it's more to do with a fundamental problem within Finder. If you use icon view in Finder, go into Quick Look and use the left and right arrows keys to go through things... as soon as it hits the end of a row it just *stops*.

Associate
It's not a problem, it's just not meeting your expectations which probably originate from Windows.

Select the multiple files before opening them in preview. If you want to preview a folder of images then select them all with CMD + A. If you want to preview a few files that happen not to be sequentially ordered, hold CMD and select them. Seems logical to me anyway.

Quick look? Select up and down, as well as left and right.

Soldato
That's a bit tenuous. I can't imagine any reason why a consumer machine would need to reference more than 4GB of video RAM.

Well if apple continue to support modern gaming then you'll be needing over 4GB in the next 3 years.

a lot of PCs have 6GB, graphics cards are hitting 1GB. Top end MacPro will be 2x2GB ATI 5-series and lastest nVidia with probably 16-24GB of RAM.

I would suspect the next imacs to use tri-channel which means 6GB.

Caporegime
[rant]
Preview's still utter tosh, though. For the life of me I cannot understand why you cannot open a picture and then click 'Previous' and 'Next' to go back/forward in that folder. I have hundreds of pictures in a folder and I want to use Preview to open them, but why do I have to select them all in order to do it ?
:mad: :(
[/rant]

:p

LOL, me too ! I do that in Ifranview all the time...

Soldato
If there's an iMac with 4Gb of Video RAM within 3 years I'll be surprised. Using a top of the range dedicated graphics machine as an example :
2006 Intel iMac - 256Mb
2009 iMac - 512Mb

The Mac Pro is not a consumer level machine. Once the drivers are sorted out I'd expect Apple to enable the 64-bit kernel before 10.7.

Associate
If there's an iMac with 4Gb of Video RAM within 3 years I'll be surprised. Using a top of the range dedicated graphics machine as an example :
2006 Intel iMac - 256Mb
2009 iMac - 512Mb

Yep absolutely no way thats gonna happen, you only have to look at the selection of graphics cards available for the mac pro
most of which are 1 or 2 generations behind the pc and yet cost double or triple the price.

Soldato
I believe it will work in Windows, however it would need the BIOS flashing with a Mac ROM to work in OS X.

So in theory if I got a Mac Pro.

I could plug one monitor cable into the pre installed card. Then Install say my 8800gts from my PC into a spare slot and plug another output cable from my monitor and then use one card for Mac and one for Windows.

Or am I talking a load of rubbish. :o

Soldato
I've got an 8800GT in my Mac Pro. Only certain ones work as you need to flash the BIOS with a mac based one :)

Very simple to do but you need a PC to do it then the 8800GT works in OSX and Windows perfectly :)

Soldato
likwid said:
It's not a problem, it's just not meeting your expectations which probably originate from Windows.

Select the multiple files before opening them in preview. If you want to preview a folder of images then select them all with CMD + A. If you want to preview a few files that happen not to be sequentially ordered, hold CMD and select them. Seems logical to me anyway.

Quick look? Select up and down, as well as left and right.

That's a fair point, and very true, but it's a little unnecessarily irritating to do to get it to view multiple photos.

I know about the Quick Look up/down. I also like that you can make it bigger by dragging it. :)

LOL, me too ! I do that in Ifranview all the time...

Yeah, I loved it on Windows, though I did find a (sorta) nice replacement with a bit of searching. Xee. :D

Opens .CR2 files ? Check!
Can go forward and back ? Check!
Fast ? Check!

Commissario
If I tap cmd-space and type terminal into the spotlight window, this is what comes up.

terminal-20090829-204538.png

This was fine on Leopard.

I've deleted my spotlight preferences already, any ideas?

OK, it's not just terminal. Here's address book:

address-20090829-210056.png

I've just updated my laptop and it's the same - Anyone else getting this?

I found a fix for this, it's language settings.

I had to enable "English" as well as "British English" in System Preferences/Language & Text otherwise Snow Leopard uses Japanese for certain things. I have no idea why, but it's all fixed and working now :)

Back
Top Bottom