Ever left your work PC unlocked?

Soldato
Yeah people did it in our office from time to time

The favourite is to take a screen capture of their desktop , set it as desktop background

hide all their desktop icons , and watch as they try to click on stuff with no effect

Never happened to me, but I did prank a few people myself.

1. 'My Pictures Slideshow' screensaver: create new folder, drop a fake BSOD image into it, point the screensaver to that folder.

2. Press print screen, paste into MS Paint, save it as desktop wallpaper. Delete all the icons and hide the taskbar.

Associate

2. Press print screen, paste into MS Paint, save it as desktop wallpaper. Delete all the icons and hide the taskbar.

This has happened to me, was extremely confused for a few mins! Also quite ****ed off as I had a fairly large amount of icons on the desktop to start with! :mad:

Saw the funny side though :p

Always lock my pc when I'm away now, even though I have my own office.

Soldato
Pretty much lock it as a habit now as it's been the policy of all my employers over the last 10 years either because of financial/personal data, GMP security or sensitive client data. I lock it at home to stop my daughter fiddling with it.

At my last place the IT manager had a real thing for it but the worst she'd do was write a message in a doc saying 'Lock your screen'. Here the policy is to lock your screen whenever you leave your desk, for whatever reason.

Associate
When I worked for UKOL.
We used to changes people's background to a smashed/artifacted LCD screen. It looks really realistic. Then shutdown explorer.exe. So when they came back,t hey'd panic thinking their screen was busted.

The best I have ever done though was on my brother. He was being an ass to me one day. So he went out leaving his rubbish music playing (some 50cent rap). I changed his background to a BSOD. Then shutdown explorer.exe. Then, changed his registry to delete the explorer.exe startup entry and turned his monitor off.

When he came home, he paniced as everytime he turned his computer on, all he could see was a BSoD. As he wasn't very it literate all he would do was to reboot. I told him about an hour later. He wasn't impressed :p

Associate
Always locked, Win&L here too.

Just the thought of someone getting their mits on some of my work files is probably enough to be sacked, lol.

Soldato
Always lock mine,

Guys in the office leave there its freefor all on facebook :)

Fraps.
Changing sounds to rickroll, or other stupid videos - My boss had the sunny D and rum lady for months - I think he liked it!
When ever someones off at my place something will get done to there PC - unplugged cables. Broken keyboards and mice plugged in. Snipped network cables ect. We even grew cress in 1 guys keyboard as he was off for a month.

What goes on in my office stays in my office

Associate
My mate fell asleep once at a lan party in front of his PC! So I changed his wallpaper,font size and mouse pointer sensitivity:o

Never leave mine unlocked at work.

One of my mates did this who is a Team Fortress 2 nut, so I bound the kill command to the key he used to jump :D It took him a while to work out what was happening.

Caporegime
Never do I lock me PC or anyone else. Doesnt show a lot of trust if you do does it? I work for an oil and gas company.

I haven't read the thread...but seriously what a silly reply. When you are dealing with sensitive data, you lock your PC, it's not hard.

The amount of people at this place that leave their PC's unlocked with students around is ridiculous.

For the record, I lock mine :)

Back
Top Bottom