The Python Walkthrough Thread

Associate
OP
Ok, I think its time for Phase Two (See the OP). If I missed anyone, you can still reply to express your interest :)

Installing Python 3.2 for Windows and Mac
0. If you have a Mac, grab the Python 3.2 dmg. OSX comes with Python 2.x which is too old. I don't have a Mac but if you get stuck just fire a reply here! Hint: It puts its files at: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.2/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python
1. Head over to http://www.python.org/download/
2. Download and install the 32bit version of Python 3.2, do not get the 64bit one as it may break things later on.

Installing Python 3.2 for Linux
1. I assume you know how to use Linux somewhat, since you have it installed, so open up your terminal (look through the menus for a terminal application) and try some of these commands:
python3
python3.2
2. It should hopefully say Python 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2, if neither of these commands provides python 3 then you will have to install its package. Post a reply for more help.

Installing Aptana, Available for Windows, Linux and OSX!
0. Make sure you have installed Python first! See above.

1. Head over to http://www.aptana.com/products/studio3/download and download + install it.

2. Start it up, you always get this dialog, just click "Use this as default and do not ask again", then press Ok.
tut1.png

3. You should now be looking at this:
tut2.png

4. Go to File --> New --> PyDev Project
tut3.png

5. Fill in the project name, if you have any problems, try removing spaces or other weird characters. Set the Grammar Version to 3.0
tut4.png

6. Press the blue hyperlink near the bottom "Please configure an interpeter..."
tut5.png

7. Press Auto Config, press Ok to all the dialogs that come up. You can press Ok on this one too.
tut6.png

If your on a mac, You might have to set the interpreter manually, Try looking here:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.2/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python

8. You should see your project come up on the left:
tut7.png

9. Right click on it, and go to New --> PyDev Module
tut8.png

10. Give the module a name, do not use spaces, use understore instead. Finish will be grayed out if you do it wrong.
tut9.png

11. Write your first hello world program as shown below and press Ctrl+F11 or the "green play button" as shown to run it. If you get a dialog come up, select "Python Run" and press Ok.
tut10.png

Report back when you have completed this or if you are experienced with Python, tell me this so I can make a note on the OP <-- Read Carefully!. I appreciate feedback too :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I am interested in this. Also, I have completed Phase two. :)

Added you, I have added everyones "Status" to the OP, I need to keep this updated so I know what phase everyone is at (or to what point you understand). So can people reply and let me know!

It will time for another phase to begin, due to me having to spend some time writing it up and getting feedback from all the participant's.

Edit: I have added more phases! Reading them amazes me how much I know!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
How long will you be waiting between phases, and will you be keeping all of the relevant info available? I'd love to do this, but may find it hard due to a lack of free time. :)

Yeah, every last scrap of information will be on this thread. Lack of time is not a very valid argument, you only need to follow the tutorials in this thread and this thread will deliberately move at a pretty slow pace. Tutorials will be kept as short as possible and will be spaced out, allowing for discussion. I recommend you get in early so you don't have to catch up.

I estimate phases might last as much as a week, depending on how speedy people reply to my posts. I think a hard limit might be beneficial since some may forget about this thread. I think I will let you guys have a say though. Personally I think 1 week sounds good, they need to be spaced out enough to fit all this learning around peoples busy lives and for me to have a break from writing tutorials.

Edit: Thanks for telling me that you have completed it. I will fix your statuses on the OP.

Last edited:
Soldato
Installing Python, WINDOWS ONLY! It is bundled with OSX and Linux
1. Head over to http://www.python.org/download/
2. Download and install the 32bit version of Python, do not get the 64bit one as it may break things later on.
Python27 is bundled with OS X and all linux distributions I know about, but v3.2 certainly isn't. People would have to install that themselves WITHOUT replacing or removing the 2.7 install <- that's important.

For mac, there's an installer, so it's as simple as any other app. For linux, most distros will be able to do it all for you though Yast (or equivalent package manager). Else get the tarball and do it manually ... something like (with or without sudo for the last step, depending on permissions):
Code:
./configure
make
make altinstall
In both OS X and linux 'python' in the terminal will still open 2.7 even after installing 3.2, so 'python3' or 'python3.2' is the way forward.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm very interested in joining in :) I'll get up to phase 2 this weekend but I'm away from home next week so I'll have to catch up next weekend. If all the phases are as detailed and easy to follow as phase 2 it will be very good :)

Associate
OP
I want to thank everyone for taking part in Phase Two but can you please make sure you have Python 3.2 installed! I didn't make the instructions clear enough!
Due to the speed of the progress with Phase Two, I will try and expedite Phase Three, I will work on it over the weekend. The majority of people have now completed it. Phases will get a bit harder in future but I will be as detailed as possible. They are ordered by difficulty.

Python27 is bundled with OS X and all linux distributions I know about, but v3.2 certainly isn't. People would have to install that themselves WITHOUT replacing or removing the 2.7 install <- that's important.

For mac, there's an installer, so it's as simple as any other app. For linux, most distros will be able to do it all for you though Yast (or equivalent package manager). Else get the tarball and do it manually ... something like (with or without sudo for the last step, depending on permissions):
Code:
./configure
make
make altinstall
In both OS X and linux 'python' in the terminal will still open 2.7 even after installing 3.2, so 'python3' or 'python3.2' is the way forward.

Thank you so much for pointing this out, I have now edited the post and added an announcement to the OP.

I've completed Phase 2.

Can I suggest you edit your OP and add each "Phase" or Tutorial to it so that it's all in one place? Labeling it appropriately as we go along.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, I already have a list of each phase with a description. Do you want me to hyperlink to the corresponding post?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom