The Python Walkthrough Thread

Looked at the twitter api and now understand the code :p Was a bit tired last night... now to work out how to get it to display on my html page :D

I have done phase 5, and made a calculator too... might try and attempt a GUI myself :p

Last edited:
Phase Six: Try some basic web application development using bottlepy.
Phase Seven: Make a GUI application using pyqt4.

Phase Nine: Learn databases using SQLAlchemy.
Phase Ten: Learn some serious web application development using Pyramid and use the SQLAlchemy knowledge from Phase Nine! This phase is a beast!
I'm following this thread :)

I have done a bit of Python but am interested to move on to GUI stuff as the main things I've done in Python are CLI based. (have done some very basic TKinter GUI)
Would be interested in phase 6, 7, 9 + 10 :)

I just installed aptana-studio 3 on archlinux as I've never used it before.

Just wondering why we are using aptana and not a small install
Like geany?? Im currently using geany but have installed aptana to follow the tutorials but whats the main difference ?, benefit ?
I prefer the layout of geany, seems less cluttered

Ok, Just a status update, I was busy all Saturday driving around Derbyshire (looking at the awesome mountains and scenery) and spent Sunday working on my home server. I am free Monday, so I will have to sort out Phase Three then.

I know you all are anxious to recieve it :D Like I said, this will be quite a slow thread and this is a fairly long term project.

I have amended the OP with all new participant's and fixed various status's :)

Just wondering why we are using aptana and not a small install
Like geany?? Im currently using geany but have installed aptana to follow the tutorials but whats the main difference ?, benefit ?
I prefer the layout of geany, seems less cluttered

Your free to use whatever text editor you like, but you will have to run the python files manually from a terminal instead of pressing the pretty run button on the usual aptana. For most, a big program like Aptana is very intuitive to use and can detect and correct many common typo's.

Last edited:
Can I join in still ?
What is routine if we run into trouble ?

I know how to write basic apps in Java, C# and C++, however really only simple things, I struggle with anything that has more than a couple of Classes...

I have edited python code in the past for a game ( star trek bridge commander), but it's been ages and I can barely remember anything. Would love to learn the language now, especially considering I'll probably order 2 or 3 raspberry's when I get the chance :p ( one as a download and file server, one for media use with XBMC, and one perhaps for fun/experiments).

Consider me joining from phase 4 :).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom