The Python Walkthrough Thread

Associate
OP
Can I join in still ?
What is routine if we run into trouble ?

I know how to write basic apps in Java, C# and C++, however really only simple things, I struggle with anything that has more than a couple of Classes...

I have edited python code in the past for a game ( star trek bridge commander), but it's been ages and I can barely remember anything. Would love to learn the language now, especially considering I'll probably order 2 or 3 raspberry's when I get the chance :p ( one as a download and file server, one for media use with XBMC, and one perhaps for fun/experiments).

Consider me joining from phase 4 :).

Yes, you can join in.

If someone runs into trouble, just reply to this thread and I or someone else will be happy to help.

Nice, you can offer advice during phase 3.

Phase two complete.

Also you've missed me off your participant list ;)

I have added you now.

Associate
Hi Rich, great idea! Could you add me to the list please? With this being in a thread format, it would be great if I could work through this in my own time. Ive done phase 2 also.
Thanks

Associate
Ok so I lied, I hadn't quite finished phase 2 :p
When I press the 'Auto Config' Button within Aptana, I then click 'OK' and get this error:
Screen%20Shot%202012-03-19%20at%2017.50.11.png

I don't want to ignore it as it might cause problems later on.
Regards
FP

Associate
Hi, Im using mac osx 10.7.2 and I installed the Python 3.2 DMG. Confirmed in Terminal By typing 'Python3' and this is what happens:
pyleigh-swanns-macbook:~ leighswann$ python3
Python 3.2.2 (v3.2.2:137e45f15c0b, Sep 3 2011, 16:48:10)
[GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5493)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>

Soldato
Yup, so you've got 3.2 installed correctly.

Try and configure it manually:
Interpreter - Python -> New ->
Path as: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.2/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python
The part after 'Python.app' is necessary, but you won't be able to get to it through the file selection window that comes up, as it's within the Python package contents. Append it yourself manually.

From there, it should auto-detect the appropriate imports. If not, then post back.

PS - I use Eclipse, from which Aptana is based, so I assume the menus are the same ???

Last edited:
Associate
OP
FYI, I am working on Phase 3 now.

Yup, so you've got 3.2 installed correctly.

Try and configure it manually:
Interpreter - Python -> New ->
Path as: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.2/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python
The part after 'Python.app' is necessary, but you won't be able to get to it through the file selection window that comes up, as it's within the Python package contents. Append it yourself manually.

From there, it should auto-detect the appropriate imports. If not, then post back.

PS - I use Eclipse, from which Aptana is based, so I assume the menus are the same ???

Yes, they are almost identical but Aptana has been tweaked for Python programming, so it comes with all the needed plugins etc.

Ok, I have found interpreter-Python, and then I click 'NEW' It then asks me for an Interpreter name, and an Interpreter executable? Am I on the right tracks?
Thanks

Just put anything you like for interpreter name such as "Python 3.2" and then browse to the path A.N.Other mentioned. And yes, you are on the right tracks.

Count me in please OP? Skype is: rexehuk

Have you done Phase Two? I have added myself to your Skype.

Last edited:
Associate
Ok I am trying to navigate my way to /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.2/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python within Aptana but i don't seem to have a /Python.app folder

Soldato
As above, you won't be able to navigate to it within the file browser. Apps (well, not the actual executable) are folders in OS X - go to your apps folder and rclick something -> 'show package contents' to see. Hence, the 'Python' application in /Resources is actually a folder that can be accessed by putting '.app' on the end. Just write it out manually :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom