Spec me an LED Torch

Just got my EA4, excited to try it out but the charger + batteries i ordered haven't turned up. EA4 came from HK in 5 working days :O.

Any suggestions for a replacement charger + batteries, this one may be lost.

I have an Ansmann charger and batteries and they're exceptionally good. They seem to last for ages in other devices. I purchased four 2850mAh AKKU batteries for my EA4, put them in last night and they're fully charged out the pack and all functions on the torch works. Voltage on the torch reads as 4.8v. I'll see how long they last for but I've found the Ansmann batteries to be relatively cheap and they work really well.

My Thrunite T10 has died after a very short space of time. i got it as a bundle when I ordered my TN31. Very disappointed as I really liked it, very usable light for a 1xAA. Hope the TN31 i more reliable.

I think i'm just going to stick with Fenix from now on.

The Nitecore EA4 is 860 lumen, 4xAA batteries with a throw of up to 283 meters.

Looking at a similar lumen torch - The Fenix TK41 U2 is also 860 lumens, 8xAA batteries with a throw of up to 486 meters

The Fenix is more expensive, bigger and takes more batteries but does lumens mean nothing in the end and its all about components and other stuff?

If the above is the case for other torches then one could be 1000 lumens and another be 900 lumens and the 800 one could throw further

Would be interesting to see Fenix TK41 next to Nitecore EA4 beamshots. I have tried searching but cannot find anything yte

Last edited:
Reflectors play a huge part in the beam you get from a torch, take the TN30 (triple xm-l) its rated at say 3000 lumens but the TN31 (single xm-l) which is rated at say 1000 throws much much further.

My Thrunite T10 has died after a very short space of time. i got it as a bundle when I ordered my TN31. Very disappointed as I really liked it, very usable light for a 1xAA. Hope the TN31 i more reliable.

I think i'm just going to stick with Fenix from now on.

like ive said before
Jacked my car down on a pd30 by accident in heavy rain for over a hour, wondered where it was, found it and was like man this will be so broke.
Its was barely scratched and still works fine now over a year kater

EA4 with me now. It arrived marked as an $18.50 toy gift

:)

interesting - i thought the operation seemed pretty complicated at first. It actually works very well (probably not as good as the Quark AA2 Turbo I had before but still good)

Nice feature showing battery voltage in lockout mode

Last edited:
http://thetorchsite.co.uk/TTS-3WCR45_CNC_XPG-R5_LED.html

Looking at these for a maglite 3d, is it better to get one of these or just buy the maglite that comes with an led fitted as standard?

Cheers

Dave

I have one of those drop ins in my 3 cell maglite and a 2 cell LED maglite. The factory led light is better, I think its to do with the surface area the light emits from as the maglite has a bigger surface area than the blob on top of the drop in. Neither is as good as my Fenix LD 41 though and that's a much smaller/nicer torch.

Cree shares jumping 20% today on 14% higher sales. Very highly rated share based on all the future growth they could see I guess

http://www.4-traders.com/CREE-INC-8...-Second-Quarter-of-Fiscal-Year-2013-15959432/
Recent Business Highlights:

Achieved an LED industry milestone with the release of our 200 lumen-per-watt XLamp® MK-R LED;
Announced our revolutionary new LM16 LED replacement lamp to obsolete energy-wasting halogen MR16 lamps;
Introduced the XLamp XM-L2 LEDs, the industry's brightest, highest-performing single-die LEDs delivering 186 lumens per watt;
Announced that more than 130 locations of convenience restaurant chain Sheetz, Inc. now feature state-of-the-art LED lighting by Cree;
Released the industry's first fully qualified, production-ready, all SiC power module.

Neither is as good as my Fenix LD 41

Thats twice the price of the maglite setup looks like

Last edited:
I have one of those drop ins in my 3 cell maglite and a 2 cell LED maglite. The factory led light is better, I think its to do with the surface area the light emits from as the maglite has a bigger surface area than the blob on top of the drop in. Neither is as good as my Fenix LD 41 though and that's a much smaller/nicer torch.

Thanks Dandle and Malt_Vinegar, just looking at the Maglite website and the 3D is 131 Lumens, Surely the 200 Lumen upgrade bulb would be brighter even if its not mounted quite the same way?

http://www.maglite.com/D_Cell_LED.asp

Not the best website, interestingly the 3D is not as bright as the 2D one? Typo?

Dave

Bought a new Olight SR-51 this week:=

7D6AD849-2672-469C-BC1A-9D217B6D0F84-5487-0000153AE0AC14BE.jpg

Going to limit myself to two torch purchases a year. I'm thinking of the Fenix TK75 sometime in July / August time.

normal pic (iPhone 5)

1.jpg

Quark AA2 Turbo. Max mode - 190 Lumens for 47 mins. Cost me ~£70

2.jpg

Nitecore EA4. Turbo (max) mode - 860 Lumens for 1 hour 45 mins. Cost me £41

3.jpg

Guys,

Not sure if this is the right thread but here goes.

I want a waterproof freeze proof torch. Doesn't have to be massively bright, just a good battery span on it something that's going to do well in minus 20 conditions. And i really don't want to spend much.

Also if i drop it on a glacier, it wont break ;p

So, thoughts please? :)

Back
Top Bottom