• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Caporegime
Try this fix:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1656824/atikmdag-sys-error-bsod-startup.html

Step 1: Download and install the latest ati graphic driver.AND DONT TURN OFF OR RESTART YOUR COMPUTER AFTER INSTALLATION

Step 2: Then go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and rename atikmdag.sys to atikmdag.sys.old.

Step 3: Go to ati directory (usually in C:\ATI) and find the file atikmdag.sy_.

Step 4: Copy the file to your Desktop directory.

Step 5: Open cmd.exe by going to Start -> type cmd in the search box and hit enter.

Step 6: Change the directory to Desktop by typing chdir Desktop.

Step 7: Then, type EXPAND.EXE atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys. Or,

expand -r atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys

Step 8: When the expansion is complete, copy the new atikmdag.sys from your Desktop to

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

Step 9: Restart your computer and the problem should be resolved.

Without that fix, I get constant blue screens, could be once a day or up to 5 times a day, doesn't matter if the PC is idle, browsing, gaming or just watching a film.

Tried stock CPU clocks, upping the power control, afterburner settings/clocks, reinstall of bios etc. no change. Only the above has semi fixed it for me, still get a blue screen every now and then but nowhere as much.

Last edited:
Soldato

I have the reference cooled one.

I have no OC right now.

I'm almost certain the code was 0xa00000001, but the last crash the BSOD was all skewed and I couldn't read it.

System is old, I'm in the process of upgrading, but it's gradual.

CPU: i7 920.

Memory: 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 1333MHz (3x2GB)

Motherboard: ASUS P6T DELUXE

Psu: Brand unknown atm 700W

SSD: samsung 840 EVo

I am currently at work, so all dumps etc will need to wait till later.

Caporegime
That sounds exactly the same as mine! Same error code and I also have had a few blue/BSOD screens skewed looking.

Try the fix I posted above, it should fix it/reduce the BSOD's....

Caporegime
I have the reference cooled one.

I have no OC right now.

I'm almost certain the code was 0xa00000001, but the last crash the BSOD was all skewed and I couldn't read it.

System is old, I'm in the process of upgrading, but it's gradual.

CPU: i7 920.

Memory: 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 1333MHz (3x2GB)

Motherboard: ASUS P6T DELUXE

Psu: Brand unknown atm 700W

SSD: samsung 840 EVo

I am currently at work, so all dumps etc will need to wait till later.

I'm familiar with your issue. I had the same when i had a P8P67 WS board. The problem is the gpu is not compatible with the NF200 pci-e switching chip on your motherboard. Sometimes at idle i found i would get that bsod. The issue was resolved by using a different board that did not use the NF200 chip. I'm afraid there is unlikely to be an update from the motherboard manufacturer now.

I would recommend trying Nexsus18 suggestion.

Soldato
I'm going to have to ask to be removed from the owners club :(

I've sent my card back because the draw of the 980s was just too strong.
I couldn't help it they were shiny and new...
(Plus if I ever get around to watercooling 3 identical cards will be easier than a 295x2 and 290X)

Associate
Matt ma boy, you just made me spill man juice.
Honestly I would love to have 2 lightnings but I think the cooler would cover my over slot for the sound card and I just can't go back to onboard sound.

Mobster
Soldato
Can i have another entry in the OP please Kaap. :)

gy0doZY.jpg

lxGOR6x.jpg

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom