• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1080 Owners Thread

Soldato
Other than the FE being overpriced, this is just the same as always, whoever said the 980ti had lots of options on release clearly has a short memory.

Many of the custom cards have always come with a delay or stock issues, still plenty of options available.

Mods, when are you going to start banning repeat troublemakers?

OcUK Staff
Currently no matter what mod, including changing VRM with ASUS Power Card or similar is allowing more voltage or "power limit" in 3D. No Bios either. 1.25v is your lot.

Something internal to the GPU is locking this down or something within the driver or both. Currently no board partner has the ability to change any of these limits.

Caporegime
Currently no matter what mod, including changing VRM with ASUS Power Card or similar is allowing more voltage or "power limit" in 3D. No Bios either. 1.25v is your lot.

Something internal to the GPU is locking this down or something within the driver or both. Currently no board partner has the ability to change any of these limits.

So 2.2ghz is a no no?

That HAF card took 1.3 v for 2.2ghzon air... But it was a unreleased card...

Associate
There is no such thing as unlocked BIOS. Currently any voltage over 1.25v in 3D is not working at all. Power limit is also locked. 2.2+ is simply look of the draw.

Gigabytes card is basically reference PCB so I cant see it doing any more than FE.

makes me think i'll skip the 1080 entirely

Soldato
If you want the power of 980s in SLI with less power draw, heat and noise then it is the obvious choice. Are people prepared to wait another 18 months for another nvidia release? I think not. Apart from the enthusiast who wants unlocked voltage this is a decent card with decent gains over its replacement which is essentially a 980.

The only gripe i have is price but if you want to be at the sharp end of the blade you have to pay for it.

I dont know about you guys but i want this raw power to play games at 4k with acceptable FPS without having to turn the eye candy down. I am not someone who wants the card so i can boast about my 3Dmark scores and be in the top 1% of PC owners in the world, i will over clock the card but only as far as 1.25v will allow and ill be happy.

Last edited:
Soldato
My One.

20160606_111158.jpg

20160606_111210.jpg

20160606_111451.jpg

20160606_112006.jpg

20160606_112241.jpg

image.png

Soldato
What sort of settings are you using on your 1080 to maintain clock speeds? Will try similar settings. I guess noise is also all subjective also. :)

I am not because I do not have 1080, still waiting for custom card. The 5870 I have currently while waiting, is extremely loud though. Probably should not have changed my sig until I received one.. but is taking longer than expected.

Last edited:
Associate

Gamers Nexus just put a video up and seem to think the EVGA classified will be able to do this.

Soldato
I don't like adding lots of voltage anyway and do not do extreme OC, but I noticed on the 980ti that the power limit was always the problem throttling the clockspeed, but if 1080 is locked for that as well, then looks like custom cards will not be any better than FE for that, except that they will have lower temps and quieter, which is worth it but I was hoping the custom cards would be faster than FE, like the G1 980ti etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm more than happy with my FE. I'm glad I didn't wait around for the aftermarket cards. I don't tend to OC my GPU and I'm happy with it bar the random fan issue which should be sorted in the next driver release.

Soldato
Slightly considering FE but I am not sure I can bring myself to get one for more than the EVGA FTW which will likely be quieter and run cooler, but looks like the extra power connectors and phases etc. are quite pointless with the 1080 and almost no benefit over the normal FE card, stock levels are not very promising for custom cards either. I will still wait though I think as the FTW should be quieter and cooler than the FE.

Last edited:
Associate
So, nVidia stoop to such a low level that they not only use a cherry-picked 1080 to show how "high it clocks" and run the fan at 100% on an open bench to show how "low the temps are", but they also gimp the power delivery to stop any board partner being able to achieve over 1.25v. Surely board partners who supply extra connectors must've tested the card and realised it was pointless?

We've been deceived at every turn yet again. nVidia have done everything possible to stop the card running too far out of spec, overpriced the 1080 and rendered enthusiast cooling solutions pointless.

Can't say I'm surprised.

Soldato
Cards have turned up today :D

Just testing them now before getting the w/blocks on later today. So far so good. Will have some pics of blocks later today or tomorrow.

Quality of these has surprised me. They do look and feel really top quality. Weighs a tonne compared to my ref Ti's.

Bought some other stuff so ended up with 3 bags haribo lol.

Add me kaap :)

Edit: Both cards boosting by themselves up to 1911mhz dead with no overclock. Overclocked both are boosting to over 2.1ghz with no voltage increase. Can't wait to get these under water!

Last edited:
Soldato
I know all the answers to your questions but really can't discuss this stuff further in public.

Would you like to PM me and ill do it? ;). Only joking.

All id like to know is when will you guys have the STRIX in so i know when to expect its arrival and i can benchmark against SLIed 980s :cool:

Associate
I think the power limit is either due to a limitation of the new architecture... OR they don't want to uncover the full potential of the 1080 as it'd probably close the gap between the 1080 and whatever their next card is (1080Ti, Titan)

Could be wrong but it's just my thoughts. Obviously those who know the reason won't/can't tell us folk anyways

Back
Top Bottom