• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Official OcUK RX480 4GB and 8GB review thread

Soldato
I'm really disappointed to see so many AMD apologists who were expressly expecting more not say a bad word about this and just spend all their time defending it.

I get that you dont want your favored brand to take a hit and of course there's the 'well if Nvidia have it all their way' arguments, but it all still strikes me as quite dishonest.

The card is disappointing. Not bad at all, just disappointing given the expectations and circumstances. I also get that there's probably a reasonable amount of unjustified negativity, but still. Seems like that is just giving some an excuse to find positives to point out.

Disappointing is subjective, I mean most people here have 390s/970s or better so I get that its a disappointing release after all the hype of it being Nano level performance. However for someone looking for a new build or an upgrade from a lower card like a 750ti, the 480 is much more exciting.

Associate
I have a GTX670 and this card hits the sweet spot for me - I'll probably wait to see what the AIB versions come in at but I'll almost certainly be picking one up regardless.

Soldato
How many times do I have to refute that this isn't what is going on before you stop actually using it as an excuse?

You're like a creationist whose arguments are thoroughly debunked on a daily basis, yet you still use them over and over anyways because it's all you got and you figure if enough people haven't heard them, it'll work some of the time.

You haven't debunked anything, all you have done is talk down to me with your usual condescending crap.

When Polaris was first talked about, long before AMD did their announcement, people were expecting it to be a high end mid range card. That's the facts. But, even after the announcement that Polaris 10 were 380 replacements people still expected a card that would beat the 980. And the hype rose and rose until people were comparing it to 980ti and maybe overclocking to 1070 speeds. Gibbo had to come in and stop that train of thought.

Then suddenly this card was crap because it was only coming in at 970 performance levels. You youself said that you were expecting the card at stock to be faster than the 980.

And now the card is released it's a failure because it isn't what you wanted to be. People still clung to the belief, right up to the final reviews that it was going to be faster than a 980. Heck if you look through the threads some people still expected 980ti performance and were disappointed because of that.

My point still stands, people with 970's and 390's on these forums were hoping that they could change to Polaris when it came out. This didn't change even though AMD said this was a 380x replacement. So their disappointment is more from where they were hoping the card would perform.

Soldato
And the hype rose and rose until people were comparing it to 980ti and maybe overclocking to 1070 speeds. Gibbo had to come in and stop that train of thought.

Stop blaming these "people", it was you. Along with the others who's names all strangely begin with m.

You were all hyping that wccf fake "hands on" (which conveniently they have buried under a couple weeks worth of clickbait and spew now) despite trashing them constantly until they posted something that you liked.

Permabanned
Disappointing is subjective, I mean most people here have 390s/970s or better so I get that its a disappointing release after all the hype of it being Nano level performance. However for someone looking for a new build or an upgrade from a lower card like a 750ti, the 480 is much more exciting.

I think he means the hype train photos I did post in the 480X thread and state my thoughts and people said i missed the hype train. There was never ever going to be a card to match the GTX 980 at £200 i said this clearly.

But im shocked for them to get a 970 card for £219 i mean come on lads i am not a fanboy for either side you all know this and i am subjective but AMD are sinking... They were a budget brand that normally came up with the goods but not anymore. They do not even compete in the high end anymore and now they are not even dominating the middle either. I said they should have went with one card only in the midrange and used Crossfire with split screen rendering to compete in the high end by simply using two or four GPU's.

Now they will pay for this mistake sack someone and listen for god sake before Nvidia start charging £700 for a single GPU.

Man of Honour
Well, that's disappointing. An OK card at an OK price with a rather bad reference version (crap cooler, crap power supply setup).

Maybe a version with a decent cooler and a power supply setup that's actually able to properly supply the card while remaining in spec will make it more attractive. A decent cooler and an 8-pin supply should help a lot and it looks like it scales well with overclocking.

Hmm...are there any tests on how much (if any) it throttles at stock due to power consumption? I wouldn't be surprised if it does. My 7950 throttles a lot at stock due solely to power consumption (3rd party cooler - temps are low at stock) unless I undervolt it and increase the allowed power draw and unlike the RX480 it's not exceeding specified power limits for the motherboard. You can't tell unless you're continuously monitoring the clock speed.

OcUK Staff
There is quite a few dx12 games coming up this year. I think this card is going to really shine soon.

This.
Even I am surprised at initial sales, we've now passed 1000, because this card is a totally amazing upgrade for 80% of gaming market and even better future proof due to its excellent DX12 performance and 8GB of VRAM. :)

Soldato
This.
Even I am surprised at initial sales, we've now passed 1000, because this card is a totally amazing upgrade for 80% of gaming market and even better future proof due to its excellent DX12 performance and 8GB of VRAM. :)

It would be another sale too, except I'm sort of holding off for the non-reference cards which I suspect a fair few other people are as well. That said, I might just decide to get one of these and be done with it.

Soldato
It would be another sale too, except I'm sort of holding off for the non-reference cards which I suspect a fair few other people are as well. That said, I might just decide to get one of these and be done with it.

Agreed. I know a few waiting to see what AIB cards do. It needs to be at 980+ levels to get the sale, otherwise it's save for Vega.

A 1070 would be the next option but Gsync monitor tax is off putting as is the way performance drops off when the next gen arrives.

Associate
Agreed. I know a few waiting to see what AIB cards do. It needs to be at 980+ levels to get the sale, otherwise it's save for Vega.

A 1070 would be the next option but Gsync monitor tax is off putting as is the way performance drops off when the next gen arrives.

Not sure if you missed it, but one owner already tried overclocking it with a custom cooler, and reached 1425Mhz. So 1500-1600 shouldn't be impossible for AIB cards. 1425Mhz

Associate
Would I get a GTX 1070 over a RX480 if I could afford it? Hell, yeah. But I can't. Was I expecting GTX 1070 performance from the RX480? Heck, no. Performance wise the card is where I was expecting it to be. From an enthusiast point of view is it rubbish? Yeah, it probably is, but I cannot afford to be an enthusiast irl and as a consumer it's a good deal. So have I bought one? Yep, sure have & I can't wait to slap in my rig as it's a great card for the price for those of us that have been waiting to upgrade.

Soldato
Would I get a GTX 1070 over a RX480 if I could afford it? Hell, yeah. But I can't. Was I expecting GTX 1070 performance from the RX480? Heck, no. Performance wise the card is where I was expecting it to be. From an enthusiast point of view is it rubbish? Yeah, it probably is, but I cannot afford to be an enthusiast irl and as a consumer it's a good deal. So have I bought one? Yep, sure have & I can't wait to slap in my rig as it's a great card for the price for those of us that have been waiting to upgrade.

Yes to all this. I think AMD's advertising is very clear and to the point - they're not targetting the big spenders and high-end, they're bringing what was the high-end to everybody else. Their whole "1%'s" marketing is spot on for what they're aiming for and I think they're really achieving it. They'll attack the high end later, with Vega.

Soldato

Definately. If any rumours are to be believed the custom cards will be much higher clocked, run cooler and quieter. Win win if the price isnt extortionate.

Back
Top Bottom