• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD freesync coming soon, no extra costs.... shocker

Caporegime
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7641/amd-demonstrates-freesync-free-gsync-alternative-at-ces-2014

So AMD can use something they've supported in hardware for 2 generations and is on at least Kaveri and Kabini, likely Trinity forward at a guess.

It uses a VESA standard to enable variable refresh rates, it's something some existing screens can already do, it's just not completely finished.

Way to go Nvidia, taking a standard and a move towards "freesync" and jumping the gun early, adding hardware, and cost and then charging ONLY Nvidia customers the extra.

Nothing like taking something a monitor can do(3d) calling it something new(3dvision) and only charging your own customers more to use a feature you advertise as being a feature of your cards.

It's almost like that is exactly what I said was the case, that this could be done insanely easily, little did I know that the actual feature required on monitors is part of the Vesa standard, but I did say that in the future all screens would support this as essentially a normal feature.

So Nvidia fans, are you once again happy to be charged extra for something monitor makers already fully intended to support FOR FREE, and that only Nvidia hardware buyers will be forced into the extra cost or locked out via drivers for the product you've paid for?

Last edited:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7641/amd-demonstrates-freesync-free-gsync-alternative-at-ces-2014

So AMD can use something they've supported in hardware for 2 generations and is on at least Kaveri and Kabini, likely Trinity forward at a guess.

It uses a VESA standard to enable variable refresh rates, it's something some existing screens can already do, it's just not completely finished.

Way to go Nvidia, taking a standard and a move towards "freesync" and jumping the gun early, adding hardware, and cost and then charging ONLY Nvidia customers the extra.

Nothing like taking something a monitor can do(3d) calling it something new(3dvision) and only charging your own customers more to use a feature you advertise as being a feature of your cards.

It's almost like that is exactly what I said was the case, that this could be done insanely easily, little did I know that the actual feature required on monitors is part of the Vesa standard, but I did say that in the future all screens would support this as essentially a normal feature.

So Nvidia fans, are you once again happy to be charged extra for something monitor makers already fully intended to support FOR FREE, and that only Nvidia hardware buyers will be forced into the extra cost or locked out via drivers for the product you've paid for?

Every post I read of yours is pure hatred towards Nvidia isnt it?

You want to sure us on the little green doll where they touched you? :D

right or wrong about this issue it gets tiresome

Nvidia bring some of the hate on themselves tbh. They wanna charge you for just about every extra they provide yet the other side can usually bring similar stuff for free.

Last edited:
Every post I read of yours is pure hatred towards Nvidia isnt it?

You want to sure us on the little green doll where they touched you? :D

It's experience of nvidia's tactics over the years, combined with inside knowledge tbh. Not everyone will understand, but that's ok as long as some of us do and try to shine the light ;)

edit - Ahhh, I see you could be a nVidia apologist. Ignore me, it won't penetrate :p

You really do hate Nvidia don't you, DM?

Anyway, this is great for AMD fans - but from what I read, it is not as good as G-Sync, which is to be expected from a free feature. However, indeed, it is the right direction AMD are heading in with this as Anand says at the end of the article.

You really do hate Nvidia don't you, DM?

Work in the industry for a wee while, then you'll understand

I personally have nothing against their GPU's, brute force as they are (wood screws and all!). It's just that their aggression must only come from one place, the very top...

But this IS business and it can be a harsh environment, so maybe I'm being a bit of a wuss :D

Last edited:
As brilliant as this news possibly is (I'm going to assume/hope that this may work with my Samsung 700D with my R9 290 all kosher?)
AMD had to wait this long why?

It will work with the 290 for sure, a 7970 for sure, I think probably 5870 or maybe 6970 onwards.

As for time, Vesa standards, I've made so many posts pointing out the hilarity of the awfulness of industry standards. In terms of them being set, and adopted. One of the key reasons for screens above 1080p and higher def smaller screens is a lack of a standard. Mobile devices don't have this issue as they design their own chips and can connect to the screens however the hell they want inside their own device. Samsung/Asus/however have to choose and use a industry standard and add particular ports to their monitors and then ship them so they work with everything, very different situation. 4k screens come with all sorts of substandard stupid arrangements purely because no one could decide the best way forward.

AMD designed a standard, handed it off, one display port cable, sorted, could have been done 5 years ago and saved people the insanity that is two dual link dvi cables for one screen with screens with controllers that split the screen into two and have multiple issues.

When this feature got added to Vesa, who knows, when a screen out today was finalised in design, who knows.

Maybe we'll see that a huge number of existing screens support it, the much more likely scenario is some do, potentially some can be firmware flashed, but realistically as with most things. Industries don't add extra features they don't think are required. I would hazard a guess it means new screens, but it will be a basic feature of the normal controller chips inside screens, no $150 cost increase for a stupid FPGA. nvidia is doing it solely to lock in their own customers so they can disable this mode on screens they don't want it working on.

Obviously the new Asus ROG screen could have the free standard feature, but will cost more, have G-sync branding and use Nvidia's method.

If it is supported on older screens like also my 700d, I'll be pretty surprised, I can hope but I'm not expecting it.

As I've said in previous threads, I simply expect Nvidia's g-sync to be a lock in and a way to get to market first, pay some monitor makers to push a g-sync version first and make both parties some extra cash at one group of users expense. From the relatively near future I expect most screens to support it.

This is fundamentally useful tech for power saving, it's semi used in mobile already but in very different ways/reasons and most of Nvidia's patents linked to in another thread were about mobile power saving applications.

This is likely where the time to market comes, coming up with good algorithms to determine when you can drop refresh rate, save power but without effecting the end user. Get that right and you can save power on every screen produced, which for mobile is a killer feature with the screen usually the biggest power draw.

Well, i wouldn't buy a G-sync monitor as I refuse to be tied down to a particular vendor.

And if nvidia blocked their gpus working with free sync monitors, I'd dump them in a heart beat.

This begs a few questions though.

Why was this free sync functionality never brought up before, if it's been in the works for years?

Nvidia must have known about it, so how did they expect they'd be able to charge for G-sync?

Is this really the same as G-sync, or kind of like a cheap 'works like but not quite'?

Work in the industry for a wee while, then you'll understand

I personally have nothing against their GPU's, brute force as they are (wood screws and all!). It's just that their aggression must only come from one place, the very top...

But this IS business and it can be a harsh environment, so maybe I'm being a bit of a wuss :D

I couldn't care less about their apparent aggression, the GPUs they produce are great on the whole - therefore I buy them. And, as you say, this is business, so Nvidia just does what they have to do.

It's experience of nvidia's tactics over the years, combined with inside knowledge tbh. Not everyone will understand, but that's ok as long as some of us do and try to shine the light ;)

edit - Ahhh, I see you could be a nVidia apologist. Ignore me, it won't penetrate :p

I'm an apologist for both to be honest as I go green/red gen to gen. I'm in this business for games and graphiks and I find it hard to understand why people can physically hate a company they can choose to buy from........ or not

And I would wager a bet that AMD would have charged us for it had they been first.

Back
Top Bottom