Vista/Stalker save game crashes [FIXED]

Associate
Right-o, like a lot of people I've been pretty "annoyed" at not being able to play stalker without crashing to desktop in Vista every time I save, hit escape, etc. etc. when running in DX9 mode....

Finally this afternoon a working solution! I've been playing for the last 2-3 hours without a single crash, I can save, running at 1920x1200 res with everything maxed....

You need to manually patch the binary using the Microsoft Binary File editor to large memory addressing and also adjust the boot parameters of Vista. I believe it's slightly different in 64bit Vista (which I'm not running) but I'm sure someone can add to this post once that's been worked out.

Copy the XR_3DA.exe to a safe location (In case it all goes wrong)
For a command prompt (run with admin rights)
editbin /LARGEADDRESSAWARE XR_3DA.exe
BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 2900

Now the only problem with this solution is sourcing the EDITBIN utility that comes with Visual Studio (For those with VS, Find it in the VC98\BIN directory under the main Visual Studio directory).

BCDEDIT is part of Vista so that's not a problem....

Last edited:
Theres a similar solution in the GSC forums

http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums

As many of you, when i pressed Escape to go to the menu to save i got dropped to desktop.
Like on "supreme commander" on vista, memory management seems to be the problem.
So you can fix that with this patch: http://files.filefront.com/3GB_enabler2zip/;6791818;;/fileinfo.html
this patch/solution was release for supreme commander but it works for me on stalker.
Just replace all "supremecommander.exe" with "XR_3DA.exe" on the startme.bat file.
This patch will modify the header of XR_3DA.exe to have this option: "Application can handle large (>2GB) addresses"

Not tried it yet though

Well if anybody wants to try this, ive manged to find out how to back up and restore.

bcdedit /export "D:\BCD Backup\Bcd Backup" Creates a backup to a pre-created folder, in this case “BCD Backup” on drive D:

bcdedit /import "D:\BCD Backup\Bcd Backup" Restores the backup previously created

Will report back later to see if its fixed

Let's rehash what this does - the first line makes sure the game executable can access more than 2GB of memory while the second line specifies the amount of memory for user-mode virtual address space (in this case 2900 which is 2969.6Mb of memory). The rest of the memory would be used by windows as kernel-mode address space.
So, since the author didn't explain what it does - for anyone with 2Gb this is won't fix anything and setting user space to more than physical memory will allow the game to temporarily use more of it, creating placebo effect, until game and windows progs in the background eventually run out of memory and start crashing.

celliott said:
Why would you want to run in DX9 Mode / How :confused: I just installed it and used straight away so I assume its on DX10
Nope. Stalker has been in production since DX8's high period, it's just good fortune really that the devs added dx9 effects.

The first games that make use of DX10 are a wee while away yet.

I am having the crash problem too, but i am running XP sp2!! i cant even get past the first mission as it crashes ALL the time and needs a restart!

I also have an ATI card and aparently this is also what is causing the problem as they focused more on the Nvidia cards then ATI :(

BRING OUT A PATCH AND QUICK!!!

Back
Top Bottom