Project: Danger

Soldato
OP
Apologies for the lack of updates peeps but as its my first wc build i was never intending to rush it :)

Am still waiting on the fingers to recover from the angle grinding session before i get cracking.

On the plus side after going through every colour and effect imaginable have finally decided on a colour/effect scheme for the case.

While this pic may not do the effect justice by the time i use a spray on satin finish varnish it should look fine, coupled with a "splash" of red on the psu and braiding am looking forward to the finished product :)

If funds permit i may alter the build to an sr-2 as i picked up 2 xeon L5640 at a reasonable price on members market, they work fine in the rampage 3 extreme but you know how it is 24 threads is better than 12 if your crunching :D

Soldato
OP
Thought i would get cracking on the case :)

The stage is set .... this is where the joy of being single pays dividends no "what do you think your doing to my kitchen" and eyes over your shoulder :)

Start with something easy like the case front of the 800D, with only a very slight sanding its good to go.

First coat done thanks to £1 a can from your local poundland :)

On with the stone effect stuff a tad more at £7 per can well you can't win 'em all :)

Am pleased with it so far and by the time its done it should take on a life of its own with the red thats going into it :)

Soldato
OP
Minor update just to keep you interested hopefully :)

Motherboard tray is done and worked out as planned have put a few pcie blanks in to give you an idea of the overall colour scheme.

Once i have saved enough for an sr-2 it will replace the r3. Had to order some bits today which should be here tommorrow and have everything up and running by tommorrow evening.

Once i do i will be takeing out the hex screws one by one to do them in red to match.

The xspc rx 480 that was "hanging" off the back is history i just couldn't get used to it looked like a bad case of piles so am going to try and get 2 x 240 in the psu bay this should be fun :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looking good Mr T ! cant wait to see the finish item and you've got me thinking about going 2011 now lol :o

Dont be blaming me for your 2011 ideas :p

Everything is ready to go case is finished inside n out, a few hardware upgrades i kept quiet aboot .... just a darn shame i cant finish it that angle grinder am sure theres some shards stuck in me fingers a right mess now you know why i called it project danger :mad::rolleyes::(

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the comments chaps much appreciated :)

Well its 90 percent done :cool:

Friday i decided i was not happy with the loop and out came the tea towels tube cutters and the pan, i will get around to installing the koolance quick release gadgets at some point but i just went in hard n fast this time :)

Saturday morning and it was all dissmantled, parts covering the kitchen and bedroom ... this was not a good example of an orderly build but what the heck it was my first wc build so i plodded on.
Made mental note never to spray fan grills a red colour on too small a piece of paper as it leaves a right nasty stain behind.

By saturday evening it was shaping up nicely with the spray i had done earlier. Most of the parts were in that i wanted just need to decide how to go with the dual bay res red or the granite effect argggh and the top display screen.
Then i realised i was putting all the gubbins in an 800d and had sprayed the 700d front cover never mind think it looks better this way.

Didn't realise how much i wanted the sr-2 mobo until i was putting this together but funds dont permit as yet so a lot of the "rough edges" like the rear of the case am waiting on some modders mesh and am not going to permanently fasten the tray down untill i have the sr-2.
Likewise with the psu and the finer cosmetic touches its going to wait until i can get the new mobo but on the whole am fairly pleased with how its gone so far.

Sunday the good stuff went in 4 gtx 470's decided to replace the black backplates with chrome effect for no other reason than i had some laying around along with the r3 and a xeon l5640 hex core 12 threaded beastie that should dish out the seti work units in no time :)

The top was the part i thought hardest about believe it or not fans/shrouds whatnot but thought a radguard and a tin of the old insignia red sets it off just right .... pity about spraying over the bitspower logo but heyho :rolleyes:

In good old fashioned mfi unit building tradition i had a ton of stuff left over, so when funds permit theres this little lot that could be put to good use.

The biggest goof was going in blind with the angle grinder i managed to shear the shelf corner off but thats on the spare case so will just have to get a new one in time.

Putting it all together was not so bad but had the headache of all time with windows and 4 gpu's that took another 24 hours to sort out. Have the red braided cables to install waiting on the modders mesh and got myself a spare 800d side panel that am going to have a "play about" with to show the gubbins to full effect.

It was a lot harder than i thought it would be but yup am satisfied with it and look forward to putting an sr-2 in there, sure there are things i could have done better but i tried my best at the time dont be shy about any criticism you might have but bare in mind it was my first so go easy :o:D

Soldato
OP
Cheers Nige :)

Suprisingly good everything is at stock for the minute cpu averages 33 on 65% load and all 4 gpu's on 27 idle

The real acid test comes tonight when i start crunching again and crank up the overclocks .... and oc the xeon ;)

Back
Top Bottom