• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Caporegime
Just stock.

For a laugh I tried seeing what my max clocks were. I can't hit 1200Mhz even with +200mV :p Oh well.

Is that with the memory at stock? Wow thats incredible. I can hit 1200mhz/1625mhz on both cards with +100mv. Not sure if that's 100% game stable but its Unigine Valley/Heaven stable with no artifacts which are both longer benches.

Soldato
Is that with the memory at stock? Wow thats incredible. I can hit 1200mhz/1625mhz on both cards with +100mv. Not sure if that's 100% game stable but its Unigine Valley/Heaven stable with no artifacts which are both longer benches.

Yep, memory at stock. At 1200/1250 +200mV it runs for a bit but artifacts and is unstable.

Soldato
memory seemed unhappy above 1450 without volts boost, (20% power limit)

but ran Valley fine at stock volts and +20% at 1100/1450

if thats stable at stock volts at those speeds I'll be well happy - literally double the result of my heavily overclocked 570 - it scored something like 2750

Soldato
was getting weird artefacts in desktop so have bumped up volts to +100mV

looking ok so far (run of Valley) at 1190/1500 but lots of further testing required

scored almost 2900 in Valley- nice :)

Soldato
Got my new toys today and just finished putting it altogether.

Things got a little messy....

WP_20140524_012_zps9744c309.jpg

Now I can finally do a 290X Eyefinity review properly. The 4770S is keeping the 290X nicely fed so there should be no obvious bottlenecks this time. My completely bone stock 3DMark11 score is 12,547 which seems pretty decent. Certainly beats the 8,510 it scored with the 760K @ 4.4Ghz. :p

Got lots of testing to do and probably a late night benchmarking. :D

Soldato
what fantastic cards these 290s are

Prepar3D is smooth as silk near maxed out with 8x AA - and looks great

to my surprise Kerbal is way smoother than my 570 also

settled for +38mV and 1160 core 1440 mem

mem starts getting tetchy above 1480 - although seemed ok at 1500 with 100mV

Caporegime
what fantastic cards these 290s are

Prepar3D is smooth as silk near maxed out with 8x AA - and looks great

to my surprise Kerbal is way smoother than my 570 also

settled for +38mV and 1160 core 1440 mem

mem starts getting tetchy above 1480 - although seemed ok at 1500 with 100mV

Nice one. Never heard of those games if im honest. Those are decent clocks for the volts though.

Soldato
cheers

they are all games you woldn't really think of an upgraded GPU making a difference :)

Prepar3D is the L. Martin version of FSX that can now be bought

enjoyed BF4 last night with Mantle - have to admit it did feel rather smooth - but then this is going from a much less powerful gpu anyway :)

never heard of Kerbal ? wow .... :) its rather popular on here

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Soldato
Over the last few weeks, and now I come to think about it these issues may have been from the start but have suddenly got worse, I've started to get glitches (artefacts) when gaming with my MSI R9 290 Gaming and on the desktop. The thing is these have been intermittent.

L:ast night I played Saints Row 4 with no issues but this morning it glitched like a mofo and I will get a screenshot when I can. I've just been out and when I got back I tried Saints again and no glitching. The same has happened on Crysis 3 recently and everytime I've closed the game and reloaded the glitching is no longer there. But now it is coming back at an increasingly frequent rate.

My desktop occasionally gets squares on it that flicker, quite big squares, and a reboot gets rid of them but these squares are still infrequent.

I'm not overcloked on GPU or CPU, though i have set profiles for both in case I ever need them, and all setting for the GPU are at stock.

I've left a thread in the customer services forum so waiting to see what they say.

Damn it. Grrrrrrr.

Oh, and it's not the in game glitching showing the simulation of Saint's Row IV I'm talking about before anyone mentions that :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Over the last few weeks, and now I come to think about it these issues may have been from the start but have suddenly got worse, I've started to get glitches (artefacts) when gaming with my MSI R9 290 Gaming and on the desktop. The thing is these have been intermittent.

L:ast night I played Saints Row 4 with no issues but this morning it glitched like a mofo and I will get a screenshot when I can. I've just been out and when I got back I tried Saints again and no glitching. The same has happened on Crysis 3 recently and everytime I've closed the game and reloaded the glitching is no longer there. But now it is coming back at an increasingly frequent rate.

My desktop occasionally gets squares on it that flicker, quite big squares, and a reboot gets rid of them but these squares are still infrequent.

I'm not overcloked on GPU or CPU, though i have set profiles for both in case I ever need them, and all setting for the GPU are at stock.

I've left a thread in the customer services forum so waiting to see what they say.

Damn it. Grrrrrrr.

Oh, and it's not the in game glitching showing the simulation of Saint's Row IV I'm talking about before anyone mentions that :p

Try bumping the voltage one or two notches. If that fixes it, then you know the problem.

Associate
I have the MSI R9 290 and i'm so disappointed by this card :( . I can't enjoy Downsampling, TXAA, HBAO+ and Physx (OMG physix is so freaking awesome!) :< I really dont understand what this card have over GTX 780 ?

Back
Top Bottom