• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI GTX970 and Nvidia Drivers problem

Soldato
MSI GTX970 and Nvidia Drivers problem, other brands..?

Hi

When I had a clean install of the 344.16 drivers for my MSI GTX 970 all seemed well. Then a clean install of the newly released 344.48 drivers also seemed fine until I noticed this....

....if you look under the Fan Speed (RPM) you will see red blips every thirty seconds or so which shows that both the cooling fans spin up to around 800rpm for a few seconds and then stops. Checking with the case cover off and it confirms the stopping and starting of the fans. This will repeat forever, or so it seems.

This did not happen with the previous 344.16 drivers and going back to them gives me this...

....no "polling" or regular spinning up of the cooling fans. So for now I have kept to the 344.16 release.

I have noted it over at the driver feedback section at Geforce...

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-display-driver-feedback-thread-10-22-14-/32/

...which if you notice it to you might want to add your post.

I did notice that someone had linked a video showing this happening with these drivers....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzTTkSvGgZU

and they too, and a couple of other people, noted that going back to the 344.16 drivers resolved that.

As you do not hear the fans as the come on and off people might not have noticed it happening, but it can't be a good thing.

Anyone else seen this...?

Last edited:
Mine is the same with 344.48 drivers, I haven't checked with the previous drivers though.

h7r.png

opethdisciple said:
Ouch!!

Just when i was thinking about to pulling the trigger on the MSI as well.
Would be interesting to see other peoples sensor readings for other brands, as well as 980's, just to see if it's soley a driver issue, not card specific.

Because this is an issue that people might not be aware of I also wondered if it does the same with any other brand of 9x0 card and the 344.48 drivers, or does it seem to be only the MSI card which acts in this way...?

lol

Ditto to what Nelly just posted :D

Hi,

Yes I get the same thing with both my 980's. Trouble is whilst its obviously not quite right, I far prefer these drivers. I'm not convinced it would cause damage to the fan... should we really be that worried from that perspective? (I appreciate we all want it fixed of course)

I'm not sure either of the detrimental effect to the card or fans long term, but it can't be a good thing.
What brand are your cards..?

For those who do have this issue please note it over at the Geforce forum and if the issue does seem spefic to MSI then they can be informed,

So apart from the physx bug, voltage discrepancies with sli bug and now a fan bug, the drivers are in great shape! :p

Nah these niggles aside, my system is very stable and gaming is pretty bloody great. Just going to be a pain with every driver release, testing if these issues are resolved. Ho hum the price of jumping on new kit quickly.

Last edited:
MSI AMD - Fan Oil Leaking, Fan's failing - Blames the User
MSI NVidia - Has fan issues, releases a BIOS to fix fan problems
MSI GTX 970 - Fan randomly coming on

What is it with this company? They seem to have gone down hill in fan problems. They were brilliant with the 560ti's +

Neil79 said:
MSI AMD - Fan Oil Leaking, Fan's failing - Blames the User
MSI NVidia - Has fan issues, releases a BIOS to fix fan problems
MSI GTX 970 - Fan randomly coming on

What is it with this company? They seem to have gone down hill in fan problems. They were brilliant with the 560ti's +
I'm not entirely sure this issue is with MSI, because the Nvidia release driver doesn't have the issue.

Just wish a few people with Gigabyte, Asus, KFA2, Inno3D etc cards would let us know if they have the same issue, then we would know either way. :)

Last edited:
Exactly the same issue here. Oddly though, as I'm running two in SLI these brief bouts of the fans spinning alternate between the cards. As one card starts and stops, 15 seconds later the other card will do the same.

Back
Top Bottom