• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Associate
Has anyone noticed that on some of the posts where they have pictured the AIB reference cards at online stores it says that they support DP, HDMI and Crossfire X.

Anyone know if AMD have actually fiddled with Crossfire to make it better or at least more in tune with the Explicit Multi-GPU of DX12 ?
:confused:

Only thing I know about crossfire is what Gibbo hinted at in his lost that sent everyone insane. He hinted they would be good in Crossfire and match a 980ti. Or at least that is what I got from his post.

Associate
Depends on what you are looking for? If you want a card matching 1070 or even Nano at stock then look elsewhere.

No-one knows at this stage, lets be fair here. Wait for reviews on 29th :)

EDIT - apologies, just noticed your 'at stock' part of comment.

Saying that, if the card did clock like a beast and beat both those cards would you not still get it over the 1070? I know I would.:D

Associate
A realistic price for the 8GB one might be about £230, which we have known since AMD themselves published pricing.

yet if confirmed channel price is 169+vat - *seems still a little high as pound to dollar is for 229 which is the launch price is 153.76 today......*

so if the channel price is correct 8 gig would land 202.8 - 230 is fairly large mark up......

Anything higher than 220 for a ref honestly is gouging......

199 is 133.74 today - so most likely 4g channel price is 145+vat which is 174; so coming in at 200 again gouging..... as really price to move would be 190 or even 185; you're still making healthy profit and there's enough different between the 4g and 8g.

Otherwise all it does is push people to buy the 8g over the 4g as price different is nil..

Associate
No-one knows at this stage, lets be fair here. Wait for reviews on 29th :)

EDIT - apologies, just noticed your 'at stock' part of comment.

Saying that, if the card did clock like a beast and beat both those cards would you not still get it over the 1070? I know I would.:D

To be fair a card that would run BF4/1 at decent settings at 1440 would be my ideal, but I can't justify 1080/70 price.

Suspended
Quick update from you guys...( dont have time to read through all the "leaked" stuff and to be honest I wouldn't know what any of it was saying to me)

Still a card to wait for?

There are a lot of fake leaks.

AMD published SteamVR performance wich is significantly lower than a 970, another said; up to 980 at best.

So unless there is a lot of down playing going on here IMO it looks like another laugthing stock in the waiting, but you should wait anyway, its only 6 days before we know for sure.

Last edited:
Soldato
yeh the gibbo post was pretty good, it was not what people wanted to hear but it was a bit like being cruel to be kind, I think unrealistic expectations would only do the 480 more harm than good.

While I don't think the performance will be anything near 980ti levels, I don't believe Gibbo can give any indication to what the performance levels will be like. He is under NDA. Not forgetting that he is in the sales business, he is going to keep people interested in the 980ti for as long as possible. It was a very clever post by him.

Associate
Quick update from you guys...( dont have time to read through all the "leaked" stuff and to be honest I wouldn't know what any of it was saying to me)

Still a card to wait for?

Yes reports in that the rx480 is that fast one reviewer could not handle just how fast it was.. he got so excited and so did his pc take a look. Great work from AMD right there ....

giphy.gif

Associate
well if thats 100 fps at 1080 thats not good. i have a overclocked 970 which gets avg 120 fps solid on overwatch :p

as with anything lets take with huge tablespoons of salt until actual benchmarks appear.

dg what's your cpu? as he's said test system he's using is i5-6400 no oc 8 gigs of ram and no ssd......and dodgy drivers :D

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Then big stores (I.e OCUK) should try and sell at cost occasionally, seeing as we all know how much profit you make off of ridiculous pricing on some cards, for example the Hydro Coppers etc being £150 dearer than the official online store of said card.

Don't try and make out you are hard done by here. We all know you want to make a profit and why not, but price gauging isn't necessary;)

We price product based on many things. :)

1080 / 1070 we wer me cheapest at launch and are still very competitive and cheapest on several.

End up of day your free to buy from anywhere, OcUK is doing extremely well on VGA and growing so I'm doing something right. :)

P.S. We often sell at cost b or below on product, just not on Hydrocoppers. :)

Soldato
We price product based on many things. :)

1080 / 1070 we wer me cheapest at launch and are still very competitive and cheapest on several.

End up of day your free to buy from anywhere, OcUK is doing extremely well on VGA and growing so I'm doing something right. :)

Is the RX480 art piece ready and photographed?

Back
Top Bottom