• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

That Gif made me proper chuckle. Gibbo in one post severed this thread (and it was needed in truth). The 480 has its own market for now and that is what it will be good for. Hopefully it has a good run without competition, as I have a proper soft spot for AMD and would love to see them fighting NVidia via GPU wars (not the stupid forums and articles).

I am proper excited and for the first time, not really sure what to expect. I normally have a good idea of performance but so many contradicting leaks and some look about right and some look slow and some look fast but I have set my stall for 390X performance and will use that as the basis of performance without knowing what is what. Slower and disappointing really but faster and a real winner and at $200, a real winner for AMD's purse as well as the customers.

Greg I've been saying from the beginning 480 at stock speeds should be 980 possibly + in DX 11 speeds and DX 12 between nano and fury......and will get better with driver releases....

Where it OC too is the big unknown where it will land after that. Sapphire has confirmed 1500mhz ......but how it performs there and cooling with ref coolers is all stuff we still don't know......along with where aftermarket cards will hit with OC and extra power.......

this may or may not have been overwatch 4k as max settings x)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=933LBq34y8I&feature=youtu.be

This train is way too fast for me :eek:

ezgif.com-gif-makerfvuxd.gif

If anything, AMD would have created drivers with improvements but they are certainly not holding back on those drivers, as it would be the stoooopidist thing ever. You wouldn't ever purposefully cripple performance before a card is launched, as leaks will happen and you will make your card look less capable than it is. Nobody in their right mind would do that.

Unless you wanted to make the leakers look like idiots, and only your sanctioned press getting the correct results.

Looks like its performing as expected, 100 FPS in 1080p. Now if that was 1440p + that would be interesting

He also says in the comments that he has 'dodgy' drivers. so he more than likely was not running 16.6.2 drivers which have the polaris features enabled.

edit- looking to the end of the video he also had most settings on ultra, just render scale on high so 100% scaling.

Last edited:
Unless you wanted to make the leakers look like idiots, and only your sanctioned press getting the correct results.

Isn't the whole idea that everyone under NDA are sanctioned press, just that the leakers (providing they aren't fake) manage to get the info/cards anyway through whatever sneaky means they do?

I think the leakers will get the best drivers when the 'sanctioned press' do, so it's all a matter of timing.

Last edited:
He also says in the comments that he has 'dodgy' drivers. so he more than likely was not running 16.6.2 drivers which have the polaris features enabled.

edit- looking to the end of the video he also had most settings on ultra, just render scale on high so 100% scaling.

Heres hoping that the performance increases. I want to get two for Crossfire as my single 290x is like a storage heater. I would have gone NV but I have a freesync and couldnt do without it now

Isn't the whole idea that everyone under NDA are sanctioned press, just that the leakers (providing they aren't fake) manage to get the info/cards anyway through whatever sneaky means they do?

We've seen people do dodgy stuff (like the guy who swapped coolers because he thought it was a NDA loophole). Those that do leak and aren't under NDA get the wrong results and become less believable in the future. It's all about control of information, and making sure that anyone untrustworthy gets smoked out and blacklisted for the next event.

It really wouldn't surprise me to find AMD want people to say performance is better than expectations at launch, rather than worse.

Heres hoping that the performance increases. I want to get two for Crossfire as my single 290x is like a storage heater. I would have gone NV but I have a freesync and couldnt do without it now

Carta...as a crossfire user I would advise you not to bother. Its as bad as its ever been right now, scaling and driver support for new games is pretty much non existent. Yes it's amazing when you get a decent profile which in fairness the older games have now, it's amazing for benchmarking, but you end up waiting so long for a crossfire driver when buying a new released game these days. Save your pennies and wait for single big daddy Vega.

Carta...as a crossfire user I would advise you not to bother. Its as bad as its ever been right now, scaling and driver support for new games is pretty much non existent. Yes it's amazing when you get a decent profile which in fairness the older games have now, it's amazing for benchmarking, but you end up waiting so long for a crossfire driver when buying a new released game these days. Save your pennies and wait for single big daddy Vega.

Don't say that as I'm in the same 290x to possible 480 crossfire carriage true (I assume we continue with the train analogies right?)

Looks like its performing as expected, 100 FPS in 1080p. Now if that was 1440p + that would be interesting

well if thats 100 fps at 1080 thats not good. i have a overclocked 970 which gets avg 120 fps solid on overwatch :p

as with anything lets take with huge tablespoons of salt until actual benchmarks appear.

Think thats the best route?

I am looking forward to it. Not sure what testing methodology I will be using as of yet but will see how it does at 1440P and 1080P and go from there. I might have to use 1080P for recording, as I had a PITA time with Raptr and trying to record the Afterburner overlay with my Fury X but my Avermedia capture card had no problems but restricted to 1080P sadly :(

I am a bit of a wind up merchant at work, so I doubt there is anything you can come up with that I haven't already been called :D

With the amount of money you spend on graphics cards why don't you just buy a 4k blackmagic device. I use them for my studio. They are cheap for studio stuff, but a little expensive for hobby gaming, but seeing as you spend so much and like to make these videos, then why not?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-blackmagic-video-assist-review

They have just released the 4K version of the above.

Last edited:
That Gif made me proper chuckle. Gibbo in one post severed this thread (and it was needed in truth). The 480 has its own market for now and that is what it will be good for. Hopefully it has a good run without competition, as I have a proper soft spot for AMD and would love to see them fighting NVidia via GPU wars (not the stupid forums and articles).

I am proper excited and for the first time, not really sure what to expect. I normally have a good idea of performance but so many contradicting leaks and some look about right and some look slow and some look fast but I have set my stall for 390X performance and will use that as the basis of performance without knowing what is what. Slower and disappointing really but faster and a real winner and at $200, a real winner for AMD's purse as well as the customers.

yeh the gibbo post was pretty good, it was not what people wanted to hear but it was a bit like being cruel to be kind, I think unrealistic expectations would only do the 480 more harm than good.

anyways I'm already looking forward to the Hitler rant videos on the 29th, if they are at the expense of NVidia or amd they still make me laugh

Back
Top Bottom