• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060

Cool thanks for the reassurance. Paid £280 for the 980ti so feel like i've got a good deal.
£100 less than the 1070 for almost-there levels of performance (talking stock here, as that's a level that absolutely everyone can achieve), I'd say you got quite a good deal for sure :) £280 is actually about where the 980ti should be these days, but current price tiers are ridiculous so that's how much an expensive version of a 1060 costs!

Give it time and it will perform much better in DX12. Pascal is new and takes time to get everything working right and DX11 performance is good enough to not need DX12 in the games that have both.

I don't get this? Why? Microsoft announced Dx12 over 2 years ago,Nvidia claimed that they had been in development with Microsoft for four years previous to that.

Shouldn't they have had Dx12 drivers fully ready for Pascal launch?It's not as if the underlying architecture is that much different than Maxwell.

I don't get this? Why? Microsoft announced Dx12 over 2 years ago,Nvidia claimed that they had been in development with Microsoft for four years previous to that.

Shouldn't they have had Dx12 drivers fully ready for Pascal launch?It's not as if the underlying architecture is that much different than Maxwell.

Well of course you don't, as you will only see bad when it comes to Nvidia and fantastico with AMD. No point explaining to you sadly.

Maxwell was vaunted as great for DX12, actually supporting it better than GCN. Never really materialised, though.

haha, very true!

Completely forgot about those posts :D :D :D

*will surely deliver..... lets just wait.jpg*

As for the 1060, seems like a nice competitor to the 480, no real clear winner between the 2. Just a shame that the gouging is so high on all the new computer stuff here now especially these GPU's, if it weren't for 21.9 and PC games being cheaper overall, console would be mighty tempting especially the ps 4 with all its nice exclusive titles.

When it comes to the time for upgrading my 290, second hand from the MM is looking more likely than buying new from etailers...

I took the 480 Nitro+ just because of those promises, you can't trust a company that blatently lies to its users.

The 480 has better DX12 implementation, Vulcan especially as it was based on Mantle. I see it as the far better choice going forward, just look and the Doom Vulcan performance numbers to see that the 480 leaves the 1060 in the dust.

The 1060 is a good card, it should be around the £200 mark, but as it's got the, now familiar, NVidia tax.

TPU said the card normally boosted upto 1.974GHZ and the gains they saw from overclocking are mostly likely due to the memory overclock(just like with the RX480),as both cards are bandwidth limited it appears.

Edit!!

Looking at the computerbase.de review,depending on the mode,they show the MSI card being more like 6% to 8% faster,but test far less games than TPU.

Nvidia states the boost clock as 1708MHZ:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1060

All the cards are boosting way past the rated boost clocks.

So the card is pretty much maxing itself just to get the performance it has. so my theory was pretty much spot on from what the leaked 3dmark results were showing. that the 1060 has to overclock itself beyond its max boost to compete.

Look more like the RX480 has more potential in the overclocking compared to the 1060 then. The RX480 also has more cores it gains more performance per mhz in comparison.

AIB Rx480 shall be interesting to see benches of then, considering they should stay at max boost without thermal throttling like the reference.

What are peoples thoughts of the
'Palit GeForce GTX 1060 Dual'

I was going to get the MSI armor X but I've seen the Palit is a lot cheaper, and in stock.
Are the fans reasonably quite when they spin up?

So the card is pretty much maxing itself just to get the performance it has. so my theory was pretty much spot on from what the leaked 3dmark results were showing. that the 1060 has to overclock itself beyond its max boost to compete.

Look more like the RX480 has more potential in the overclocking compared to the 1060 then. The RX480 also has more cores it gains more performance per mhz in comparison.

AIB Rx480 shall be interesting to see benches of then, considering they should stay at max boost without thermal throttling like the reference.

Seen a few overclock results now and a decent jump over the stock clocks. The 480 appears to have room to oc nicely.

TPU said the card normally boosted upto 1.974GHZ and the gains they saw from overclocking are mostly likely due to the memory overclock(just like with the RX480),as both cards are bandwidth limited it appears.

Edit!!

Looking at the computerbase.de review,depending on the mode,they show the MSI card being more like 6% to 8% faster,but test far less games than TPU.

Nvidia states the boost clock as 1708MHZ:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1060

All the cards are boosting way past the rated boost clocks.

GPU boost 3.0 should take you within 25mhz or so of the maximum clocks of the core. 2.0 can still exceed the stated boost clock but leaves much more room.

Fantastic cards, completely obsoleted the Fury range - the 1060 is faster, cheaper, has 2GB more VRAM, consumes half the power, quieter, to name a few of it's advantages.

I bet OCUK are laughing at all the suckers who bought 4GB Fury's in the last week offers that popped up.

It may have no bearing on the 1060, but generally speaking the Palit/Gainward cards are usually amongst, if not THE quietest AIB coolers.

I've heard good things about them, especially when compared to more expensive cards. Only concern is 2 year warranty and the fact that I've never really heard of them as a brand before, did they rebrand?

Back
Top Bottom