Suggest some "war" movies

Soldato
Pretty much the title.

I have seen the usual ones,

Saving Private Ryan, Windtalkers, We Were Soldiers, Tears of the Sun... is there any other good movies that are similar to these?

I kinda felt in the mood to watch some recently, but not sure whats good and whats not...

Associate
The Band of Brothers series is definitely worth watching.

Movies-wise:

Apocalypse Now
Platoon
Hamburger Hill
Full Metal Jacket
Jarhead
The Trench
The Killing Fields
Enemy At The Gates

More to be found here:

Clicky

Man of Honour
MT01XP said:
The Band of Brothers series is definitely worth watching....
Yup, gotta vouch for that if you have not seen it, though you probably have, If you like/love saving private Ryan, this is a much more deep, brilliant series which is basically 10 hours of Saving Private Ryan, with the same high quality production. I'd actually prefer to sit through a few episoes of Band of Brothers than watch Saving Private Ryan, and SPR is one of my all time favourite films.

Soldato
OP
DaveyD said:
Yup, gotta vouch for that if you have not seen it, though you probably have, If you like/love saving private Ryan, this is a much more deep, brilliant series which is basically 10 hours of Saving Private Ryan, with the same high quality production. I'd actually prefer to sit through a few episoes of Band of Brothers than watch Saving Private Ryan, and SPR is one of my all time favourite films.

TBH mate, I missed Band Of Brothers... I will order the DVD of it I think :)

MT, I have only seen a few of those movies you mentioned... I tried to watch full metal jacket once, and didnt like it to much :o

Man of Honour
FMJ is worth another go but isn't all that. Same with Apoc. Now. Simply not as good as people would have you believe.

Platoon is excellent though, and Black Hawk Down and Rules of Engagement aren't bad - though RoE is more like A Few Good Men than the ones listed.

Soldato
Edinho said:
Not a film but read All Quiet On The Western Front. Its not a big book 200 pages on the futility and horror of war.

I'll second that, it's a wonderful book. I've read it about six times or something silly.

I don't agree with Gilly about FMJ but imho he's dead right about Apocalypse Now.. I wasn't very impressed at all, although I did watch the super duper long Redux version.

Associate
If you don't mind old films there's also:

The Longest Day
Battle of The Bulge
A Bridge Too Far
The Great Escape

There's loads. All Quite On The Western Front was made into a film (and a TV show) however I haven't seen it. I also wasn't too keen on Full Metal Jacket, preferred Platoon.

Soldato
The Big Red 1 - my all time fave :cool:

Also, further to those mentioned, I like Tigerland - Colin Farrel can actually act, this is proof!

Soldato
I'll third All Quiet On The Western Front.

Also, try a film called Cross of Iron (quite old, 1970's IIRC) but very good.

Also, a recent German language film called Downfall. Not strictly a war film but covers the final week of Hitler in Berlin. Powerful stuff.

Soldato
buy band of brothers, one of the best put together series of all time, like 10 hours of saving private ryan quality.

enemy at the gates is a classic film, russian sniper
full metal jacket is of course a classic

Back
Top Bottom