Suggest some "war" movies

Soldato
I'll second A Bridge Too Far and Zulu, both simply brilliant

Dont expect SPR looking action (watch Band of Brothers for that) but extremely good war movies because of the story and they way theyre filmed

Black Hawk Down is very good too, really highlighted the strain and utter drain of extended combat. Ridley Scott is a very good director

Last edited:
Soldato
I think they've all been mentioned already in this thread but I loved Band Of Brothers. Absolutely brilliant. Saving Private Ryan was brilliant I thought, until I saw this.

Downfall has also been mentioned, it may not feature any/much fighting but it is still an amazing war film, depicting Hitler's last days.

Black Hawk Down also is an excellent film. A lot of the war films I've seen have been WW2 or Vietnam films where the fighting takes place away from the cities and civilians. Black Hawk Down makes a good modern warfare movie set in a massive sprawl of a city.

Associate
Just paused Tigerland to have a quick read around the forums. Directed by Joel Schumacher in 2000. Enjoying it so far. I'd call it anti-war movie, but aren't most war movies in fact anti-war movie movies.

Man of Honour
Dr Strangelove is pure genius, but not a war film in the traditional sense.

Platoon has always been a favourite of mine, ever since I was banned from watching it by my dad and then sneaking the video in when he was out :) Excellent score, and the narration from Charlie Sheen works really well. Usually brings a tear to my eye and was the first film to really make me think about the futility of some wars.

As for FMJ, I like the first half but the secondhalf doesn't really capture the interest that well.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Jarhead is the best of recent times, Apocalypse Now is the best overall and The Bridge On The River Kwai is probably the best from the 60s/70s but there's loads I haven't seen from back then.

Soldato
Not strictly a war movie as such, but watch Empire Of The Sun. Set in Japan during WW2 and stars a very young Chrisitan Bale as an Englush schoolboy caught up in things. Very moving film and very funny in places too.

Soldato
OP
Gilly said:
Jarhead is a good call actually, and has a great musical score.

Apoc. Now the greatest war film of all time? You must be joking :p

Not seen Apoc.

Jarhead though I completely forgot about, I was seeing it down HMV all the time and it looked very tempting, but I just never picked it up... I might see if I can get it in a sale or something :)

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Gilly said:
Jarhead is a good call actually, and has a great musical score.

Apoc. Now the greatest war film of all time? You must be joking :p

Pfft, it's an excellent film. I watched the original release just the other night and picked up more stuff that I'd missed from the Redux. I've seen it about 10 times and it's different every time.

There is a lot of talky bits between the action so I can understand how you didn't get into it. :p

Back
Top Bottom