A Thread For All The Flight Simmers Out There

Associate
Hey everyone,
Right, since I've overhauled my system, I decided to try the FSX [downloaded the demo] and see how my system copes with it. I instantly put everything on ultra high, and it coped to an extent, but it would still stutter when I panned around the plane. So, what I want to know, is what can I do to my system to make it handle ultra high? I know I need more RAM, but with my current CPU and GPU, it should be handling ultra high fine right?

Now that's out of the way, how are you guys running it on your rigs? I just installed FS9 on my system, everything's ultra high and it still looks pretty good. Was VERY good when it came out :D

Cheers, Chris.

I don't know if the demo includes the service packs, but they certainly helped in the full sim.

Try dropping the water slider to Low 2x - having it high was the killer for me. Dropping the land and see traffic also helps a great deal - especially cars. Also check out the config tips by Nick Needham - http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

As Nick says, remember that FSX is a sim, not a game. As long as you can get smooth flying with no stutters, it doesn't matter what your FPS is, so don't try chasing the numbers.

I have this game.
it hates SLI GPU'S. my single 8800GTS 512 runs much better then my GTX 295, which is a SLI card of course :( i know people who run this on a i7 system(like my self), but are using a GTX 280-285, which is a single GPU of course, with great results.
it's no good on raid0 either. i have mine on a single drive just for this game :)
I've read that the newer ATI card (inc SLI) are not to great with this game.
(do a search)
It has some nice add on's, which u have to pay for.
It loves high clocked cpu's, 4 meg of ram, and low timming on the ram.
There is tweaks which i've tried for weeks and weeks with my 295 card, which didn't help, but would help someone with a different card. this game works with my card, but when panning around it gives stutters. try locking ya framrate. try 20, then 30. etc. mine was so so with the 295 card locked on 37, but still bit stuttery.
with the 8800 GTS, NO STUTTERS. it's coded bad. ya pull ya hair out if you don't have the right set up for this game. once it's set up right, it's pretty cool. no system can put every thing to max. there is stuff u can, but i mean boats, cars etc. maybe in 5 years time we might be able to have every part on max max setting. if u know this game, then you're know what i mean. shame there's no newer patch coming out for the game.
Good luck with it.

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the advice so far, I've got FS9, and it's a great game. I'm running it full everything, and my GPU hardly even registers a % of stress, but when it does it only blinks to about 6%.

I guess I just want something new, the graphics are still pretty good on FS9 on full everything, but I still want it to be better, and since I know that my computer can handle a lot more than that, I want to get something new. I'm going to get the latest Combat FS, and I'll get tom Clancy: H.A.W.X sometime next week. My motherboard is very cheap, the system was originally given to me from my local computer store because I helped them out for a bit. Anyone got any experience with the more recent combat FS? Cheers, Chris.

Hey Nate,
That game looks pretty fresh, I think I'll give that a go. One of the things that swayed me is the fact that the teaser video you posted is made by a consumer, so you know it's going to look at least that good.

I've always been into all sims to be honest, I use Ship Sim 06 from time to time, and I'll definitely get 08 soon. I've also looked at Train Sim, I was playing Euro Truck Sim earlier, so basically all sims. I've got the first version of Combat Flight Simulator, so I definitely want to get the most recent one, I love shooting suckers out of the sky :D Anyone got any experience of the recent CFS's?

Cheers,
Chris.

Most recent sims out are IL2 - 1946 for WW2 combat, Lock On for modern air combat, and DCS - Black Shark for Helicopter combat. I can recommend them all.

There are others like the Strike Fghters series from Third Wire, but I don't own any of the third wire stuff.

There are 2 or 3 promising sims on the horizon too...
Battle of Britain - Storm of War (from the creators of IL2)
Jet thunder - Falklands War sim from Argentinian Developers
And my most anticipated title...
DCS - Warthog (A10C sim from the creators of Lock On and DCS- Black Shark)

SimHQ is a good reference for sim related stuff.

Nate

It is one thing programming a game so it has a long life time with future hardware but FSX is just a pig! I'm still in a state of shock about how FSX has been abandoned and left in the state it is in, I think it will go down in history as the worst coded game/flight sim in history.

I'm going back to FS9 it runs fast, has many high quality addons, and doesn't become unplayable when a good amount of AI is turned on.

I had FSX installed but went back to FS9, largely because of the huge amount of additional content (freeware and payware) available compared to the newer title. Also FS9 has FS Passengers which transforms the game and IMHO was a feature MS should have incorporated at a much earlier stage, for those who desired it.

Those Third wire titles look interesting though a shame that some of the older titles aren't Vista compatible. I missed out on Jane's IAF so the Israeli game would have been of interest. A couple of subsidiary questions for those who have played these games, then...
1. Is it a custom graphics engine or does it use an existing one (the look is similar to Falcon 4).
2. Are the campaigns dynamic or just a series of linked missions?
3. What sort of DRM is attached, guiven the titles are download only?

Last edited:
The graphics engine for ThirdWire games is custom, but quite open. I have Wings Over Vietnam & Wings over Europe. It is best to get the older versions of the series, since there are 100's of downloadable aircraft & terrain at CombatAce. The best custom mod is the Operation Desert Storm campaign with terrain & aircraft. There is a payware mod called Yankee Air Patrol 2 (YAP2) which is historic campaigns in Vietnam. This is HIGHLY recommended as missions are updated frequently and the quality of the models are exceptional.

The graphics engine for ThirdWire games is custom, but quite open. I have Wings Over Vietnam & Wings over Europe. It is best to get the older versions of the series, since there are 100's of downloadable aircraft & terrain at CombatAce. The best custom mod is the Operation Desert Storm campaign with terrain & aircraft. There is a payware mod called Yankee Air Patrol 2 (YAP2) which is historic campaigns in Vietnam. This is HIGHLY recommended as missions are updated frequently and the quality of the models are exceptional.

Unfortunately I'm now 100% Vista so according to the Dev/Publisher only the latest titles will run on the OS.

I got into FSX @18 months ago, been into it every since. Learned a lot since then, some of the statements in this post are complete rubbish, some of it is true, FSX is not the best piece of coded software. But with tweaking, mods and especially addons, it is prolly the best (looking) sim out there, whether for casual flying or learning for your PPL.

The best source for how to setup FSX and what to do is at: (linked in a previous reply I believe)
http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041
plus they keep it uptodate.

Started with an OCUK Intel Sugo system and a Saitek x52 and since I bought more addons (hardware/software) now my FSX immersion has grown and I very much enjoy FSX as it is both learning and playing.

My FSX Setup: (took @1year of planning, budgeting and building up)
100_0127.jpg

Runs FSX at 30fps locked (viewing at 60fps due to 100Hz Sony HDTV) here some screens:
2009-4-19_0-30-51-230.jpg

2009-4-18_22-59-41-269.jpg

2009-5-10_22-43-11-692.jpg

2009-5-10_16-12-28-631.jpg

2009-5-12_4-22-45-637.jpg

2009-5-12_5-50-33-648.jpg

2009-5-14_21-10-9-810.jpg

2009-5-14_22-24-3-389.jpg

2009-5-11_1-31-1-948.jpg

2009-5-11_16-6-36-642.jpg

2009-5-10_16-51-10-455.jpg

2009-4-30_2-1-48-868.jpg

2009-4-30_2-6-43-247.jpg

Those will give you an idea what FSX could look like and still run smooth 90% of the time. (just gotta be sensible with your settings).

Hope this has helped.

PS I run FSX on Vista 64, I had no problems with FSX or indeed anything else written for it. Only older addons that are ported from the older MS flight sims will give you problems, but they are well outdated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom