A Thread For All The Flight Simmers Out There

Some great pictures Soya, sure I've seen some of those before ;)

I could never go back to FS9 because my main flying is VFR around the UK and the 1.2m per pixel photo scenery blows the 4.8m stuff from FS9 away.

Been a bad year for FSX though with Aces being canned and now Avsim blown away :(

Some great pictures Soya, sure I've seen some of those before ;)

I could never go back to FS9 because my main flying is VFR around the UK and the 1.2m per pixel photo scenery blows the 4.8m stuff from FS9 away.

Been a bad year for FSX though with Aces being canned and now Avsim blown away :(

Thank you for the praise, you may have indeed seen them before, but only recently. I have posted some of these on several FS forums in the past 10-12 days, they are well received, so decided to release some new batches every now and again. Was thinking of putting up a FSX screenshot thread in this forum and see if people would enjoy seeing what FSX can do. :)

Those are some great looking screens, some very impressive graphics.

Thank you for the praise, but my shots only capture the skills and talents of the people who make the wonderful addons for FSX, like REX, aircraft addons, Scenery addons etc. Without these addons, FSX would be fairly bland.

Last edited:
The Alps Rocks scenery is addon but its freeware, it cover nearly the entire French/Italian Alps. Some of the freeware, like the Alps there, can be better then some of the payware, it pretty amazing, as you can see. But also some of the payware addons are excellent, like REX, Real Environment Extreme and Alderney scenery. There is lots of choice, depending on where you like flying.

Soya - DUDE...what a wicked setup you got there and those screenshots are stunning.

Wow u got a seperate dedicated throttle as well.....AND you got it goin on a big screen! Is it sharp on that? You can run it on that at its native res?

Oh crap I was gonna go to bed but seeing those shots and now I wanna fire up a 737-800. CFM56 hellz yea!

Good to see the FS flyers on here :)

Soya - DUDE...what a wicked setup you got there and those screenshots are stunning.

Wow u got a seperate dedicated throttle as well.....AND you got it goin on a big screen! Is it sharp on that? You can run it on that at its native res?

Oh crap I was gonna go to bed but seeing those shots and now I wanna fire up a 737-800. CFM56 hellz yea!

Good to see the FS flyers on here :)

Thank you for your praise. The HDTV screen is very sharp, it runs at full HD, so 1920x1080 (16:9). You can see in the picture itself how much detail you can see in both the plane and sky, and that a reduced sized JPG taken by a handcamera! Take my word for it, try and view FSX on a HD1080p TV if you get a chance, its breathtaking.

Here are some more shots for all your appreciation and viewing pleasure. I took these over the past few days of my newly aquired CLS B747, the Queen of the skies. Enjoy!

2009-5-16_15-50-10-632.jpg

2009-5-16_16-20-16-579.jpg

2009-5-16_16-58-18-950.jpg

2009-5-16_17-0-25-305.jpg

2009-5-16_16-8-6-789.jpg

2009-5-16_17-41-34-859.jpg

2009-5-16_17-50-15-126.jpg

2009-5-16_17-57-15-643.jpg

2009-5-16_18-12-31-341.jpg

2009-5-16_18-20-53-577.jpg

2009-5-16_18-26-55-486.jpg

2009-5-16_19-16-57-359.jpg

2009-5-16_19-19-27-550.jpg

2009-5-16_19-22-55-117.jpg

2009-5-16_19-31-4-304.jpg

2009-5-16_19-32-58-122.jpg

2009-5-16_19-38-8-15.jpg

2009-5-16_19-40-10-112.jpg

2009-5-16_19-41-8-83.jpg

2009-5-16_19-47-14-64.jpg

2009-5-16_19-47-50-437.jpg

2009-5-16_19-49-19-998.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to play FSX but it seems too boring without the uber decent graphics, and for the uber decent graphics you have to spend forever searching google for the downloads :(

Surely my E8500 @ 4GHz would run it fine?

I use REX (Real Environment X) for my skies/clouds, easily the best texture addons package you can get for FSX. Really 'ups' the looks of FSX.

I have a 4Ghz too, most PCs nowadays can handle FSX, as long as you use a reasonably decent GFX card, no reason it cant look like mine! Just need to make sure you get the right addons for FSX, like REX etc.

Cheers

For land I use a large number of both payware and freeware. I prefer to fly around Europe, esp UK, Channel Islands, France, Germany & Switzerland. I use UTX, GEX & Photoreal, best scenery imo is deffo Alderney.

Greetings fellow simmers,

Here is another batch of shots from FSX, this time just for the copter lovers.

Enjoy the view.

2009-5-19_9-49-55-569.jpg

2009-5-19_9-46-51-617.jpg

2009-5-19_10-7-45-440.jpg

2009-5-19_10-8-41-191.jpg

2009-5-19_9-57-10-666.jpg

2009-5-19_10-8-17-179.jpg

2009-5-19_10-20-48-864.jpg

2009-5-20_2-13-13-923.jpg

2009-5-20_2-15-15-867.jpg

2009-5-20_2-26-5-903.jpg

2009-5-20_2-22-42-1.jpg

2009-5-20_2-20-53-885.jpg

2009-5-20_2-21-45-974.jpg

2009-5-20_2-24-26-120.jpg

2009-5-20_0-39-5-533.jpg

2009-5-20_0-46-15-253.jpg

2009-5-19_11-42-14-417.jpg

2009-5-20_0-1-45-502.jpg

2009-5-20_1-6-34-251.jpg

2009-5-20_1-8-12-100.jpg

2009-5-19_11-4-13-815.jpg

2009-5-19_10-53-43-917.jpg

2009-5-20_1-18-58-986.jpg

2009-5-20_1-20-58-116.jpg

2009-5-20_1-24-51-882.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to view these, comments/suggestion/constructive critism always welcome

Last edited:
Hey Soya

Just followed the link through to this thread from the screenshots thread. Awesome shots, keep them coming please :)

I don't suppose you know of any airport or scenery packs that have South Africa in them do you? I am from there and I would love for the opportunity to go flying around there at some point.

Speaking of which, I am just about to take the plunge and get myself Flight Simulator X, along with a new HDD and probably a joystick to get me started. I'm not sure whether to get the Flight Sim X Deluxe pack, or the Gold edition. What would you recommend for a newbie? Also, what stick should I be looking at? I don't think I am at the point of buying something massive, just in case I don't get into it as much as I hope, but I always see the benefit of buying better quality so I'm open to all suggestions :)

Thanks again for taking the time to post those shots, and for all the advice you've given so far :)

Greetings fellow simmers,

Here is another batch of shots from FSX, this time just for the copter lovers.

Enjoy the view.

I'm liking the Ka-50 very much, slightly different version than the DCS version, but looks fairly detailed, what are the avionics like in it? What is whirlybird flying in FSX like, flight model wise?

I might just have to get myself a copy of FSX.

Nate

Hey Soya

Just followed the link through to this thread from the screenshots thread. Awesome shots, keep them coming please :)

I don't suppose you know of any airport or scenery packs that have South Africa in them do you? I am from there and I would love for the opportunity to go flying around there at some point.

Speaking of which, I am just about to take the plunge and get myself Flight Simulator X, along with a new HDD and probably a joystick to get me started. I'm not sure whether to get the Flight Sim X Deluxe pack, or the Gold edition. What would you recommend for a newbie? Also, what stick should I be looking at? I don't think I am at the point of buying something massive, just in case I don't get into it as much as I hope, but I always see the benefit of buying better quality so I'm open to all suggestions :)

Thanks again for taking the time to post those shots, and for all the advice you've given so far :)

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the shots and happy to help anyway I can. From what I have seen so far, most sceneries tend to focus on either USA, Canada, Europe and Australia, there does not seem to be much on Asia, South America & South Africa, but we are talking payware here. As for freeware, that pretty much covers the whole world as most of it is done by users. Of course the largest user base will be USA so most of the addons and flying is done in the USA. Payware wise, I would recommend perhaps doing a google search as there are many 3rd party companies that do scenery for specific areas of the globe. Just the other day I found a company that is doing many photo real sceneries for South America for instance. Although, the cheapest option, as photo real can be pretty expensive, is to look into FS Earth Tiles, not used it myself but a link on it here http://realenvironmentxtreme.com/forum/index.php?topic=3003.0. If you can get it to work, it a very cheap way to get photo real scenery for your area.
Airports should be easier to find, perhaps not so many payware airports about for SA but I am pretty sure if you look around for user made freeware airports, there will be plenty for SA.

As for which version of FSX, that is up to you, I would say go for the cheapest one (make sure you shop around on the internet for best prices, as this product is several years old, you should get some nice deals), which I presume is the deluxe version, the other one, the gold edition is with Acceleration, all that adds is a few more planes and some more missions. If the price difference is not much then perhaps both, but again, up to you. Either of these packs, I know the Acceleration is, should be with FSX SP1 & SP2, if not, just DL them, its free. Other addons I would highly recommend to get you started is, Alderney at http://www.earthsimulations.com/ , and REX at http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/. Also worth looking into are UTX & GEX, check google for links but make sure you decide which part of the world you like to fly the most and concentrate your addons for that area. Both of these will really make FSX a lot better and do not forget to tweak FSX for your system once you get it, check my other posts/links on that. The default FSX aircraft will be enough for the time being, once you feel you fancy some better modeled and accurate aircrafts, then you have plenty of free/payware to check out.

As for hardware, getting a new hard drive will be handy, whether that is a new main drive or support drive, make sure you install FSX and addons on that first, or OS first if it is your main drive of course. That way you will guarantee that data is stored on the fastest access point of the HD, plus try to keep the HD no more then 60% full, unless of course you are also using it for other data, but keep the FSX data, including addons etc, installed in the fastest partition, use perhaps a good defrag program which can control where the data gets put. Joystick wise that is tricky, to start with I got a Saitek X52, managed to buy one at OCUK for just £50, I would personally recommend it as it is a great all rounder, can fly planes and helicopters with it, has plenty of button controls/thrust control and rudder control. However, do some research, check google for best joystick with FSX and shop around for cheapest options. But X52 would be my recommendation.

I think that about cover it, hope that help and gimme a shout if you get stuck, but check the FS forums like at AVSIM and Flightsim as there is tons of useful posts there too.

I'm liking the Ka-50 very much, slightly different version than the DCS version, but looks fairly detailed, what are the avionics like in it? What is whirlybird flying in FSX like, flight model wise?

I might just have to get myself a copy of FSX.

Nate

Glad you liked the KA-50 pics, it is indeed a fearsome looking chopper. I had the pleasure of trying DCS Black Shark so I can give a reasonable good comparision of the DCS vs FSX version of the KA-50. All in all, DCS version is more suited if you purely want to fly the Black Shark, it is a very detailed model, highly detailed flight and accurate flight model and superb working VC(virtual cockpit). Plus the environment is more suited for this attack helicopter cause most of its missions are combat based, which is what this Helicopter does. Also the tutorials on DCS are in great detail but then again, the flight model is much more complex. The FSX version model is, IMO, better looking, but then again, depends on how detailed you can run FSX, plus there are more paints available for it, however, the flight model is not as detailed of course as DCS, plus, apart from a manual, there are no build in tutorials on how to fly it. The flight model is not as in depth as DCS but still much better then the default choppers you get for FSX. The VC, although nearly fully function and visually as good as DCS, is not as in depth either. Plus, you can only fly around in FSX, it is not a combat simulator, so there is nothing to blow up or any missions for it, but then again, you can fly this baby anywhere in the world, whereas in DCS you are restricted to the scenery & mission they give you. So both have pros and cons, all in all, I do like the FSX version of the KA-50, it is one of the best pay ware choppers out there, but then again, DCS is completely dedicated to the KA-50, but only the KA-50!

I have not spend to much time in the whirlybird so I cannot comment on that much, it has got a nice model, as you can see in the pictures, but not to sure how the avionics and flight model compares to the real deal. Again, the default planes/choppers you get with FSX have got the easiest startup/flight controls & avionics, many pay ware planes/choppers tend to be more detailed, some are highly detailed to the point where you can only fly it once you read the 300 page manual, although in fairness, a lot of them do come with tutorial manuals and sometimes tutorial missions too.

If you thinking of getting FSX to fly a certain chopper, like the KA-50, then I would probably recommend dedicated software like DCS, but if you fancy a pretty accurate sim of many different planes/choppers and fly around different part of the world, then FSX will be the way to go. I would recommend to take in some of the comments I have been making about getting into FSX, it is a beast to tame and it does take some time to tweak and learn to get the best from it, plus you looking at a small investment for extras as well, especially if you have not got a PC that upto running it, of course you can always turn the settings down.

Hope that has answered your questions, let me know if there is anything else.

Cheers both...

Back
Top Bottom