• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

58XX pricing rumour :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/9/2/ati-radeon-58502c-58702c-5870x2-pricing-revealed.aspx

Sadly not the $300 for a 5870, this works out to ~£285 converted + VAT

I wouldn't be surprised if this rumour were about right, why should ATI charge less when they just don't need to. Yes there is a recession on but I doubt that means someone who was prepared to pay £225 wont pay £285 in the main.

"We managed to learn some interesting details about the top-end, Radeon 5800 series. Unlike some inaccurate publications that toyed with the name "Radeon 7", the Radeon 5000 series is a natural continuation of trend started with X1K series.

The top dog carries the name Radeon HD 5870X2, and we are talking about single-PCB, dual-GPU card that will retail for cool $599. This is still $50 cheaper than GTX280 at the time of its debut [do you remember the outrageous $649?], but bear in mind that this is a top dog part.

For some odd reason, the $499 bracket will remain without a card. We expect that slot will be filled with a water-cooled edition of 5870, or more likely - 5870X2 once that nVidia launches their competing products. Afore mentioned Radeon HD 5870 is set to go on sale for $379-399, while the cheapest entry into the 5800 series, the Radeon HD 5850 is priced in the $279-299 bracket."

Last edited:
Soldato
maybe ill get a 5850, IF it's quicker than 2 4850.

if thats right, the 5870 is to much for me.. even the 5850 is alittle to much.

maybe ill give it 2-3months

for the 5850 i would like to see that around £180 mark.

Last edited:
Associate
Well as far as i know ati are sticking to the announced pricing structure and they havn't said anything about moving away from that which they would need to do for this to be true maybe that whats coming sept 10th.

Soldato
OP
when's the first batch of DX11 games due? because you might as well wait for these before you buy and hopefully prices may of dropped by then

I doubt anyone is buying a RV870/GT300 on this forum for DX11 support, it's for the improved performance with DX11 a nice bonus.

Associate
well roughly 90% of games people play use directx9 so tbh why arent they focusing on 10. but if it helps improve the performance of the next gen cards then i duno why im arguin :D
10.2 plz

Permabanned
rizlaking, you got a link for the announced pricing structure?

http://www.techpowerup.com/102342/Radeon_HD_5870_Aggressively_Priced_Report.html

What I don't understand about people saying 'they've go no competition at the moment, they don't need to keep the price low.'

Do they not understand that selling for more monies = instagain in profit?

I've repeated many times before, even though there's no competition, that's still not a good enough reason to claim they'll charge more for their hardware.

ATi is smart enough to understand that if they price it right, far more people will buy their cards.

If they over price them, then a lot less people are going to buy them.

ATi are purposefully trying to bring their high-end GPUs into mainstream price brackets.

This means their X850 and X870s are aimed at the same market that mid-level cards used to be aimed at.

When the X1000 cards were out, what do you think sold more? The X1600 or the X1950XT?

They've currently had their X850 cards at the same price point as their mid level cards of years gone by.

They're forcing the high-end down to mid price levels, therefore ensuring more people have more capable GPUs.

People don't seem to understand this, and think that ATi, being a company that obviously wants to make money, is only interested in selling their products at the highest price possible to the individual.

Bussiness isn't about selling a product for as much money as possible to individual customers.

They work in volume. The higher the price the lower the sales are inevitably going to be. Where as, the lower the price, the higher the sales will be.

They've been making GPUs that have been cheap to manufacture, and selling them by the bucketload too.

What do you think would have made them more money? A 4850 at £120 or a 4850 at £200? I know I wouldn't have bought a £200 4850, but £120 was nice, so I grabbed two of them for some nice performance.

£120 being half the amount of £240, most people would assume that's a definite loss in profit.

No it's not, it's more than likely a massive gain. There is going to be far more people willing to buy for £120 than £240.

The ones who ware willing to spend £240 have the option for crossfire.

There is a method to the way they release their products and the prices they sell them at.

It's all about volume. Maximise the amount of sales and with that comes the profit.

I've also mentioned before, ATi are much more likely to get more OEM deals at a lower price, which also results in far more sales than if they were at a higher price.

Let's bare in mind that historically, they've never made their big profits from the higher-end GPUs.

This is the whole reason why they're bringing the costs down of their high-end GPUs, to bring them more in line with the main products that sell the most, price wise.

To assume they're going to sell high due to external factors to me just shows a complete lack of understanding when it comes to the pricing of products and the market sectors they're aiming their products at.

Soldato
The only thing that would sway me is if the 60% faster rumour turns into being 80% or more.

I see people mention a lot here that nvidia cards tend to have a better minimum fps than ati, is it true or just fanboys spouting rubbish?.

Last edited:
Permabanned
If they have the best card and can get away with a high price why wouldn't they? they aren't a charity. :p

Please refer to my third to last post.

I've explained why they don't just increase the price because 'they'll get away with it'.

The higher the cost that the end user buys it at doesn't turn in to increased profit.

They don't look at the books and base them on individual cards sold.

Permabanned
The only thing that would sway me is if the 60% faster rumour turns into being 80% or more.

I see people mention a lot here that nvidia cards tend to have a better minimum fps than ati, is it true or just fanboys spouting rubbish?.

It's fanboys spouting rubbish, or being extremely technical to the point of despair.

In some cases a card can drop to single digits and back up again so fast that it's never noticed, but benchmarking suits can pick this up. This can drag down the average minimum framerate of any card.

Such a situation can occur when fresh data is being loaded in to the graphics RAM, it's unnoticable and happens very rarely.

It is such things that fanboys use to support their 'claims'.

In reality, the minimum frame rate is generally proportionate to the performance of the card.

If an ATi cand nVdia card are roughly the same performance, they'll roughly have the same min frame rates.

Permabanned
To be honest, those prices look completely made up anyway. ATi have stated that their most expensive cards will be $550.

It makes no sense to price a 5870 at $400 as who in their right mind would consider 5870 crossfire over an X2?

To make that worse, the prices they seem to thin a 5850 will be going for make even less sense.

Their prices are always relative to eachother.

A lot of people will find 5850 crossfire temtping, but why would ATi price 2 5850s to be the same cost as a 5870X2 while obviously being a fair amount slower...

I think the article proves it self wrong if you think about it.

Soldato
OP
Makes sense to me that the X2 variant shouldnt be twice the price but more like +50% the price.

To make it yes some of the costs are double the single card (ram chips, GPU itself) but a lot of the costs aren't, R&D, shipping, marketing etc etc.

Kylew I agree of course they won't price the card out of reach but I also dont think they will 'give away' a 5870 for ~£200 when they will make more money overall selling it much higher. Of course the question as to what price point generates the most money is a very black art and I'm sure the ATI finance and marketing bods have been over it a million times in recent months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom