• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

58XX pricing rumour :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
no competition prices gouging tbh will be cheaper when nvidia will release something wait till that i guess

Come on, at least read some of the comments before posting. A high price doesn't = high profit.

ATi will be doing them selves a favour by keeping the price low. ATi's prices aren't directly dictated by nVidia's actions, same goes for nVidia.

If it was so, we wouldn't have ever seen the GTX 295 cost 70% more money than the 4879X2.

Associate
For everyone saying that 'Theres no competition, why WOULDN'T ATI sell at the highest price', you could also look at it as why WOULD they sell it at the highest price?

Without any direct competition and for the reasons that Kyle has stated before, it would make much more sense to keep it at an affordable price rather than charging a huge amount of money.

Soldato
For everyone saying that 'Theres no competition, why WOULDN'T ATI sell at the highest price', you could also look at it as why WOULD they sell it at the highest price?

Without any direct competition and for the reasons that Kyle has stated before, it would make much more sense to keep it at an affordable price rather than charging a huge amount of money.

Affordable, yes, but the definition of affordable varies depending on the marketplace conditions.

Soldato
If the cards where £300 each i would still be buying 2x 5870s.

but like people have said already why would ati charge £100 more in price for 2x 5870s than there 5870x2 card.

either way im getting these uber cards when there out.

Soldato
I think ATI will keep the prices low, as the card was designed to offer good value and by the looks of things they have not gone the brute force route, and stuck with the same idea of build a lot and sell em fast.

Also the higher the launch price the easier things will be for Nvidia. I now ATI of recent years haven't operated like that, but I'm sure some at ATI will be pushing for the lowest possible price.

Some of the price being banded around seemed a little optimistic for launch prices, but we will find out soon enough.

Last edited:
Associate
I think the cards will be priced on performance ability.If the single gpu card is as fast as a 4870 x2 then it will be £300 if its as fast or faster than a 295 then it will be £350 as same speed but single gpu and dx11 would make them the cards to own at those price points.

Associate
I kinda agree with Johny, I reckon the cards will be priced according to performance in ATI's own line up. Example, if the 5850 is faster than the 4890 then it will be priced higher, so performance and price will ascend 4850, 4870, 4890, 5850, 5870 etc. The only proviso wil be that at the top end ATI will want to give Nvidia a good kick in the nuts, so 5870 and 5870x2 price will be below that of nvidias current top end cards.

Associate
While i agree mainly with what you are saying Kylew ATI will sell at a slightly inflated price to start with because it then gives them a greater margin to drop when nvidia bring out there new cards.

Associate
I kinda agree with Johny, I reckon the cards will be priced according to performance in ATI's own line up. Example, if the 5850 is faster than the 4890 then it will be priced higher, so performance and price will ascend 4850, 4870, 4890, 5850, 5870 etc. The only proviso wil be that at the top end ATI will want to give Nvidia a good kick in the nuts, so 5870 and 5870x2 price will be below that of nvidias current top end cards.

A good kick in the nuts for Nvidia would be to sell as many cards as possible, after all if they can get the prices to a decent level more people may be pressured into buying these new cards.

If this was the case then i doubt people will be wanting to buy Nvidia' cards because they won't spend all that money again so soon.

Associate
Example, if the 5850 is faster than the 4890 then it will be priced higher, so performance and price will ascend 4850, 4870, 4890, 5850, 5870 etc. The only proviso wil be that at the top end ATI will want to give Nvidia a good kick in the nuts, so 5870 and 5870x2 price will be below that of nvidias current top end cards.

Sums it upreally :(

& as always I wait 1/2months for prices to stablise, better coolers as standard & any driver issues to be worked out.

Soldato
The HD 4890 sells for sub $199 (sub £140 in the UK). Will the HD 5870 be priced at double that? Hard to believe. If it does, it better be one amazing card.

Soldato
I for one, won't be buying a card now. Like people say, there aren't a lot of DX11 games out currently. I will wait, and see what nVidia bring out also. Will be better to see how they compare. I highly doubt there will be any DX11 games, that make problems for the high end cards to begin with. Best to sit tight for now, and wait to see what happens.

Associate
£300 at 1000 sales, or £200 at 100,000 sales?

Don't forget about ATi's marketing and production costs.
To be fair, £300 sounds about right for a new gen of top end card.

£200 mark will be too low, and it makes more sense to start high and gradually work their way down on the prices. They have to protect themselves and if they sell too low, demand might outstrip the supply, resulting in lengthy a wait for more to be produced.

Associate
I paid £485 each for 2 gtx 8800s over 2 years ago when they launched.Seems strange guys think £300+ today is over priced when for what £300 today you will get twice the performance of that 8800 sli that cost nearly a grand 2 years ago.

Soldato
I paid £485 each for 2 gtx 8800s over 2 years ago when they launched.Seems strange guys think £300+ today is over priced when for what £300 today you will get twice the performance of that 8800 sli that cost nearly a grand 2 years ago.

Surely back in those days they were getting less GPU's etc out of the silicon which in turn results in higher initial costs for them to recoup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom