Gigabyte EX58 UD5 multiple restart on cold boot

Associate
I've got the gigabyte ud5 overclocked 4.00Ghz bundle. The system is absolutely rock solid once booted, and it is perfectly happy with warm restarts but I get problems everytime I cold boot.

The machine starts to boot, then shuts down, then starts to boot again. This can go on for about 4 -6 times. Sometimes when it finally boots it grumbles about OC settings, but I just reload the 4.00ghz settings and restart and the machine starts fine. A lot of the time the machine reboots without grumbling about OC settings.

Is there anything that I can tweak in the BIOS to rectify this. I am wondering if it is because a lot of the settings in the BIOS are left on auto. Could the motherboard be 'working out' what values to apply during this repeated boot process?

Please help, I'm clueless as to what to try.
Cheers.

Soldato
I had this issue for a while with one of my UD5's, it would only ever happen when I went to turn my PC on in the morning, or if I had powered down my system to go inside the case to work on something, everytime I would power it up it would go on, then shutdown, and then restart again and finally POST and boot into Windows.

I am now currently using F9e BIOS, and I haven't had this problem since using this beta BIOS...

I've heard a lot of people complaining about this, I even contacted Gigabyte themselves when I first started experiencing this problems, and they told me that it was a part of the motherboards design!!! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if it was something to do with my BIOS tinkering that was causing it to happen before, as it was back when I was trying to get my o/c stable that it happened a lot, but like I said, my system hasn't done this for ages, and I am pretty sure that it has been since I started using F9e BIOS..

Your best place to post about this is in the Customer Service section here, the tech's should be able to give you better advice than I can.

Associate
OP
Glad it's not only me, was thinking I'd done something daft. I tried upgrading to the F9e recently but it didnt resolve anything. Cheers anyway - will post in the support forum as you suggest.

Associate
Have the same problem with my OC bundle, problem is that mine doesnt even boot after 5-6 times, i've waited more than 20 times everytime i was desperately trying to get it to boot.

When you have those reboots, what is the code that the motherboard displays?

Associate
OP
To be honest I havent looked - which is pretty inexcusable as i have a transparent window on the case. If I get time I'll check tonight - otherwise will respond next week as I'm away for a few days.

Associate
Just checked as I power up the board says 8B. It doesnt progress past this when it reboots. This is apparently Invoke all ISA adapter ROMS, Invoke all PCI ROMs (except VGA).

Same as mine. Unfortunately you and me are both victims of the wide-spread gigabyte EX58 a lot of people are complaining. After happening to me i investigated and there's a lot of info around.

I sent mine for RMA, as OCUK said that code 88 means trouble.

Oh well...

Associate
Had the same with my Gigabyte x58 UD4, RMA'ed the MF back and got an Asus instead.

In my situation, i asked for a full refund from OCUK on the Bundle (i7 920 + Gigabyte + corsair) as they woudnt exchange the gygabite for the asus due to system configurations, as i lost all my trust in gigabyte as of this moment.

With all due respect for OcUK and Gigabyte, a motherboard with so many issues as this one shouldnt be in the market at all imho.

Soldato
I've got the same problem with an old GA-P35-DS3P. Even more of an issue with W7 now as it refuses to reboot. Windows will shut right down and power off the monitor but then doesn't actually turn off the machine. Have to hard power off and on again, at which point there's about a 30% chance I'll end up in the endless power-up-down cycle until I physically disconnect the power for a few seconds.

Was actually thinking this might be the push I need to upgrade to Nehalem but frankly stunned to see this thread - think I'll be steering clear of Gigabyte boards then, despite having four of them in use at home and historically not having any issues with them (aside from the above).

Associate
OP
Hi. I just thought that I'd let you know that I dropped the PCI express frequency from 101 to 100 and the problem (touch wood) seems to have been resolved. I note that in the forums a lot of people recommend 101 for stability but 100 seems better on mine.

Cheers..

Associate
This happened to me when i first got the ud5. when i went back to the default bios settings the problem went away. then i realised it needed more voltage for the overclock even though It was stable when running for a long time.

Associate
Mine does a wierd thing also, A UD4, I press power button on the machine and literally takes 5-10 secs for the hard drive activity light to flicker on the case and it finally boots. No problems once booting, but is quite annoying really

Soldato
This problem is not unique to the x58 range, my EP45-UD3P also had the same cold boot bug from time to time and i remember the P35's were famous for it.

Decent overclocking boards but they definitely have some gremlins.

Associate
mine has this problem everyday i start it...at least 3 attempts to boot before finally kicking in. Once up and running there is no problem...it doesnt matter if i am at stock or overclocking...it still does it...when i first bought a x58 board it was the ud3r...i got rid of it and bought the bloodrage...it still happens...i am thinking it is a problem with another component on my rig...I am leaning towards memory issue.......anyone else using kingston memory and having same trouble?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom