Project Cobra/Sharks mouth

Associate
The Project takes it's inspiration from the Cobra helecopter Gunships first used in the Vietnam war and pretty much all wars since in one form or another

The Bell UH1 Huey Gunships of the US Army, 174 Sharks Assault Helicopter Company were one of the many to utilise the "Sharks Mouth" motif on the nose of their Aircraft. I am aiming to incorerate this motif into the build.

As you guys know the Cobra Gunships also feature in CODMWF2 so I may build in a referrence to the game also. (open to suggestions)

The chasis for the build wuill be the Antec Skeleton case. Bit of a marmite case I know, I've built and modded one before and love working with it. I also love the high overclocks you can acheive with it on air alone thanks to it's unique cooling solution.

Those who remember my last build will know that in order to fit a large heatsink it's necessary to cut the cowling at the back. I'm not planning on doing that this time, instead i'm going to use the Zalman CNSP9500LED. I used this cooler on my Q6600 a while back and was realy pleased with the temps. It seems to work really well with the "top down" airflow of the Skelly.

First steps are to open it up and take it apart.

Photo0612.jpg

Photo0831.jpg

Photo0832.jpg

Photo0836.jpg

It takes about an hour to totally disassemble this case (about 20 screws)
It's made from High density plastic, with steel reinforcements of the struts to the fan area.

I'm also planning to incorperate the MESH KIT made by Antec. The mesh kit serves very well at keeping out the prying fingers of children, however i'm using it for no other reason than I like the look of it.

Photo0607.jpg

Photo0608.jpg

Assembled with mesh kit just to make sure I know where it all goes!!!

Photo0665.jpg

Next job will be sanding and prepping all the panels for painting. (now that it's warmed up a bit in the shed!!!

Subscribed. V.intresting case

Not sure i could ever own one though, due to 0 noise reduction. But cant get around how diffrent and completely unique that case is, soo much you could do to customise it. Good luck :)

Not a problem at all, the big fan stops anything settleing and blows away anything that's settled the night before. In fact as there are no dead spots in the case (as there is no case) I can honestly say this is one of the least dusty cases I have ever had.

Having a bit of change of plan. I can't seem to find any low profile coolers with i7 compatability so may need to cut the cowling to accomodate something like a fenrir.

Not a problem cutting it as it's only a 5 min job.

Watching this with interest.

Having a bit of change of plan. I can't seem to find any low profile coolers with i7 compatability so may need to cut the cowling to accomodate something like a fenrir.

Not a problem cutting it as it's only a 5 min job.

Would your budget stretch to a small waterloop? This is just my personal opinion of course, but to me tubing with anti kink coils looks more "military" than a tower cooler. Maybe even something like a custom painted H50?

Toyed with the idea of water but this case does real well on air. I've actually just finished cutting the case this afternoon and have ordered the Fenrir so the decission is made.

Still fancy the idea of water though so might just do it for fun at a later date.

I was tempted to make a "cute little" set up with that case, no mater how strange it is, it beats the hell out of boring old box cube cases....

But I have lots of pets, so their hair and fur would just screw with it.
But ya am looking foreward to this, haven't sseen a build log with this case yet.

looks cool sanded like that, I bet a 'rusty skeleton' build could look really industrious, esp with the big fan, like a weathered post-apocalyptic rig that still works:)

Sorry for the wait, have decided to upgrade my current set up to windows7 and it now refuses to talk to my samsung toco phone so still working on how to get the photos off. It won't even see the mem card as a mass storage device!!!!

I'm about half way through the spraying and have to restock on paint on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom