PS3 death

Soldato
So im in the middle of playing fifa online when all of a sudden ps3 switches itself off and the red power light is blinking.....wtf ?

Only had it on 5 minutes :confused:

I press power again to switch it back on and it switches itself off again (to red light blinking)

death of ps3?

doesnt come back on. Isnt even hot at all. quick Flash of yellow light before flashing red.

Unfortunately for me it is just over 2 years old. (bought in may 2008).

Will give sony a phone to see what they say.

doesnt come back on. Isnt even hot at all. quick Flash of yellow light before flashing red.

Unfortunately for me it is just over 2 years old. (bought in may 2008).

Will give sony a phone to see what they say.

Are the gods telling you something with the new 360 out next friday? ;)

What model is it?

40 gig one. :/

Phoning Sony now. Im also thinking about phoning HMV who i bought it from (even tho its over 2 years) as i have just read a very helpful guide to getting free repair for faulty PS3s (due to YLOD) on the Whatconsumer site.

At least i think it was HMV i got it from. i'll need to check with my bank as my statements dont go back that far. (the thread is still on here though. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17871615 )

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that mate. Your PS3 has the infamous YLOD if you get a yellow light then a flashing red.

Could you possibly link us with the website you mentioned at whatconsumer. It would help others out too.

Also, if you don't end up getting a replacement (or you need to recover the data from your HDD) then you might want to check out the log I created about repairing your PS3 from YLOD.

LOG: PS3 YLOD Fix

I put in a ton of effort researching and fixing the problem so figured sharing it would help others out too.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/faulty-playstation-3/

thats the webby with the letter templates etc. Anyway Sony said itll cost me £131 for a refurb ps3 from them.

He said there was no design fault with the ps3 that was causing YLOD (i dno either way)

So i'll head off to HMV tomorrow see how i get on.

havent tried the hairdryer trick - though i will need to if i want to get my game saves off it.

Thanks a lot for that!

I wouldn't try the hairdryer trick. It might be the easiest way but many people say the PS3 only stayed on for 30 minutes and that's not enough to get your HDD backup if its over 20GB of data.

The longest lasting was the Gilksys fix (post #14 in my log) but even longer than that was the oven profile that msmalls74 used but he never gave any details about it.

Just need the ps3 on for 5 minutes to transfer the game saves onto a usb stick so will try the hairdryer treatment. Should be fine at HMV i reckon. Warranty seal is intact havent opened it or anything (apparently hmv will buy even YLOD ps3 consoles as long as the seal is intact).

I have heatgunned 2 of my friends PS3's, One about 6 months ago and the other about 3 months ago. Both are still working till this date

REALLY!!! That's impressive!

jrwagh333: Did you follow a particular guide? Would you say you applied heat for 15 seconds per location or longer?

Last edited:
same thing happened to mine, its YLOD mate. i also bought my ps3 from hmv (although online), around the same age as yours ~2.5 years and have used the same template to send that letter.

i got the expected reply asking me to send them an engineers report and will do so next week. they basically said if the report shows that it is an inherent fault and not due to wear and tear, then they would pay for my replacement from sony.

Not entirely sure where im gonna get an engineers report done in Aberdeen. Any console repair place will do yeah?

Been reading a lot of info that says that the YLOD is a design fault but the retailers wont go to court. What will usually happen is that they will offer another new or refurb PS3 so the customer goes away happy. If even one case goes to court that would create a precedent and essentially open the floodgates as if its proved to be a design fault then its inherent to all PS3's.

REALLY!!! That's impressive!

jrwagh333: Did you follow a particular guide? Would you say you applied heat for 15 seconds per location or longer?

Took it all apart, took all the heatsinks off & then clean off the thermal paste.

Heatguned one side of the board for about 3 minutes, let it sit for 5. Heat gun the other side for 3 mins, sit for 5. Resemble and fixed :cool:

Heatgun as said is really the best method. Its essentially the same as baking it in the oven, Only you aim at the specific points on the board(Both top and bottom) And dont risk causing new problems by heating the entire board. I've done it twice, Also used the heatgun method on the 360 too. All consoles i've done it to have carried on working to date. Although the last PS3 I did, I've fallen out with the guy. So i wouldnt know if it was dead or not now lol

**********update.************

Got ps3 back fixed. Though was told it will probably only last 2 months maximum as it was the YLOD error.

Got my engineers report so now its time to send off letters to HMV :D (retailer i bought it from)

I'll keep you updated how it goes :D

Back
Top Bottom