******* OFFICAL La Liga Thread *******

Soldato
No thread for this and I know there are a few followers on the forum.

Real Madrid with a 3-1 win today, Ronaldo with a lovely free kick as well.

Barca currently 3-0 and just scored a beauty!

Ronaldo has 8 goals in last 5 games or something silly now in the league.

laliga.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I suppose in one way the top two sides do satisfy the fact that football is a weekend/weekday night hobby for a lot of men. They're great to watch.

However clubs being able to negotiate their own tv deals has left it almost boring. Barca and/or Real win every weekend, so often that it's even pointless putting a bet on - the odds make it worthless.

Hypothetically taking out the fact that this can happen, it's far more competitive than ours. Different sides fill up the remaining two slots in the Champion's League each season.

I don't mind it really. It's got the same amount of technical ability as Italy, but is far more exciting. A happy medium between the EPL and Serie A.

Soldato
OP
Around 900 passes tonight I think they just said

Xavi on the pitch for 67mins made 120

Barca currently 27 goals with no replies think that is including champs league :o

Kind of Greenlizard. Constantly hear about the break neck speed of the EPL how its so tough etc... but does that really make it better?

The games are entertaining in La Liga and all the teams try and play football majority of the time.

Zaragoza really went at Real Madrid at the start was fantastic to see. This generally doesn't happen so much in EPL teams park the bus.

Soldato
Barca :eek:
How can they be that good, admittedly not playing the best team but they played the 2nd best and taught them a lesson.
Messi is just incredible.

Permabanned
Around 900 passes tonight I think they just said

Xavi on the pitch for 67mins made 120

Barca currently 27 goals with no replies think that is including champs league :o

Kind of Greenlizard. Constantly hear about the break neck speed of the EPL how its so tough etc... but does that really make it better?

The games are entertaining in La Liga and all the teams try and play football majority of the time.

Zaragoza really went at Real Madrid at the start was fantastic to see. This generally doesn't happen so much in EPL teams park the bus.

I think its the opposite at the moment actually, look at how teams are taking the game to United, Arsenal and Chelsea.

I've never seen teams take on United like they are lately, away or at OT.

Don
Saw some guy mention on twitter that Barca attempted over 900 passes tonight, which is the most since opta started recording stats.

Soldato
would it be worth changing this to a european football thread? I like a bit of the German and Italian leagues and could they fit into this thread?

Man of Honour
Saw some guy mention on twitter that Barca attempted over 900 passes tonight, which is the most since opta started recording stats.

that's crazy! 900 passes! I seriously wish barca were in the EPL!!!

Wenger should scrap training sessions and just have our players watch hundreds of barca tapes.

Soldato
If Barca were in the PL, i would expect them to walk it on current form .. seriously.
Previously i suggested it wouldnt be this case, couldnt see them coping vs teams parking the bus (See them vs Inter last year).
But they are so, so good this year, they'r walking past teams even if they park the bus with 3,4,5 goals each. Insane.

Man of Honour
Judging by how much you win things I'm pretty sure that is all you do in training :p

This time tomorrow, you'll regret saying that! ;)

If Barca were in the PL, i would expect them to walk it on current form .. seriously.
Previously i suggested it wouldnt be this case, couldnt see them coping vs teams parking the bus (See them vs Inter last year).
But they are so, so good this year, they'r walking past teams even if they park the bus with 3,4,5 goals each. Insane.

I'd reckon they'll probably win it but it'll be a lot tougher as there is much more competition. United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, City and Spurs could all cause them some trouble. Barca VS Blackpool would be a demolition job!

Associate
This time tomorrow, you'll regret saying that! ;)

I'd reckon they'll probably win it but it'll be a lot tougher as there is much more competition. United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, City and Spurs could all cause them some trouble. Barca VS Blackpool would be a demolition job!

I doubt they would stick the cold when they have to go up north when its -10 at Newcastle. But I have watched a few Barca games this season and they would walk the Prem at the moment. As exciting as the premier league is, technically there is no comparison.

Man of Honour
that's crazy! 900 passes! I seriously wish barca were in the EPL!!!

Wenger should scrap training sessions and just have our players watch hundreds of barca tapes.

Yes, but they wouldn't survive in England. Only Barca in Spain can play like that.

Arsene tries with a much smaller budget but you can't win domestically here with people of the size of Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Villa.

Caporegime
See, thats not actually a very good goal, they walk it in, teams have this habit of getting to ap oint, then no one making the tackle, they just run after the player and don't predict it. Any one of those 4 guys could have run ahead of him but they all reacted late and just followed him, with one guy standing still.

Its actually shocking/embarassing/boring some Barca games, they pass around wing to wing till 7-8 Barca players are basically in or around the box with no one left in the Barca half, at which point the opposition seem to lack any idea of what to do, no where left to retreat and you see a team almost stop moving entirely, thats when Barca pass it inthe box and start moving while the defence is completely at a loss of what to do. The answer is press hard, close the ball and kick seven shades of blue out of anyone close to them, instead they stand still leave big space and fall to pieces.

The first goal tonight(all I watched) was in a similar vein, get it forward, wait for the defence to essentially stop, then pass in behind and have the whole team move in. One player followed Pedro, too late, and half the Barca team moved behind the back four with none of them reacting.

Even worse was Real who decided the best method to counter this was to play a high line, and also completely ignore all the runs behind the defence while standing completely still, just about the only worse option for trying to defend against them.

Its mostly the fear factor right now, people just step off them because they are affraid to get made to look a fool, and in doing that get made a fool of anyway.

Its like Giggs, he was always good, but when a player can run at silly high speed while dribbling the ball, people become scared of mistiming the tackle, and just getting the player. Giggs wasn't untouchable, people just became afraid to try to tackle him.

I find Barca games more and more boring as almost everyone just gives up, completely and ignores everything they'd do against any other team.

You get the odd game, like Zaragoza tonight played like they had nothing to lose, and tried to get at Real and it worked to a degree.

As a gooner, I really enjoyed seeing Diarra be truly outstanding in central midfield :( Exactly the player we need, makes Khedira and Alonso look like a joke, ALonso missed almost every tackle, got one assist but gave it away constantly elsewhere. Diarra is just one of those bulldogs that always ends up with the ball when going into a tackle.

Soldato
I really can't believe half the stuff you come out with dm, Scrooge would be a more appropriate forum name owing to your ability to point out the negative in every situation! Alonso is clearly hugely missed by Liverpool, he's an excellent defensive/central midfielder.

On current form, Barca are the best team in the world without any question. They are essentially a team made up of the best players from the world's best international team, plus the best player in the world. It can't really get much better than that! The reason so many goals look so easy is because Barca make them look easy. Yes, teams are probably scared of them before they have even stepped on the pitch, but with good reason! The almost telepathic link between the players is something to admire. In truth, it doesn't matter how teams play against them because Barca are always going to dominate possession and can break teams down regardless of how many are sitting back.

I fear for Arsenal if they get them in the CL again this year!

Back
Top Bottom