Iiyama ProLite B2712HDS 27"

Associate
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new monitor, and upgrade from my old 19" HP TFT.
I use it for work, gaming and movies.

I've spent an intense few days looking back and forth (and learning!) about monitors and have been confusing myself more and more. When I think I have selected one, I find another one that may be better.

Reviews from different websites make it even worse. Quite often they say it's amazing but add a caveat at the end that makes you question your decision.

I've finally narrowed it down to:

Iiyama ProLite B2712HDS 27" (1920x1080)
Hanns.G HZ281HPB 27.5" (1920x1200)
Samsung XL2370 23" (1920x1080)

There are excellent recommendations for the Hanns on in a rather busy topic but I'm a bit put off by the stretching of the PS3/Xbox to accomodate 1980x1200.

The Samsung was the one that I looked into initially and at 23" quite smaller but has an LED backlight and bigger often may not always be better.

So my question is, does anyone have experience of the Iiyama or the Samsung and can comment. If anyone has (had) both then that would be even better.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a very similar model Iiyama Prolite 27" E2710HDSD (no HDMI) which I have no regrets about purchasing, it is a very good screen.

Iiyama also seem to have a very good reputation for returns, as in, you wont get much hastle if something goes wrong.

I cant make comprison though, as i've never seen any of the other two screens in action.

You can see my initial thoughts on the Iiyama here:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18156004&highlight=Iiyama+username_mattyfez

My first thoughts on the screen have not really changed, it's a lot of screen for the money, and I am glad I bought it.

I was initialy wanting a 1920x1200, and in some ways it is better, but you will soon get used to the wider csreeen, and it does look much sleeker on the desk... well as sleek as a 27" screen can, lol!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks, mate. That was a helpful read. I think both the model I am after and yours are similar, the difference being the addition of an HDMI and a stand that can be adjusted (how that justifies the price of £62 I don't know).

Soldato
thanks, mate. That was a helpful read. I think both the model I am after and yours are similar, the difference being the addition of an HDMI and a stand that can be adjusted (how that justifies the price of £62 I don't know).

Yeh the only difference I can note in terms of model name is the inclusion/exclusion of HDMI, and the stand, the round one is tilt only, where as I belive the 'L' shaped one is height adjustable also.

Don't quote me on that though :D

Bear in mind, I don't think the model I have is available any more, as mine has no HDMI, but they all seem to have it in the current ones.

Last edited:
Associate
I have the Iiyama ProLite B2712HDS and it's an awesome monitor for the price. The stand is well worth the extra 60 odd quid in my opinion.

This monitor works perfectly for the PS3/Xbox 360 but the sound from the speakers is bad but its expected.

I can't really tell how the others are as I've never seen them but the Iiyama ProLite B2712HDS is well the money.

Associate
OP
I have the Iiyama ProLite B2712HDS and it's an awesome monitor for the price. The stand is well worth the extra 60 odd quid in my opinion.

This monitor works perfectly for the PS3/Xbox 360 but the sound from the speakers is bad but its expected.

I can't really tell how the others are as I've never seen them but the Iiyama ProLite B2712HDS is well the money.

Would never use the monitor speakers.

When playing xbox/ps3, do you get a stretched image or black borders at the top and bottom?

Went to have a look at monitors today, and although the 24" ones are nice, the 27" ones are VERY nice.

How far back do you need to sit with a 27" screen? atm my keyboard is directly in front of the monitor, so am about not very far away.

Soldato
HI, im looking to buy the E2710HDS, gonna be on my desk, front of me, will it be big enough cause i wanna play games and also HD movies on it, and general pc stuff, cause i think a 32 inch lcd would be over doing it ?

THanks

Associate
Would never use the monitor speakers.

When playing xbox/ps3, do you get a stretched image or black borders at the top and bottom?

Went to have a look at monitors today, and although the 24" ones are nice, the 27" ones are VERY nice.

How far back do you need to sit with a 27" screen? atm my keyboard is directly in front of the monitor, so am about not very far away.

As the res is 1920x1080 the picture isn't stretched. It takes up the whole screen.

I sit fairly close to the monitor and my keyboard is directly in front of the monitor too.

Associate
OP
As the res is 1920x1080 the picture isn't stretched. It takes up the whole screen.

I sit fairly close to the monitor and my keyboard is directly in front of the monitor too.

I think this is the top one on my list now.

But the urge to keep looking is still there. Just in case something better is out there just waiting for me to click click my way to it ...

Soldato
Don't want to jack the thread but i'm also thinking of getting a new monitor mainly for gaming on the PC and PS3. I currently have a 22'' Dell ST2210 and am thinking of getting the following screen:

Iiyama ProLite E2710HDS 27" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black

Would this be a worth while upgrade? This 22" is starting to feel a bit small to be fair, and having recently sold my T.V I could do with a decent size for the PS3 too.

Soldato
exact same boat, i got a 22 lcd right now, had it for years, im looking at the E2710HDS as well, anyone else got one and pictures next to a 22 inch, and is it good size for watching movies , and gaming it being on desk so sitting close to it ?

THanks

Associate
Anyone? I'm desperate to buy it but would love some feedback lol.

I upgraded from a 24" and I thought it was a massive difference. So I'm pretty sure your gonna notice a different :p

Will upload a pic in a sec

*****EDIT*****

This is a comparison in size with a 20" dell monitor. My 24" monitor is being used at the moment so I can't take a pic with that next to it.

Sorry for the bad quality image.

HMzDE.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
thanks bash, have you tried any hd movies and game on it how is it for movies specially im also looking to buy these head phones http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-000-RC

Thanks

Yes I have tried HD movies and games. The colours are rich and vibrant on this monitor and the responsiveness in fast moving content is amazing.

I can't really comment on the headset though as I'ive never used them.

Any more questions let me know :)

Soldato
Movies, in terms of dark scenes still suffering from the known dithering/pixelating effects, but in terms of gaming you won't regret it, it's awesome for gaming.

I'll post some pics of my Iiyama 27@1080p next to my asus 22@1680 x 1050 when I get home, it's a pretty epic upgrade, in my opinion.

Soldato
If you could Matty i'd be grateful. Is it the same model i'm planning on buying (E2710HDS)? Also, how is it for consoles? Planning to hook up my PS3 to it too via HDMI.

Soldato
Thanks mattyfez, i got a Asus 22 1680x1050 right now, im looking to get the E2710HDS very soon, would love to see a side by side picture of them together , it would be for general pc use, but also hd movies and gaming,

thanks

Soldato
Asus 22" 1680x1050 & iiyama 27" 1920x1080

sorry my phone cam cannot cope in anything less than daylight, especially with monitor glare and energy saver lighing in my front room!

IMAG0312-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom