*** The BBC F1 2012 Coverage Thread ***

Soldato
Thread to discuss the BBC coverage of F1 in 2012.

2012 Coverage

For all live races, F1 fans will be able to customise their viewing experience through the BBC's multi-platform offering with options such as: split-screen action; a live leaderboard; in-car cameras; choice of commentary; live online streaming; live text; interactive forums; circuit guides; and blogs.

Qualifying sessions and races live on BBC One and BBC One HD

One-hour evening highlights programme on BBC Three and BBC HD

All races and qualifying sessions that start before 1000 to have full repeat on terrestrial TV later in the day.

The F1 Forum will continue on the red button for about an hour of comment and analysis after the programme. It will also be available on the red button and the website after the non-live races.

BBC F1 Coverage Details

(All programmes BBC One unless stated)

Australia (highlights) - qualifying BBC Two 1300 GMT 17 March; race 1400 GMT 18 March

Malaysia (highlights) - qualifying 1300 GMT 24 March; Race 1445 BST 25 March - further details

China (live) - qualifying 0600 BST 14 April; race 0700 BST 15 April

Bahrain (highlights) - qualifying 1720 BST 21 April; race 1700 BST 22 April - further details

Spain (live) - qualifying 1210 BST 13 May; race 1210 BST 14 May - further details

Monaco (live) - qualifying 1210 BST 26 May; race 1210 BST 27 May - further details

Canada (highlights) - qualifying 2230 BST 9 June; race 2230 BST 10 June - further details

Europe (live) - qualifying 1210 BST 23 June; race 1210 BST 24 June - further details

Britain (live) - qualifying 1210 BST 7 July; race 1210 BST 8 July - further details

Germany (highlights) - qualifying 1700 BST 21 July; race BBC Two 1730 BST 22 July - further details

Hungary (highlights) - qualifying BBC Two 1715 BST 28 July; race BBC One 1700 BST, 29 July - further details

Belgium (live) - qualifying 1210 BST 1 Sep; race 1210 BST 2 Sep

Italy (highlights) - qualifying 1730 BST 8 Sep; race 1730 BST 9 Sep

Singapore (live) - qualifying 1215 BST 22 Sep; race 1210 BST 23 Sep

Japan (highlights) - qualifying 1300 BST 6 Oct; race 1400 BST 7 Oct

Korea (live) - qualifying 0500 BST 13 Oct; race 0600 BST 14 Oct

India (highlights) - qualifying 1300 BST 27 Oct; race 1400 BST 28 Oct

Abu Dhabi (live) - qualifying 1210 GMT 3 Nov; race 1210 GMT 4 Nov

USA (highlights) - qualifying 2230 GMT 17 Nov; race 2230 GMT 18 Nov

Brazil (live)
- qualifying 1500 GMT 24 Nov; race 1500 GMT 25 Nov

Live Races

For all live races, F1 fans will be able to customise their viewing experience through the BBC's multi-platform offering with options such as: split-screen action; a live leaderboard; in-car cameras; choice of commentary; live online streaming; live text; interactive forums; circuit guides; and blogs.
Qualifying sessions and races live on BBC One and BBC One HD
One-hour evening highlights programme on BBC Three and BBC HD
All races and qualifying sessions that start before 1000 to have full repeat on terrestrial TV later in the day

Highlights

Extended highlights on BBC One and BBC One HD, in the early evening for European time zone races and early afternoon for early morning races.
Qualifying: Extended highlights on BBC One and BBC One HD, Saturday evenings for European time zone races and early afternoon for early morning races.
The highlights programmes will broadcast all the key events of the race, you can expect in the region of an hour's worth of action.

Further details can be found here and here

BBC Radio 5 live coverage details

Red Button

The BBC's red button interactive TV service will broadcast live coverage of all on-track sessions - Friday and Saturday practice, qualifying and race - from the 10 races that are live on the BBC.

There will be an additional interactive analysis programme following on from the end of the BBC One coverage of each race.

On race day, viewers will be able to choose from three different video streams.

These will be: the main network feed with a choice of commentary from BBC One and BBC Radio 5 live; a split screen comprising the main network feed; an in-car camera feed and leaderboard; rolling highlights.

The 2012 season will be available to view on the BBC HD channel.

Some red button coverage may not be available on Freeview - further details here.

The Team

Jake Humphrey - presenter
Eddie Jordan - chief analyst
Gary Anderson - technical analyst
Ben Edwards - lead commentator
David Coulthard - co-commentator / analyst
Lee McKenzie - pit-lane reporter

BBC Sport Formula 1

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The threads are to discuss what we think of the coverage when it starts.

There are two threads as F1 is on two separate channels this year. I thought it best to keep the discussion separate.

edit

Also the bbc coverage thread which was closed today had gone off-topic and run its course. So lets keep these on topic.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Australian Grand Prix, Melbourne

Saturday 17 March: Qualifying highlights: 1300-1415, BBC Two/BBC HD/online

Sunday 18 March: Grand Prix highlights: 1400-1600, BBC One/BBC HD/online

Malaysian Grand Prix, Sepang

Saturday 24 March: Qualifying highlights: 1300-1415, BBC One/BBC HD/online

Sunday 25 March: Grand Prix highlights: 1445-1640, BBC One/BBC HD/online

BBC Radio 5 live coverage details

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Formula 1's Greatest Drivers

BBC Sport will this year run down a list of 20 of the greatest drivers in F1 history, revealing one on the Tuesday before every grand prix, starting next week ahead of the season-opening race in Australia.

In each episode, veteran commentator Murray Walker will provide his personal reflections in a career highlights featuring the driver, whom chief F1 writer Andrew Benson will profile.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17299158

Look forward to this, should be good, its got Murray! ;)

Formula 1’s greatest drivers

(click on drivers name for link)

Number 20: Jochen Rindt
Number 19: Graham Hill
Number 18: Jack Brabham
Number 17: Emerson Fittipaldi
Number 16: Nelson Piquet
Number 15: Lewis Hamilton

Last edited:
Soldato
Feels so weird knowing the season starts in a day and I won't be able to watch it live for a month. Will there be any footage of free practice shown? I didn't see it mentioned above.

Soldato
Same. Even though I love F1, it would be a complete waste of money just for the F1 races.

I was talking to my Uncle about it last week, he has it on Sky. He was saying how much better the coverage will be with the build up on Thur, Fri and Saturday and that being for him why it is better now... but I'm not interested in sitting on my butt watching F1 for four days solid! I want the Sunday build up and live race only :(

Back
Top Bottom