*** The BBC F1 2012 Coverage Thread ***

Caporegime
I read somewhere that Canada gets the full BBC coverage for all the races so that may be a reason.

You mean BBC are commentating live over the world feed and selling it elsewhere, or that they are doing the entire show including build up and post race stuff as well?

The former I can believe, although I assume it goes through some commercial arm of the BBC. The latter seems highly unlikely.

Associate
You mean BBC are commentating live over the world feed and selling it elsewhere, or that they are doing the entire show including build up and post race stuff as well?

The former I can believe, although I assume it goes through some commercial arm of the BBC. The latter seems highly unlikely.

All content from the BBC is given over to BBC Worldwide, which sells it on. This is typically why you see content disappear from iPlayer after 30 days.

Caporegime
'All content' being 10 full live race programs, and 10 highlight only weekends, or do they actually films 20 full 'live' programs and all the build up and then sell that on?

I really hope its not the latter. How will people feel if they find out that the BBC are using licence fee payers money to produce F1 content that is then not shown in the UK?

Soldato
Odd that DC got the call wrong on who the SC would benefit.

The first thing my girlfriend said when it happened was that it was playing into Vettel's hands.

She was just disappointed he didn't get pole out of it.

Associate
It's OK I suppose but nowhere near as good as previous years. I'm interested to see what the "F1 forum" will be like. Without it being live and the interactive nature of it I doubt they'll be much point.

I'd say Edwards is OK but is just a "commentator". Brundle had the additional inside knowledge that made a big difference. The Irish "tech" guy in the pits seems pointless. To be frank I think they may as well save themselves even more money and just have Edwards and DC commentating from a broom cupboard in London/Salford and skip all the before/after stuff - which sadly is what made them so good in previous years.

:(

Soldato
Yes it's not as good as it has been, but given the cost of sky (being the alternative) it will do I suppose. I will forever be angry that the bbc have severely cut there coverage but this compromise will suffice for now!

Associate
Yes it's not as good as it has been, but given the cost of sky (being the alternative) it will do I suppose. I will forever be angry that the bbc have severely cut there coverage but this compromise will suffice for now!

Yeah these are pretty much my thoughts. I just wish the BBC hadn't bid for and agreed a 5 year contract, then changed their mind half way though!

Soldato
I thought Edwards was ok for qualifying yesterday, but he annoyed the hell out me for these race highlights. Got far too excited and thus confused on loads of things. Shades of Legard.

If he learns to calm down, he won't be so bad.

Associate
That's his style of commentating though, he has always been "loud" and "shouty" for the many years he has commentated BTCC, F1 for Cinema, F1 Digital and Champcar.

I doubt he will change.

Associate
I thought Ben Edwards was excellent.. didn't really notice any many mistakes? He's got good flow and enthusiasm. I really don't like that annoying SSN girl... she's so irritating.

Back
Top Bottom