My Light Painting Evolving

Associate
Thought I would create this thread just as a timeline on how my skills, technique and creativity change while I learn new things. I have just really got into this over the last month and think I have become addicted!

This first batch of photos are repeats from separate threads but this will be where I post this from now on.

All photos are pretty must straight out of camera, only PP is possible slight crop, small levels adjust and slight noise reduction depending on conditions.

First Physiogram

First Physiogram by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Red Physiogram by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

A bit of light-painting

Barvas Ruin by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Then the Orbs, first came the making of the Orb tool and the first Orbs.

The prep

Can you tell what it's going to be??? by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

The first Orb

First Orb by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

After the first night the wire I used broke, so got the tools out and used a good bit of Hi Flex power cord. Results was quite better and more controlled, a bit more practise and should be looking dam good :D Was quite hard avoiding the couch and worktop though hence one or two off swings.

Another Indoor Orb by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Then the first 'Outdoor' Orb. Came out pretty good although the exposure was too short so had to up the levels slightly.

First Outdoor Orb by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Then a bit of Aurora Borealis

1*

Aurora And The Orb by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

2*

Aurora Spin by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This was the most recent outing, last night was pretty good location. A bit of light pollution but the results came out good I think.

So tonight I ventured out with the wife to a new location I had never been, the Stornoway Gun Battery/Lookout (From circa WW2 I think, will have to look into the history of it another time) Had a lot of fun and added a bit more experience.

1*

Orbing at the Battery by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

2*

A Hot Gun Battery by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

3*

Ball of Light by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

4*

Burning Lookout! by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, thoughts and C&C more than welcome :)

Awesome. Super camp Stanley knife though
Haha you gotta make do with what you got (its the wife's... honest!)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As Auraomega said it is wirewool. Just find a good location, a bit of wire wool, 9v battery, something to hold the wool in and spin!

Creates amazing effects that just makes me go 'Ahh@ everytime I see the result on the LCD when I get back ot the camera. To be honest all this lightpainting shiz makes me go 'wow' how does it do that haha (I know how but, you know? How?)

Thanks for checking out. Will have to put a pic of the gear I use etc at somepoint aswell.

Associate
OP
Thanks, sorry no link as it was a one off sale, they were discontinued a number of years ago so are very hard to get hold of.

As for the sensor, it will be fine, as it is basically an Led torch with a Perspex rod shoved on the end, just bright enough to light up the rod and to be used as atorch of need be.

So chuffed in getting one, took 3 months of searching!

Associate
OP
WOuld you show a pic of the actual orb tool once built? I cant picture it

I will do, been waiting for the V24 so I could put up a full shot of the kit I use and going to use.

Ah sorry - read lenser as laser :o

Haha yea lookign at getting one of them too :) should give nice effects going by some shots I've seen!

how's everyone's german?

can't tell if they deliver to the UK or not
http://www.eslebedaslicht.de/produc...kel-fuer-Innen---Aussen-V24-seven-colors.html

Looks interesting that! May have to find a translator!

Associate
OP
Haven't got a shot of my stuff yet but will get it done tomorrow. Now on to the fun stuff! Tonights escapade seen a return to the Barvas Machair (where I shot the Light Painted Ruin) Orbs weren't my strong point to night, I put it down to the uneven rough terrain (and my noob-ness) but will have to learn to over come it with practice. Lenser V24 had its first proper outing as well, love it, love it and love it! On with the shots though.

Barvas River by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Barvas River 2 by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Ruined Orb by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Ruin Fire by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Night Ruin by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Hope you enjoy looking as much as I do taking.
Thanks

Associate
OP
Thank you very much. I was out again last night, first meet up with a fellow light-painter who has been doing it for quite some time, Colin Cameron. Was a great night I learned quite a bit from him and was good having someone around to point out/help with and yarn to about techniques.

Here are the first 3 of the set, will add the rest over the next few days.

Orbing on the Pier by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Bayble Island Orb by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Burning in Bayble by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Main thing I changed here was the weight of my Orb tool, I wasn't happy with the Orbs from the Barvas Machair, so took some weight off it. It seemed to help big style. I also went for 2 gels, each covered half of the LED's on the end which led to a nice effect (I think) so will continue to experiment. Also used the Exposure Calculator App to help out exposure times etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom