Bitfenix Recon 'Control Yourself' end user review (Picture and Video heavy)

Soldato
Bitfenix were kind enough to send me a Bitfenix Recon controller and two Bitfenix Spectre Pro fans for review after winning their little competition.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18422238

Since I received the parcel I have spent a few hours looking at the fan controller and the fans.

Firstly I mainly opened the box, examined the contents and tested it outside my case on a few fans I had available on my electronics bench.

Then I installed it in my system and got it up and running, talking to my computer and then accessing it's controls first via my PC and then via my Ipod Touch 4G, both via LAN and WAN.

So let's start with some pictures of what came in the parcel from caseking.

That's the controller at the top, 140mm black non-LED on the left and it's 120mm counterpart on the right, along with some sweeties.

P1040928.jpg

I must say I like the way the fans are packaged but am unsure how a fan came claim to make me...

P1040980.jpg

:)

I know this isn't a review of the fans but I thought, seeing as I took the pictures, I'd put them up so you can see them. I really like the look of them.

P1040982.jpg

They come with a Molex to fan adaptor, screws and rubber grommets.

P1040968.jpg

P1040974.jpg

THe grommets actually fit this time

P1040972.jpg

Not sure if I'm right but Bitfenix have sacrificed some of the fan size for their dual frame construction.

P1040993.jpg

But this construction allows you to do this..

P1040989.jpg

..which is awesome to me for some strange reason. A blob of blu-tac and you could stick it anywhere. :)

P1040987.jpg

Again Bitfenix go with one moulding for LED and non-LED fans.

P1040983.jpg

The fans are both rated for the same speed.

P1040936.jpg

P1040938.jpg

1200 RPM at 12v but the current rating is different simply because it's harder for a 1400mm to turn than a 120mm.

The Recon fan controller itself comes in quite a small box, which reminds me a little of After Eights.

P1040939.jpg

P1040933.jpg

I noticed here that the box declares a 30W specification per channel yet their specs declares it as 10W. That's quite a disparity. Perhaps the box was made before they downgraded the power capability as I seem to recall hearing them say it was going to be 30W in an older video when Recon was a dual bay prototype.

P1040931.jpg

Inside the box we have..

P1040940.jpg

..a lot of stuff.

The Recon controller itself and it's assorted attached cables. A manual, some thermal probe stickers, screws for mounting, some spare fan extensions and two spare thermal probes.

P1040942.jpg

The manual itself is just a two sided affair that mainly deals with the operation of the browser based control interface and a brief description on how to set it up.

The other side deals with what the wires dp and what the items are on the screen when it's powered up.

P1040954.jpg

P1040956.jpg

Unfurled from left we have Power hookup with pass through Molex 4 pin peripheral connector(12v and 5v and ground). Fan 1 - Fan 3 with 3/4 pin connectors on the other end (Pin 4 is missing but can take PWM fans). 5 Thermal probe connections (2 wires per probe) which are hot glued in place. Fan4 and Fan 5.

The USB cable comes from below and has two connectors. Bitfenix state you should install the middle one for some reason. I didn't spot this instruction though until I'd already fitted the end one and it didn't work, or I hadn't done something properly. It was difficult for me to fit the cable so I wasn't best pleased.

If the middle USB is important then it should say in the installtion instructions, Bitfenix.

P1040959.jpg

The thermal probes are 10k Ohm NTC thermistor based semi-conductors. You can see the semi-conductor material between the two metallic prongs in the image below.

P1040962.jpg

The PCB is interesting.

P1040950.jpg

The recon fan controller uses a PNP B772 transistor which is a 3 Amp Audio frequency power amplifier, which seems to be used a lot on fan controllers. The cheap fan controller I just retired before fitting the Recon also used the B772, as does my PWM fan to DC fan converter.

According to the manual the fan controller uses frequency modulation to control the fans and this is borne out by the components in use to control fan voltage.

The little 1AN transistor here receives the PWM signal from the controller IC and inverts it through the B772.

P1040946.jpg

This chip is an EEPROM , probably used to store your user settings and remember your fan speeds.

P1040945.jpg

This big IC, I would assume, is the main controller chip which probably deals with pretty much everything including sending PWM to the fan control circuitry.

P1040944.jpg

What I did notice as well was what looked like two LEDs leading down into the display area of the Recon fan controller. Looks like I can switch this to Orange if I choose to. :) :)

P1040951.jpg

So before installing in my computer I decided to check it out down my shed where I normally fiddle with electronics and stuff.

P1050013.jpg

Not sure why but I recorded a video of my findings.

Fan speed range is good with most fans, allowing my 1000 RPM to go down to 400 RPM. I believe it's about 40% PWM duty cycle minimum. You can stop any channel and have 0 RPM as desired.

Temperature recognition was very good when I held the thermistor and fan speed increased quite quickly.

Was initially a bit fiddly to get the speed to manually change but I discovered that it likes to keep the fan speed up for a little while before letting them come down.

If a fan stops then a warning beep will be heard until the fan starts up again. If the fan is stalled it will automatically resume at top speed for a while before returning to the set speed. The stalled channel has no effect on the remaining channels.

Power consumption drops as fan speeds drop. I know this sounds elementary but it's not always the case with fan control, sometimes excess energy is just dumped into heatsinks.

The default speed for Manual setting is zero.

The B772 transistors don't really warm up with any of my single fans. may have to break out a splitter of some description to see how it copes with >10W.

Fan speed adjustment is done in 100RPM jumps, which to my opinion is a bit high, I'd prefer smaller jumps.

Eventually I decided to fit the Recon into my PC.

First I had to connect these Antec thingies so they would fit.

P1050130.jpg

Then installed into my P183 case.

P1050132.jpg

P1050139.jpg

P1050140.jpg

I chose to hook up these two front fans, Bitfenix 1000RPM Spectres.

P1040216.jpg

and the rear Akasa Apache PWM fan as seen here

P1040210.jpg

I chose not to use the Spectre Pro fans as supplied by Bitfenix because the 120mm one has a slight grindy bearing noise issue which ultimately I wouldn't want in my PC. I did consider using the 140mm on my graphics card but without an actual GPU temperature to PWM control I'm not happy to have it in use.

I typically forgot to install the USB cable first so had to shut down and restart. I then realised that nothing was detected as new hardware. This was because the USB cable Bitfenix provide has two USB connectors on it. The end one has no electrical connection to the fan controller unless you were to bridge the connections on the middle connector. It does actually say on the Bitfenix website to fit the middle connector but not in the manual. It's really fiddly for me to fit USB header connectors due to my massive graphics cooler and soundcard so I wasn't too happy.

Once I'd done that I could finally get to this screen.

bitfenix-screen.jpg

It didn't initially want to connect using Internet explorer so I had to use Firefox to browse to http://127.0.0.1:9980 and afterwards it worked off the shortcut Bitfenix software dropped on my desktop.

Next I had to figure out how to get it WANned up.

So I followed this basic guide http://www.overclock.net/a/how-to-i...nternet-access-without-disabling-the-firewall which did the trick.

I could now browse to my WAN IP using a handheld device and control my fans from there.

IMG_0324.png

My handheld device is an iPod Touch 4G that uses Safari as it's default browser, which initially didn't work and just displayed maximal values and didn't update. It seems to be working now though.

IMG_0322.png

You can choose from Auto/Manual and whether to have RPM, PWM duty cycle % or Volts displayed. Temperatures are shown in degrees C or F and reflect exactly what it says on the fan controller screen itself. Updates via mobile browser takes a few seconds or so to update on the Recon itself and refresh in the browser.

Auto and Manual settings are on a global basis and not per fan. I think it's OK but it could be handy to have some fans just chug along at constant speeds while other react. I suppose though this could be done by changing limits on the fans you want steady.

There are three presets P1, P2, P3 which you can set and these changes happen quite quickly.

Settings.jpg

I did make another video of me controlling via my iPod but it kept flashing up my WAN address so I decided to not post it.

P1050142.jpg

And the Recon replaces this awesome controller.

P1050133.jpg

So overall I'm very happy to leave this fan controller in my PC, although I may change the colour eventually.

EDIT:

There are a few points which concern me now that I've been using Recon for a few weeks.

1) The 10W (30W on box) specification is true enough but you will lose some top end speed if you have more than two or three fans per channel. A Lamptron type controller this is not. For most people this just won't be a problem and isn't for me. Many controllers have similar, or indeed worse, current handling.

2) Auto setting cannot be configured to respond to a temperature ceiling. The default fan curve that starts at 20 degrees is set in hardware. The warning temperature is just that, a beep and 100% speed setting. So you could set it really low and get a 30% speed to 100% in 1 degree. This is a similar setup to many other controllers.

3) The LEDs are not easily changed. They are potted in the end of the screen. (to be fair Bitfenix can't really be expected to offer different colour options) For 99% of users this will not be a problem.

4) The Recon will choose a slightly different fan speed on every boot or resume. Recon seems to change the speed of the fan up and down for a few moments after each boot and occasionally during a session. On mine Fan 3 took quite a long time to settle, Fan 4 is much better, Fan 1 & 2 are percect though so go figure.

I would prefer much tighter control over the speed increments instead of 100RPM.

I'm thinking that direct PWM duty cycle control would be better here rather than trying to change it by 100 at a time. People don't run 5000 RPM fans so much these days so 100 RPM is a lot, especially for me with my fans.

Thanks to Bitfenix for allowing normal folk like myself to try out and review their products. I hope I've covered everything.

If I come across anything I will edit or add another post.

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just had a fiddle with the auto settings.

EDIT: The information regarding the changing of the Auto fan curve was apparently incorrect. Recon has a warning limit temperature only that doesn;t seem to affect the duty cycle/temperature response curve at all.

/snip

A gratuitous night shot. This will looks sweet in orange next to my switch panel and with my CPU cooler fan glowing orange in the background and two 16x orange LED fans at the bottom.

P1050152.jpg

Update:

Threw some fans onto a single channel to analyse the effect on load on the channel and whether Recon can handle as much as 10W (0.8A). Well it can....mostly.

Using a very similar circuit to the one I'm using to convert PWM to DC output the results are totally as I expected. The Recon will drive 0.8A of fans, but you'll see a couple of volts drop on the output.

I would say you'd be totally fine running 3x 1000-2000 RPM off each channel before the speed drops too much, and even then it might not even be a problem. Fans aren't perfect DC loads as they have inductance too so joining them like this can cause drops that wouldn't occur when using a single fan. My highest rated fan is 2500 RPM and 0.25 Amperes and it runs it just fine.

Last edited:

RJC

RJC

Don
Nice review Tealc, I am pretty pleased with my Recon controller on my system :)

I have yet to install the software on my Iphone.

Caporegime
Nice review Tealc. Been considering this controller myself since my zalman died. Had looked at the lamptron FC2, but with this un being from bitfenix, it may fit my shinobi xl that bit better.

Soldato
Nice review. I have just installed one this evening. I have got the Hardware setup but am yet to install the and use the software. However part of the screen has a dead pixel. I can't decided whether to send it back or not.

Associate
I got one of these as well. Do you find when using the web page setup, that it is quite strange trying to save and load profiles? I like mine, remember wondering why there are 2 USB plugs on there if you can only use one lol.

How does the auto work? The temp probes were pretty ugly and I couldn't be bothered to put them around my case. I am happy with my controller, but use it manually via the web page. Haven't even tried to use it on my Lumia 900 yet.

Thanks for the review, rules the fans out for me I think. :p

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys. Maybe a bit long and a bit too thorough perhaps though. Not really sure how one can review a fan controller without talking about everything. Maybe I should have spent a few minutes pointing at features, not bothered even to install it and given it a Kickass rating :)

Yeah I was rather disappointed by the 120mm fan bearing noise but I doubt if it's a design flaw but rather just my bad luck in getting a less than perfect fan. If I had purchased it the fan would har been RMAed. The 140mm fan is veeery smooooooth with very low mechanical noise and I may use it on my graphics card with one of my PWM to DC converters as my Thermalright TY-140 has always ticked a bit.

As for the mobile device it requires no software other than a browser, your WAN address and the port, the default being 9980. So something like
Code:
http://12.11.10.9:9980
and it'll load right up once your firewall and router allow the traffic. The tutorial link I provided in my review above deals with all these steps.

Was sitting on my sofa last night and my rear fan was making noise so I just loaded up Safari and dialed it down. Lazy but strangely gratifying and totally awesome.

The auto setting works on a curve beginning at 20 degrees with lowest speed and gradually increases up to 100% at a temperature you set, or accept the default. I've updated Post#2 with some information on that.

I'm really confused by the USB cable. I could understand if they had the two lengths for smaller and larger cases but the lack of a jumper to connect the wires on the middle plug seems an omission to me. Maybe Bitfenix have a reason for this and a possible interface wth another USB device later on or something as once you hook it up using the middle plug you have half an active USB header connector to connect to something else. The Recon therefore doesn't take up a whole USB connector but shares it out. I suppose that has to be commended. I assumed we'd have an option of an actual USB A connector, maybe even an adaptor from Harwin connector to USB A. I may fit a USB A onto the header connector at a later stage, maybe when I switch the LED colour, as I just don't like having a stripey cable dangling down inside my case very much. I'd prefer a USB cable sneaking out the back and into a port at the rear of my machine.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm having issues with my web based controller, difficult to get it to load or save profiles, well... impossible it seems. Trying to edit with wordpad now...

Lol. Never mind I didn't realise how simple it is. You just have to select speeds and click 'set' to save the profiles. I had been trying to save and load and wondering why nothing happened. ¬_¬

BTW, where did you place your temp probes?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have the probes out of the direct air stream where possible but near the zone where the fan is acting. So one is on top of my rear fan. One is in the middle of my bottom chamber an the final one is just threaded in between my graphics card power wiring.

Soldato
OP
Added some more information to Post #2. Specifically some multiple fan load tests vs voltage drop.

Maybe I go too far with things. :/

Soldato
Added some more information to Post #2. Specifically some multiple fan load tests vs voltage drop.

Maybe I go too far with things. :/

Not at all. I love the fact that you're passionate enough to do this.

I'm especially grateful for it in the personal correspondence we've exchanged. You've helped me a great deal with the decisions I've needed to make.

Soldato
Hey mate

Sont know if you can help me but i have the new corsair SP120's and the AF140's in my PC and have 9 in total on my Recon.

Now the thing is it keeps stalling the fans on a couple of channels when i set it in auto or in manual.

Tried setting the fans to 1000-1200-1400-1500rpm in manual mode and still it happens.

How can i stop this ? Im running just the 1st 3 channels using 3 way splitters.

Soldato
OP
Hiya.

One thing I didn't try was throwing multiple fans,say 3 or 4 at 0.5A total at a channel with it dialled down to below 12v.

The High performance SP120s draw 0.14A from a 12v source and the quiet ones more like 0.04A from 12v. If you had 3x SP120 high performance at 0.42A on a single channel and selected around 50% duty cycle I'd imagine they'd be running pretty slow due to the voltage sag, 1000 RPM may actually be more like 800 RPM but I'd expect with 1500 RPM dialled in it would spin them up. Those Corsair, judging my their low current, must be very smooth. Do want.

If you must have more fans per channel you should adjust the fan curve to compensate. Bring the control temperature down so it speeds up quicker.

I'm unsure yet if the RPM reading displayed has any basis in reality. It may work as a percentage best guess based on the duty cycle. I hooked up my Apache fan today to Recon and my motherboard RPM sensor and the figures were quite different at times. I may look further into this with several fans.

Bitfenix Recon is not a Lamptron competitor. It does not have a massive buck converter circuit featuring a few Amperes of current. It's designed for one or two fans per channel. It's a relatively simple controller with a nice interface and internet connectivity.

Soldato
Hiya.

One thing I didn't try was throwing multiple fans,say 3 or 4 at 0.5A total at a channel with it dialled down to below 12v.

The High performance SP120s draw 0.14A from a 12v source and the quiet ones more like 0.04A from 12v. If you had 3x SP120 high performance at 0.42A on a single channel and selected around 50% duty cycle I'd imagine they'd be running pretty slow due to the voltage sag, 1000 RPM may actually be more like 800 RPM but I'd expect with 1500 RPM dialled in it would spin them up. Those Corsair, judging my their low current, must be very smooth. Do want.

If you must have more fans per channel you should adjust the fan curve to compensate. Bring the control temperature down so it speeds up quicker.

I'm unsure yet if the RPM reading displayed has any basis in reality. It may work as a percentage best guess based on the duty cycle. I hooked up my Apache fan today to Recon and my motherboard RPM sensor and the figures were quite different at times. I may look further into this with several fans.

Bitfenix Recon is not a Lamptron competitor. It does not have a massive buck converter circuit featuring a few Amperes of current. It's designed for one or two fans per channel. It's a relatively simple controller with a nice interface and internet connectivity.

Looks like im gonna have to send it back then..

What would you get ?

Back
Top Bottom