Bitfenix Recon 'Control Yourself' end user review (Picture and Video heavy)

Soldato
Hmm, are those temperature probes waterproof? As in, would it be feasable (or a good idea) to stick them in watercooling fluid so the controller alters the rad fan speeds dependant on cooler temp? Or would is actually be better to put the probe on the exhause rad.

Ì would think putting it on the heatsink would be best point as it is source of heat. ;)

Associate
Whilst id agree with you if i was air cooling but with the EK watercooling blocks (these are obviously plastic topped) they wont conduct heat as well surely, because as i say theyre half plastic and the probe would have to go here, maybe im looking at this the wrong way however...

Associate
I'd just like to add an observation about voltages because they seem to have been mentioned a couple of times in the thread. As far as I can tell (remember I do not have the technical documentation from BitFenix) the voltage displayed in the OEM Recon software is not read from the device; it's calculated in the software by taking the max reported RPM, the current RPM and the assumption that max reported RPM is when the fan is at 12V.

Soldato
Whilst id agree with you if i was air cooling but with the EK watercooling blocks (these are obviously plastic topped) they wont conduct heat as well surely, because as i say theyre half plastic and the probe would have to go here, maybe im looking at this the wrong way however...

Didn't realize they were plastic topped. How about against the metal on hose fittings? or against radiator manifold where the coolant line from heatsink goes into radiator? or on side of hose with insulation wrapped around sensor so heat from water reaches sensor but doesn't radiate beyond?

Soldato
Did you do anything to sort the rpm fluctuation?

On manaul, 2x of my SP120's sit happy as 1000 rpm. The other (channel 2) goes up and down like a yoyo and sometimes spins up to full speed then back down. I can up the speed a bit so it doesnt "stall" but still annoying with the rpm change.

I have 2x AF140 on the other 2 channels which are 100% fine.

Soldato
OP
Did you do anything to sort the rpm fluctuation?

Not really, well unless you include swapping my fan to channel 4 from channel 3. It initially varied for a minute or so after boot but has now settled down and is more or less running at a constant speed. The speed still varies sometimes between 800, 900 and 1000 RPM but doesn't wind up and down, which was frankly quite annoying.

Just waiting on Phoebetria being developed to adjust fan curves so I can reduce the idle speed of the rear fan to my liking. I'd prefer it to be at a designated speed at a designated temperature rather than this random speed I seem to be getting.

Associate
Just waiting on Phoebetria being developed to adjust fan curves so I can reduce the idle speed of the rear fan to my liking. I'd prefer it to be at a designated speed at a designated temperature rather than this random speed I seem to be getting.

The other feature being planned for V1.2.x, and related to the fan curves, is the ability for a fan to turn off when the temperature is below a user-defined threshold. This will be optional of course ;) I'll be starting on the fan curves next week.

As an observation I am not sure that Auto works very well on my Recon. It doesn't seem to matter how close to the temperature I set the 'alarm temp' -- the fans seem to stay at pretty much the same speed :/

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yup alarm temp is just an alarm temp, although it does ramp to 100% when it gets there so that's something I suppose.

So if you set your alarm at 31 degrees and you are running at 50% fan speed at 30 degrees it'll kick right up to 100% on that extra degree. I wasn't aware fan controllers worked like this but apparently they do.

Associate
How do you guys hide the probes? they look pretty ugly to me. Would I be able to stick one to the top plate on my D-14 and get a reading for auto control for all fans with just 1 probe? Or does it average the temp out or something? I see no need to have so many probes as there are only 2 real sources of heat in my system...

Associate
Yup alarm temp is just an alarm temp, although it does ramp to 100% when it gets there so that's something I suppose.

So if you set your alarm at 31 degrees and you are running at 50% fan speed at 30 degrees it'll kick right up to 100% on that extra degree. I wasn't aware fan controllers worked like this but apparently they do.

Well, I don't like it so Phoebetria might not work that way :p :D

How do you guys hide the probes? they look pretty ugly to me. Would I be able to stick one to the top plate on my D-14 and get a reading for auto control for all fans with just 1 probe? Or does it average the temp out or something? I see no need to have so many probes as there are only 2 real sources of heat in my system...

All of my probes are routed from behind the system tray so they're not really visible (except with the back cover off). I have one one on near the CPU and the wire for that one I tried to align it with components on the motherboard so it's kind of hidden.

As for you other question... I don't know, but the other guy I am working with on my project may have wired probes together; I'll ask him. I suppose if you don't mind the temperatures being inexact (they're not calibrated anyway) you might be able to splice a single probe to go to multiple channels on the Recon controller (they just plug in) but an electronics person is probably more qualified to suggest that than me

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

I don't hide them really. No window and I don't look in there much.

You might be able to connect all probe outputs to one actual probe by electrically joining all pin 1s with the active pin1 and the sane with pin2s.

Associate
Also, if you're going to "hide" them, don't hide them too close to a fan. I did and the probe got sucked into the fan... not good :eek:

Associate
LOL! Oh yeah, the 14cm fan would gobble it up. I'll stick to using the web browser profiles. :p Thanks anyway lol :D too much hassle!

Associate
Phoebetria 1.2.x will support controlling any fan from any probe. So if you wait a few weeks you might be able to get rid of some of the probes ;)

Soldato
OP
Added a bit of red acetate sheet to the front of Recon yesterday to subdue some of the white/blue colour that was spoiling my orangeness.

recon-oranged.jpg

It is just cut and sits on top of the touch screen and the touch screen still works.

Easier than changing LEDs.

Orange acetate (even three sheets) changed the colour more to amber yellow and red is a little redder than I'd like but it's pretty good I think. :)

Associate
Lamptron. I have the Recon, I only got it because I needed a flat faced controller. It's alright for what it does, but I would much prefer a manual one like the Lamptron.

Soldato
I appreciate that this thread has not been updated in a while, but the Recon I've got is really causing be grief.

No matter what I do, the RPM of the fans does not change. I can set it to 400/500rpm on the controller, but it reports 1100. If I manually set it to 4-500, its like it is just set on high.

Any idea how to fix this, it driving me nuts!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom