Origin in genuine consumer positive over Steam

Caporegime
Just looked at my Facebook news feed, when I happened upon ;

https://www.origin.com/us/news/origin-great-game-guarantee?fb08192013

That is a genuinely positive thing from EA, as much as I do hate EA for all their wrongdoings, and their recent positives won't change that, I do have to give credit where credit is due.

We've all had the same problem, not wanting to blow money as we can't get a refund if we don't like the game, some of us have went other means to get a "demo" well not we don't have to.

Soldato
Very impressive, although as somebody said above Origin does tend to be expensive so still unlikely to buy from them. Wish they had this when I purchased Sim City, that's one of the few times where I've really felt I wanted a refund.

Caporegime
EA customer service hits a home run once again if only steam were this innovative.

I wonder what happens with games that take last than 24hours to complete trololol

Associate
Saw the news early hours of this morning and literally had to rub my eyes before I could believe what I was reading. EA are seriously trying to fix their image.

Soldato
That's pretty decent news. Hopefully Steam will implement something similar so that a client I actually plan to use ever again ends up having this kind of option.

Actually no, let's hope Steam doesn't implement this. It could royally screw over developers. Let's take To The Moon for example; One of the best indie games I have played, but it only took 3 hours to complete.

This means I could then ask for a refund, meaning I have effectively played the game for free. Is this not the same concept as piracy? (albeit within a limited time frame)

This would be true for most single player games that have a linear story line that can be completed in under 24 hours (which is most games nowadays).

Blazin

Soldato
That's pretty decent news. Hopefully Steam will implement something similar so that a client I actually plan to use ever again ends up having this kind of option.

+1 I think Steam has to either:

1. Copy what Origin have done, or beat it.
2. Offer demos for every single game they add from now on and prompt users to perhaps try the demo before purchasing.

Soldato
This is obviously very good - although I wonder what the small print is. I would imagine there will be restrictions, such as only being able to do it once every X.

The only thing is though ... buying games direct through origin its horrendously expensive... like 25% above retail usually, if not more. So would you really pay that extra for this guarantee? As I bet it doesnt work when activating a key.,.,

- and in response to the above about steam - it would be good if they did do similar, although i dont think this will change anything, as Steam's pricing is at least sometimes decent, unlike origin

Caporegime
That is awesome, doubt Valve will do the same while steam prints money

EDIT: Only EA games it seems, will be interesting if third parties agree as that would make it more likely on steam, otherwise its just a nice gesture from EA

Soldato
Maybe what the EA guy said about no longer wanting to be percieved as evil was true...

This is a good first step.

Back
Top Bottom