Free Cisco Meraki AP

Associate
Not sure if anyone has posted this before but it may be of some use to someone.

You have to work in the IT profession which I'm sure many of you do, but I know not everyone on here does. You also have to attend an hour long demo webinar.

http://meraki.cisco.com/freeap

If this isn't allowed please remove.

Associate
Done it and got one, you get a 3 year license with the AP as well so nothing to pay.

OK unit, but I seem to struggle streaming video over them. Management platform is the best of a few cloud ones I have tried though by a mile.

Soldato
got one to :D its been pretty good and almost feel guilty for not paying for it as it really is a good bit of kit. Stupidly simple to setup.

Only issues we have is the captive portal has a few issues with phones and xp doesnt always redirect.

Soldato
Looks interesting, do I just select any webinar there is a few listed with some dates, I assume I just register and join the webinar on the date?

Associate
OP
Thanks for confirming TheKnat!

DJMK4, correct you choose a webinar and then register. I'm attending the Introduction to Cloud Managed Security next Wednesday 13th 14:00 - 15:00 :)

Associate
I think my streaming problems were actually to do with the file server is was streaming from. I've just setup 2 MR16 access points in my house and everything is working great. I like how I can easily configure QoS for things like Google Video and Netflix and looking at my switch, its properly tagging packets so the switch is also treating it with higher priority.

Associate
Cheers for this OP. Just signed up. Entered my home address as the delivery address. Hope that's allowed....Doesn't say it has to be the business address so hopefully will be.

Out of interest how long after the webinar do you get the AP?

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's a very good piece of hardware. I prefer the MR16s though because they have a 5GHz radio in.

Aerohive were a lot more competitive on price without having to mess around, and Meraki's support was awful last time I had to use it. I would never even dream of renewing the subscription once the 3 years is up.

Soldato
Am i right in thinking the device doesn't work without a subscription, so after the included 3-years the device essentially is dead?
And does anyone know a rough price of a subscription?

Associate
OP
Am i right in thinking the device doesn't work without a subscription, so after the included 3-years the device essentially is dead?
And does anyone know a rough price of a subscription?

Yep, I believe you have to have a subscription in order to manage the device. Maybe someone will make a firmware available to use it as an AP on its own?.

This is more of an educational tool for myself rather than a full time solution.

Thanks for this, how soon after do you receive the AP?

My friend received his after 4 weeks but i think he had a bit of a problem with the delivery.

Signed up for the Webinar, is that all I have to do then?

Provided a company email/postal address etc.

Thanks for this btw, looking forward to having a play.

Again my friend advised he had to provide the business VAT number after the webinar unsure if they require any other info.

Associate
OP
Ah sweet!. I received an email straight away asking if i had any further questionss regarding the product but no call :(

Back
Top Bottom