Golf R Estate

Soldato
I've been looking for a car with more space and speed over my current F20 118i for a while. My focus was on the BMW 3 & 5 Touring range but the cost with options was too much.

VW have just launched the Golf Estate and it meets my requirements perfectly; loads of luggage space, four wheel drive, great level of standard kit and 300bhp. so I have placed my order for the R DSG version, Hopefully it should be delivered by August.

17082701889_7d2b2d6778_c.jpg

17081136948_eb38bc940b_c.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Awkward? It looks like a Golf. It does look a bit like it's wearing braces but not what I'd call awkward, personally.

Soldato
The problem with the Golf R is that it is too expensive, an R estate with leather and the pro nav is going to be 35-36k before discounts which assuming are the same as the hatch which is around 13%

If you factor in discounts where 20%+ is possible with BMW they work out around the same price as a well spec'd 3 series touring or a standard 530D or 535i touring which comes with leather and nav as standard (admittedly with the poverty spec small screen)

Last edited:
Caporegime
You say you ordered the DSG version like there was a choice! Manual was dropped for the R Wagon according to the reviews!

I do like these, but think the cost compared to the S3 is a bit steep, and the cabin isn't as nice.

Man of Honour
great level of standard kit

Really? Leather isn't standard, it costs a staggering £1700, Nav isn't standard, it costs as much as £1800? It doesn't seem to have a great level of standard kit at all - infact it looks about average.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The problem with the Golf R is that it is too expensive, an R estate with leather and the pro nav is going to be 35-36k before discounts which assuming are the same as the hatch which is around 13%

If you factor in discounts where 20%+ is possible with BMW they work out around the same price as a well spec'd 3 series touring or a standard 530D or 535i touring which comes with leather and nav as standard (admittedly with the poverty spec small screen)
I've spent a lot of time looking at 535i and 335i costs and they just don't work for me.

The 535i list price is £47k, even with a 20% discount (unlikely) it's £38k. It also comes with a dismal choice of colours (white, black, silver, grey and dark blue) and doesn't have four wheel drive.

The 335i list price is £41k but by the time required options are added it's £44k (£35k possible with discount) and again, doesn't have four wheel drive.
I need a replacement car by August at the latest which means I can't wait for the LCI model due soon.

The Golf R Estate is costing me £29k, so 6-9k cheaper.

[TW]Fox;27960098 said:
Really? Leather isn't standard, it costs a staggering £1700, Nav isn't standard, it costs as much as £1800? It doesn't seem to have a great level of standard kit at all - infact it looks about average.
Leather seats aren't essential for me and Nav is included in the infotainment upgrade from build week 25 (August).
Everything else - xenons, adaptive cruise, elec folding mirrors & seats and privacy glass is standard.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Why the must for 4wd?
90% of my driving doesn't need it but the other 10% does.
The road into my estate is a 15% hill with a hairpin corner at the bottom of it. A light frost means a RWD car can't get up it. I've had to park at the bottom and walk up several times last winter which I have no issues doing by myself but with a 3 year old child it's a no go.

Also I do a lot of mountain biking in remote places and tend to get stuck very easily.
Recent examples
February I had to park on a grass verge and got stuck, even with the assistance of 4 people, and had to wait for backup to get us.
End of March I got stuck in a field wet and had to wait 2 hours to get towed out.

Soldato
Can you buy a car without electric mirrors nowadays? :p

Yes you can. Pretty sure those little C1s/pug 107s have manual mirrors. I think the VW Up might have them too.

He meant folding mirrors.

The MIB II Infotainment system looks like a good improvement. SDK^, would you mind linking me to an article where it says that navigation is included in the Composition media system please?

You say you ordered the DSG version like there was a choice! Manual was dropped for the R Wagon according to the reviews!

Oddly enough, you can only choose a manual on the VW site. Someone's messed up :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The idea of this car is great, but as others have mentioned, it is just so expensive. Not that this is a new situation for Volkswagen. Part of me is hoping for epic depreciation to drive the cars into the second hand market into affordable territory.

Doubt it will be as rare as the r36 Passat estate though.

Soldato
I really like them. But as said above what VW is charging for them is insane. However I am seeing a few on the 5 door hatch here.

Wonder how many are on finance?

Back
Top Bottom