0 to 100 Miles in 100 Days

Soldato
100miles is easy.
even when I'm totally unfit and didn't cycle for years I went from 0 > 20 miles in about 6 rides with 2 days rest between, with the first ride being about 2 miles and done in

once you can do 20 miles, 30 miles is just as easy or 40.

obviously at a leisurely pace of like 15mph average
100 miles for someone who's not ridden far before is no laughing matter.
You'll want to be putting in as many hours on the bike as you can in what little time you have left.

Soldato
OP
Hi folks! Back again --- 12 days to go and the extent of my training is wire brushing my shed and pleasure rides with my little one. Unfortunately the house move got in the way and other priorities cropped up!

I've been given a cheat sheet of things I should get:
* Camelback
* Trail mix?
* SIS Powder?
* Padded shorts

Is there anything else I should sort out?

Plan to head out this evening maybe...

Soldato
* Camelback
* Trail mix?
* SIS Powder?
Personally, I would swap these out for two bottles on your bike, maybe with SiS electrolyte tabs and a bunch of gels/energy bars. But I guess it's personal preference at this point.

I think I would look to getting some decent miles in during the next 8 or 9 days, then a bit of a rest before the event itself.

Soldato
If you haven't been taking gels to this point avoid them. Can play havoc on the gut. Stay natural where possible and eat little and often trying to have a balanced food of carbs,(some sugars)protein and fats. Jam and peanut Butter on those square thins bread are great for this.

Soldato
If you haven't been taking gels to this point avoid them. Can play havoc on the gut. Stay natural where possible and eat little and often trying to have a balanced food of carbs,(some sugars)protein and fats. Jam and peanut Butter on those square thins bread are great for this.
Cheap ones maybe.
I love Veloforte gels. Never had an issue with them, or Maurten for that matter. But not the cheapest!

Soldato
If you've not been taking them. It's not worth the risk. I don't have issues but know plenty of people who've tried taking good ones for events and just fallen to pieces.

Soldato
OP
Think I'll stick to trailmix and standard energy bars. You guys reckon bottles rather than a camelback? Are there any specific tablets I should look out for?

Soldato
OP
Cheers chaps - first bath of gear arrived. I went standard Amazon plonk:
Vil3nlj.jpg

Some padded shorts
Padded seat cover
SIS tablets

What's the score with backpacks to keep snack bars etc? Or do you guys attach something to the bike?

And what kind of water bottles do you use/can you expect to fit into the bottle holder? I have a flask type thing at the moment which works but is a bit of a pain to pop the lid off of. Considering getting 2 cheapie bottles.

Soldato
OP
Sticking to the Amazon theme, just anything this shape would work.

800ml is good depending on how frequent the aid stations are.
Ordered thanks.

RE: Backpack/bag to attach to bike - I guess I'll need trail mix (although backpack doesn't seem easily accessible?) and somewhere for a waterproof. Is there something I can attach to the bike itself quite easily?

Soldato
Even for 100 mile rides (in one go) I've not needed a bag to carry fuel. Granted, I expect to make a few stops for cake, but I only generally take 3 or 4 gels and bars, which will go in my cycle jersey back pockets.

Do they have feed stations planned?

Soldato
OP
Even for 100 mile rides (in one go) I've not needed a bag to carry fuel. Granted, I expect to make a few stops for cake, but I only generally take 3 or 4 gels and bars, which will go in my cycle jersey back pockets.

Do they have feed stations planned?
OK so maybe I'll grab a jersey (hadn't thought about top half) with some pockets and that'll be sufficient. Yeah I think lunch is half way through. Support on hand at all times, too...

Bottom half - shorts over my cycling shorts - and then shoes - just any old trainers?

Caporegime
take some antisceptic cream, IDK if chamois cream has it built in? your likely to get sore buttocks seeing as you haven't normally long distance

try not to sit down for more than 5mins without pedalling standing up a lil bit to keep the blood flowing in your backside or it will start to go numb

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks. I was browsing my Strava account yesterday and saw I have done a few 13km cycles without evening thinking twice, so I have had a bit of a confidence boost from that.

I also didn't realise these shorts were underwear, so I've ordered a pair for day two.

Noted on antiseptic cream - where does that go through? :cry:

Soldato
Thanks. I was browsing my Strava account yesterday and saw I have done a few 13km cycles without evening thinking twice, so I have had a bit of a confidence boost from that.

I also didn't realise these shorts were underwear, so I've ordered a pair for day two.

Noted on antiseptic cream - where does that go through? :cry:

That's some confidence you have. Have done a couple rides less than a tenth of the distance and using it as motivation :D

Soldato
Yeah, I wasn't sure whether to say anything or not as I know what's big and a great achievement for one person, is next to nothing to another, but in this case, it does feel like one doesn't really indicate the ability to do the other.

I find you have that point where things just stop working (your legs mainly!). When I started, it was generally around 25 miles. As you ride further and longer, that moves to further and longer. You almost break yourself and repair stronger. How long to go now? I would be trying to get at least a 30 mile ride in and then maybe a 40 mile ride before the actual event.

Soldato
Yeah, I wasn't sure whether to say anything or not as I know what's big and a great achievement for one person, is next to nothing to another, but in this case, it does feel like one doesn't really indicate the ability to do the other.

I find you have that point where things just stop working (your legs mainly!). When I started, it was generally around 25 miles. As you ride further and longer, that moves to further and longer. You almost break yourself and repair stronger. How long to go now? I would be trying to get at least a 30 mile ride in and then maybe a 40 mile ride before the actual event.

I think it’s this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom