1/2" ID - 3/4 OD in 2020

Associate
My 5930k has had a good life but it's starting to degrade and will only OC with Core 2 entirely disabled, so it's time to build - problem is my old rig is built with 1/2" - 3/4" flexi tube and that doesn't seem to be a widely-stocked standard anymore.

Do you reckon there'll be an issue if I run a couple runs in a smaller size or do you reckon it's just worth having a look at how this hard line tubing works and swapping the whole thing over?

Current case is a USB2.0 Corsair 800D so I'm looking at a Lian Li O11 XL for the USBC front IO, and EK front-mounted distro plate for the loop install.

Cheers all, and hi for the first time in a few years!

Associate
OP
Oh sorry pal, should have been clearer - I'm gonna need more fittings and runs due to the motherboard also requiring runs and the distro plate, current fittings are matt black bitspower sized for the tubes and I'm not seeing much stock of those about anymore.

Edit: Ooooh I didn't realise these were a thing, wonder how they'd work down the distro for making equipment swaps easier?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitspower-quick-release-1-4-inch-male-matte-black-wc-508-bp.html

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ah, ok.

In that case 16/10mm is the new 'norm' for soft tubing imo

A couple of runs in this size won't effect flow to any noticable degree if added to a 1/2" - 3/4" loop.

Hardline is purely choice, it takes longer to fit due to the heating/bending aspect and offers no performance benefits, only aesthetics.

If you've got a heat gun lying around at home - buy a couple of lengths and see how you get on with it before commiting to an entire loop.

Associate
OP
Ah nice one, thanks pal.

That's a good call actually - I can make up the smaller missing runs like distro->rad with 10/16 and some cheap EK fittings and see how I fare with a bit of hardline, if it goes well I can swap it out.

Soldato
Though probably not ideal
It's possible to put 3/8 I'd 5/8 od
16mm/10mm tubing on your existing fittings
Done it with mine
Stuck the end of the tubing in a cup of boiling water for a few seconds to soften
It and shoved it on
And quick disconnects are great
I use them so the cpu, gpu or pump can
Be removed without draining down
The loop

Back
Top Bottom