1 £3,000 door

Associate
Surely people buying those apartments would throw up if they knew the doors were mostly MDF from B&Q! lol

Veneering is a skill that takes a good decade to master, worth every penny if you want the best. As I said MDF is a excellent substrate for veneering.

Tea Drinker
Don
OP
Man of Honour
Surely people buying those apartments would throw up if they knew the doors were mostly MDF from B&Q! lol

they wouldnt care, its all about how much they cost so they can brag to their mates, after all its only wbankers that will be buying these propertys :p

Associate
Yeah, the rich are a fussy bunch. However the association of veneered with 'poor quality' needs to be debunked. Consider queen Anne chests by Chippendale for an obvious example. Study the marquetry, these craftsmen didn't use veneers because they were cheap. The techniques would be almost impossible with solid.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
they wouldnt care, its all about how much they cost so they can brag to their mates, after all its only wbankers that will be buying these propertys :p
They wouldn't even care about bragging. London is full of empty shells held by foreign investors as piggy banks

Caporegime
Just proves that fools in London with pretensious ideas are easily parted from their money. That door looks horrible. As a painter and decorator. I've coated much better looking proper solid wood doors that cost less. Mdf, shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as proper wood.:D

Caporegime
Have you got a source for that? I'm pretty sure London is a very densely populated city. It's in no way full of empty shells.

It's certainly not full of empty shells but a significant proportion/majority of new built properties are sold to overseas buyers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22825881

Last year 7,000 new-build properties were sold in London, with more than 5,000 sold to overseas buyers.

http://www.cityam.com/blog/13945456...s-stop-offering-london-homes-foreigners-first

Boris Johnson will urge developers and investors this afternoon to sign up to a new deal to stop giving buyers living abroad the first chance to buy London homes sold before they’re built, in a bid to get more Londoners onto the housing ladder

Essentially the majority of new builds in London are marketed and sold overseas before even being marketed in this country.

Personally I like the look of the door, if I was building a modern interior I would have a door like that, probably not a £3k version bough...

Caporegime
More expensive in materials, probably cheaper in labour. However you will not be able to achieve the same quality of finish as what you see in that picture. That door will also maintain that look in decades to come, solid will not.

I disagree, have never seen any veneer aged well, not going to start now. This method is not time tested.

Show the door to me in 100 years and we can talk.

Caporegime
I think he used Queen Anne Chests as an argument of how veneer can age well. That said I can't see MDF ageing as well as proper wood with a veneer over the top!

Associate
This door has solid rails, styles & mullions, the only veneered parts are the ply quartered infill panels. They take me about two days to fully assemble & prepare, total cost is about £600-£700 per door in Sapele which is a close match to mahogany.

This one is 82 x 43 inch :D

1896829_10152897138357889_6310245701944432947_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom