• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10850K or wait for 1190K?

Soldato
Intel is building them on 14nm, a tried and tested process. I think Intel will be extremely competitive on price, as they're in dire need of a big PR win.

its showing its age staying on it for far too long using more power outputting more heat and had to take out 2 cores ? how can i9 be 8 cores ? the i9 is just overclocked i7

have you seen the price leaks ? but of couse we have to wait officially

Associate
100% wait for the 11900k. It's got a huge IPC increase. The majority of games and apps don't use more than 4-6 cores, so IPC is still king.

You also get AVX-512 support, something more applications will make use of down the line.

I'm not so sure if it's quite as black and white as that.

Increased IPC will have an immediate difference without a doubt, as throughput abilities are directly linked to IPC count, the question is how much real world difference will a user see in his/her system with exactly the same other hardware upon release of these chips, vs the best of what's available to them now (or what they may have) and is AVX-512 support now for increased application performance "down the line" worth justifying the premium of upgrading as soon as they release later this year, when who knows what will happen pricing wise.

Associate
I picked up my 10900kf at £385. Happy at 5.2ghz on 10 cores.. and room is lovely and warm.. I could only imagine how much hhotter the 11900k would be :D

Associate
dont forget PCIe 4.0 the new 30 series cards are 4.0 ready and the ryzen cpu's, in future most new hardware will be 4.0 ready, more bandwidth ect

Associate
i'm having second thoughts on my advice to friend.

He still wants to build now, and still wants Intel, so CPU, cost and value for money wise as discussed is going to be the 10850K if we buy new, but, I am beginning to think waiting for the Z590 boards is a bad idea.

for the following reasons....
  • Premium Price
  • Constant slipping time frame
  • No urgency from the manufacturers because 11th Gen CPUs aren't available
  • Heavy reliance on 11th Gen CPUs with **** poor backwards compatibility
  • Dedicated "main" m.2 socket on z590 boards will NOT BE AVAILABLE to 10th Gen CPUs
  • Poor PCIe lane allocation implementation on some boards - like Gigabyte Vision z590 which has four m.2 drives, one not available to 10th Gen CPU and 2 which share bandwidth with the primary GPU PCIe x16 socket
  • PCIe 4.0 will obviously only be available with 11th Gen CPU
  • Some seriously sparse backplates for the money they are asking

Associate
I am looking at building a new system based around a 10850k or 10900k or kf just for gaming,what are the best m/b, 32gb memory combinations, I probably will be doing overclocking later
I was looking at Ryzen earlier but there seem to be so many posts about problems with that setup I thought I would stick with intel
Thanks

Associate
Recent build with a work colleague used the 10850k and Gigabytes Z490 Vision G board, he's a gamer, but the board was selected for its all round options taking into account features support for future 11th Gen CPU and things like a dedicated PCIe 4.0 m.2 socket, and cost, so although not a gaming orientated board, it's quite capable, RGB is pretty minimal, and it's BIOS is not as user friendly and overclocking orientated as say an ASUS ROG board, or higher end previous generation ASUS boards.

The chip he is very happy with, some room for overclocking, not as hot as his previous older setup and he's more than happy with his selection considering the higher premium for the 10900K

Associate
I think the problem is not if you wait for the CPU, if your building now, then it's AMD or Intel 10th gen, but, if you go Intel, then you have a problem in regards to the motherboard scenario, we went with a z490 board as it offers some future features compatibility without the premium or the delay in getting it, personally I think if you want 11th gen and will wait it's not a problem, but to pay the premium now for the z590 boards (if you can find the one you want) doesn't offer enough value for money

Last edited:
Associate
I’ve bought a few parts for my new build, including an Asus Rog Strix Z590-E. I’m holding on to see what the 11th gen cpus turn out like as I really wanted to go all out but seeing the 10850k oem for £350 now is very tempting. Maybe I should get one now then sell it when Alder Lake is out at the end of the year? I take it the Z590 boards will be fully compatible?
I was hoping to carry my current RAM over and get new faster stuff at the same time as the Alder Lake cpu.

Last edited:
Associate
So after a little reading it appears my choice is either the 10850K which means the PCIe-4 M2 drive I bought will not run at full speed on a Z590 board or wait for the 11th gen cpus, right?

Last edited:
Associate
correct.

as you have discovered, this is because the pcie 4 hold up is not motherboard compatibility, but cpu ability.
another thing to note, z490 boards are supposed to be able to support pcie 4.0, hence why they are all min 6 layer pcb's but obviously nothing is confirmed yet, I do hear that asus z490 boards may have an issue and only support pcie on the x16 slot for the GPU, and not the m.2 slots, this could be because on the 11th gen cpus the primary m.2 slot is linked directly to x4 pcie 4.0 lanes that don't exist on 10th gen cpus, and not all z490 boards had this slot installed (the gigabyte vision z490's did, hence not available unless you use an 11th gen cpu) the other m.2 sockets are linked through the chipset, and at this time, i'm not sure if the z490 chipset can accommodate pcie 4.0 to the existing pcie 3 sockets and pcie bus

personally, i'd go with the current i9 to get you up and running, especially as it sounds like you have the board you want, use the m.2 drive initially one of the other m.2 slots, and then as and when you upgrade the CPU to 11th gen, simply move the drive into that primary direct cpu linked socket and you'll be straight onto pcie 4.0 speeds no need to re-install anything.

Associate
correct.

as you have discovered, this is because the pcie 4 hold up is not motherboard compatibility, but cpu ability.
another thing to note, z490 boards are supposed to be able to support pcie 4.0, hence why they are all min 6 layer pcb's but obviously nothing is confirmed yet, I do hear that asus z490 boards may have an issue and only support pcie on the x16 slot for the GPU, and not the m.2 slots, this could be because on the 11th gen cpus the primary m.2 slot is linked directly to x4 pcie 4.0 lanes that don't exist on 10th gen cpus, and not all z490 boards had this slot installed (the gigabyte vision z490's did, hence not available unless you use an 11th gen cpu) the other m.2 sockets are linked through the chipset, and at this time, i'm not sure if the z490 chipset can accommodate pcie 4.0 to the existing pcie 3 sockets and pcie bus

personally, i'd go with the current i9 to get you up and running, especially as it sounds like you have the board you want, use the m.2 drive initially one of the other m.2 slots, and then as and when you upgrade the CPU to 11th gen, simply move the drive into that primary direct cpu linked socket and you'll be straight onto pcie 4.0 speeds no need to re-install anything.

Brilliant, Gunslinger, thanks for clearing that up.

Associate
Brilliant, Gunslinger, thanks for clearing that up.
no problem, your board seems fairly well spec'd in regards to covering options, without digging too far into the manual, the storage section here on the specs page lays out your options, and says which sockets are linked and how, for example it is pretty good in explaining the M.2_1 slot is only for 11th Gen CPU's but, you have M.2_2 slot which is dual PCIe 3.0 or 4,0 depending on the CPU installed, then 2 other m.2 slots that are pcie 3.0 through the z590 chipset by the looks of it.

Just read carefully the shared scenarios, I think there are a couple whereby some SATA connectors become redundant dependent on pcie/m.2 socket utilisation, that is not because those will necessarily be using the SATA transfer protocol, but may have taken the PCIe lanes that would normally be for those sockets controller to use.

Associate
no problem, your board seems fairly well spec'd in regards to covering options, without digging too far into the manual, the storage section here on the specs page lays out your options, and says which sockets are linked and how, for example it is pretty good in explaining the M.2_1 slot is only for 11th Gen CPU's but, you have M.2_2 slot which is dual PCIe 3.0 or 4,0 depending on the CPU installed, then 2 other m.2 slots that are pcie 3.0 through the z590 chipset by the looks of it.

Just read carefully the shared scenarios, I think there are a couple whereby some SATA connectors become redundant dependent on pcie/m.2 socket utilisation, that is not because those will necessarily be using the SATA transfer protocol, but may have taken the PCIe lanes that would normally be for those sockets controller to use.

One of the reasons for getting this mobo was the four NVME slots. It means I can copy my 2TB HD to one M2. After this I can then unplug and remove all SATA devices. (don’t need a cd drive in this pc) Solid state M2 drives only.

Back
Top Bottom