£1200 - Dell Studio XPS 16 - with ssd?

Soldato
I did install the drivers?

I checked the res many times and thats all I could see even after installing the ATI drivers that W7 picked up as an update?

EDIT: Also it had a large lump of dust behind the screen in the centre and the other unit I have ordered comes with 3 years warranty :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry to hear your still waiting Izi :( My brothers arrived 7 days ago, and he is very pleased with it - so thanks for your helpfull info :)

This Laptop runs very hot, both Cores over 80c with Prime95 and around 70c in games; result been laptop throttles quickly in any game causing terrible fps. Solved this issue by tweaking the T9600 1.2125v VID down to 1.000v prime95 small FFT's fully stable, 60/58c per core maximum, and with games it's even less.

Brother opted for the following specs direct from Dell >

2.8GHz T9600
4670 1GB
4gbDDR3 1066mhz
RGBLED 1920x1080 (Screen is great, well worth the money!)
Bluetooth
500GB 7200rpm
N series wireless
TV Tuner (Bit **** signal wise)

Last edited:
Associate
The RBG screens are very good. I had some post production XPS 16's at work (trade only parts supplier) around November last year. Got them fired up no problem, after sourcing a suitable CPU and some RAM.
The extra resolution makes a big difference. So much crisper and clearer than the standard screen, which is still very good, but side by side ther is a big difference and i would defiantly recommend going for the upgrade. As others have said they do run very hot so you need to make sure the air vent's are not obstructed or you will melt the GPU or your leg. BE WARNED!!

Also If you do order one of these, then go for Windows 7 as the OS. Massive improvement over Vista in so many ways.

Hope this helps

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
ive been in london today - when i left at 7 i checked and was still in preproduction. just got home and checked again and has gone in to production - whoop whoop!

now lets see how quickly it will come.

Soldato
Sorry to hear your still waiting Izi :( My brothers arrived 7 days ago, and he is very pleased with it - so thanks for your helpfull info :)

This Laptop runs very hot, both Cores over 80c with Prime95 and around 70c in games; result been laptop throttles quickly in any game causing terrible fps. Solved this issue by tweaking the T9600 1.2125v VID down to 1.000v prime95 small FFT's fully stable, 60/58c per core maximum, and with games it's even less.

That's not hot I had a 2.53ghz MacBook Pro at 102c today after doing a bit of video encoding. You couldn't touch the top set of keys as they were so hot.

Associate

Hi Sean,

What program did you use to adjust the VID? I have tried RightMark Clock Utility with no luck.

Soldato
Hi Sean,

What program did you use to adjust the VID? I have tried RightMark Clock Utility with no luck.

RMClock version 235 iirc and it worked fine, well appart from no support for 0.5x multi. Vista 64 requires RTCore64.sys driver for RMClock to work. Also replaced the heatsink rubber like thermal paste which was truely awfull quality, used some Arctic MX-2 and temps dropped a further 5 to 7c.

Associate
RMClock version 235 iirc and it worked fine, well appart from no support for 0.5x multi. Vista 64 requires RTCore64.sys driver for RMClock to work. Also replaced the heatsink rubber like thermal paste which was truely awfull quality, used some Arctic MX-2 and temps dropped a further 5 to 7c.

Same version I tried mate with the patched RTCore64.sys but it did nothing to the VID :confused:

Mind taking a few screen shots of what options you ticked/enabled etc?

[EDIT] Figured it out. I've been looking for a way to lower the voltage of the GPU but GPUz wont read the BIOS to dump to RBE.

Last edited:
Associate
Like Sean, I also had heat problems when it arrived. I replaced the thermal paste on CPU and GPU then used RMclock to drop my P8600 to 1v and now my cpu hits a maximum of 75c on full CPU & GPU load

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
strife - now at stage 4 :) tuesday might not be too optimistic afterall

edit: now in delivery :) says up to 4 days though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom