£1200 - Dell Studio XPS 16 - with ssd?

Izi

Izi

Soldato
I have £1200 to spend on a laptop; the Dell XPS 16 seems to be the best option at present.

I need the laptop for Developing programs (some light gaming, video editing, office work). I used Visual Studio mainly for dev work. I read that HDD speed makes the biggest difference in terms of performance for VS2008, so I want a laptop with SSD.

The Dell stuido XPS 16 comes in at just over £1200 for one with the 256GB SSD.

Couple of questions:

1) Does anyone have any alternatives to the Dell?
2) Are there any owners here of the Dell XPS 16 with SSD?
3) Whats the best way to get a good deal on a Dell? At the moment it has £300 off until the 2nd, so am I going to find it harder getting more off?

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
Studio and Studio XPS are different I believe.

If people can suggest alternatives I am open to suggestions. I just can't see any others which match spec/price?

Thanks for dmx link, extra 5% off!

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
This is the spec:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9600 (2.80Ghz, 6MB, 1066MHz)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 (64 BIT) - English
Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English - (Does not include Microsoft® Word)
Black Leather back cover : 16" (inch) Truelife 1080p Full HD RGBLED Edge to Edge Display
4096MB 1067MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]
256GB Solid State SATA Drive
1Yr Premium Warranty Support
Primary 6-cell 56 WHr Lithium Ion battery
Internal DVD+/-RW (DVD & CD read and write) Slot Load Drive including Software
1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 4670 graphics card
Intel WiFi Link 5100 (802.11 a/b/g/n 1X2) 1/2 MiniCard
Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module
No integrated TV Tuner (MLK base)
Accessories
No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English
Services & Software
No Accidental Damage Support
DataSafe Online Backup 2GB 1 year
Also Includes
N09X1603
Studio XPS 16 Order - UK
English - Documentation Studio XPS 16
Datasafe Local 2.0 Basic
Studio XPS 16 Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers)
90W AC Adaptor
No Carry Case
1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - UK
Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
1 Year Premium Warranty Support
2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera with Facial Recognition Software
Wireless Label (Intel Wireless Cards) - Core 2 Duo

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
Dont forget that 1gb 4670 is only DDR2, so its only really an equilivant to a GeForce 9600M GT, and you can get 9600GT laptops for £500.

You can get a lot better graphics card for the same price if you shop around.

But if its not for intence gaming then it should do quite well. Nice with the solid state HDD.

I was going to buy a Dell but then i found some more specilised places to buy from.

for example?

to be honest, I havnt had time for gaming in the past year, so I dont see myself having time moving forward. Its just nice to know if I decided to load up and old game it will work nicly.

Its much more a work machine, so build quality and duribility are more important.

I am still open to some suggestions; I am going to buy this tomorrow if no one comes up with any gooduns :)

I am not sold on 'dell', not at all, just from what i can find it seems to be the best deal. Sonys are around the same price with out the SSD.

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
The 4670 has a lot more grunt than a 9600m. I have owned both (msi gx720 & sxps 16)

The sxps is a great laptop with one problem...HEAT!

Build quality is great
Performance is top notch
Looks good
but damn does it run hot. This is mostly due to the poor thermal design.

I put AS5 on the cpu and gpu, undervolted the cpu and raised the back of the laptop up and it still runs hot.
The touchpad is almost unusable and the palm rests are scorchio when gaming. You could also fry eggs on the underside. I havent tried a notebook cooler on it but then I dont see why you should need one on a main stream laptop.

If this is used purely as a desktop replacement then I think you can overlook the heat but dont expect to use it on your lap without cooler or laptray

that bad?

Is that only wen gaming though?

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
What annoys me is just how easy it is for the power cord to work its way loose, it doesn't really 'connect' snugly. I guess its to prevent you from pilling your laptop off a desk if you trip on the cord, but in day to day usage its more of a pain than a blessing.

i've killed to laptops tripping over the power cord and snapping the power connection. each time i was told because it was connected to motherboard it was going to cost more than it was worth to fix - might be a blessing for me.

does anyone one else have any alternative suggestions, or do people think the xps is the best option?

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
Well, i ordered the XPS 16 this morning.

standard except bluray + 256gb SSD. When i get it I will post some pics, but i can imagine it won't come quickly - items never do for me!

Last edited:

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
I was told there is a 9 day lead time on the SSD's... oh well, good things comes to those who wait right? :)

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
Yeah, but it was only £240, which isn't too bad considering the extra wack it will give me developing websites.

I will quickly earn that back by the time i save :)

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
mine only took 5 days (which included a weekend!) I couldnt believe the speed. Hope you get lucky like I did but your SSD might slow your order down

out of interest, when did your order status say that you would receive it?

mine is not untill the 25th of this month! :(

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
For that kind of moolah I think you could have bought a lot more bang. Did you at least get it with the 1920x1080 RGBLED LCD? That will ameliorate matters, since I hear it's the most spectacular available on any laptop on the market. It might not pack a punch but everything will look rich and sparkly, which if you're not gaming or rendering as you say then its a major plus.

yes, 1080p rgbled.

i honestly dont think its that bad. i shopped around and couldnt find anything with the same spec for the same price.

can you find me a laptop with:

1080p
ddr 3 ram
metal alloy case (mostly)
2.4ghz core 2
256gb SSD HDD
bluray
blutooth / wifi / webcam etc
under 3kgs?

for £1200?

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
I love my Studio XPS 16 but I paid half what you did by buying from the online dell outlet store and then bought a SSD separately (spec was otherwise the same as yours assuming you got the full 1080P RGBLED display).

Not sure if you are too late to cancel but you could save a good chunk of money by looking in the outlet store.

Great laptop, does run hot but it's only an issue if you rest it on your lap to play games.

so what spec did you get and what did you pay?

no xps systems: http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/dfh/df.aspx?refid=df&s=dfh&cs=ukdfh1&~ck=betafrbsd

Last edited:

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
£2094 *gulps*

Speaking to a company on the bay that deal with cancelled Dell orders as new condition, he is offering this for approx £850, tempted but still thinking it over, I like higher res on the desktop as I like the space, it's got the grunt for some gaming too if I fancy it?

2.53ghz
4GB DDR3
320 7200rpm
RGBLED Screen
3670HD 512mb
(I'd install W7)

http://www.dmxdimension.com/dell-uk/studio-xps-16-deals-coupons-codes/

deals here.

Tip: buy one with the SSD, sell it on the bay (£450), replace with normal 7200 from OCUK.

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
capturea.png

i keep checking every few hours with my fingers crossed. will you all pray for me to go to the next step.

so looking forward to receiving this - havnt had a new toy in a long while.

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP

when I rang up they said there was a 9 day lead time on SSDs, I assume because of stock.

Fingers crossed it should go in to production around the 9th/10th of this month.

So impatient, i want it now - having to work from a old PC at work, and my computer at home is shafted. Hate having to stay late at the office to work when i could be doing it infront of the tv with my SSD'd laptop :)

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
Not sure which way to turn at the moment?

For general gaming is the 1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 4670 a better performer than the 3670 512mb?

Also Dell don't seem to say what resolution the display is on the 15.6" (inch) Truelife 720p HD WLED Edge to Edge Display? I'm assuming 1366x768

yes i beleive so.

if you want to get one, why not do this:
buy this:http://www.dmxdimension.com/recommend/N00X1602 add 256 SSD.

When it arrives, strip out the SSD, sell in auction site, then replace with normal HDD.

Overall cost:

£799(laptop) + £240(SSD upgrade) = £1039 - 5%(with voucher) = £987.05

sell SSD = £987.05 - £400 = £587.05
Replace HDD + £60
Total cost of ownership = £647!

SPEC:
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 2.00 Ghz
Vista Home Premium
15.6" Truelife 1080p Full HD WLED
4096MB
1GB ATI Radeon HD 4670 DVD+/-RW £979
£799 N00X1602