13.3" laptop please

Associate
I went with the Acer 8371 + Win7 Ult. off of my Microsoft employee friend + c300 SSD and its an amazing laptop. I ran it for a while with Vista and with the standard HDD and I was more than happy with it as it was, just like upgrading stuff!

Soldato
OP
I went with the Acer 8371 + Win7 Ult. off of my Microsoft employee friend + c300 SSD and its an amazing laptop. I ran it for a while with Vista and with the standard HDD and I was more than happy with it as it was, just like upgrading stuff!

Same here mate, Acer 8371 + Win 7 Ultimate + c300 SSD. :D

Associate
Just ordered a 8371 thanks to this! Glad I saw this as I was going to get a netbook but for the small amount extra this'll be way better!

Quick question about Win7 - my missus is a student so can get an upgrade version cheap. If I get a 64bit upgrade will it have the option to do a fresh install?

Associate
Just ordered a 8371 thanks to this! Glad I saw this as I was going to get a netbook but for the small amount extra this'll be way better!

Quick question about Win7 - my missus is a student so can get an upgrade version cheap. If I get a 64bit upgrade will it have the option to do a fresh install?

I used a 64 windows 7 professional upgrade i got through MSDNAA at university and it allowed me to do a clean install on my 8371! :)

Associate
Finally finished updating vista to sp2 etc.
The boot time is still very slow (cf my win7 machines)
There is tons of cr*p preinstalled just trying to slim it down.
Dont know if its this of just that Vista is slow?
Interestingly there is a intel gfx accelerator icon in the system tray which is odd as its got a separate ATI card. Ill put this on the list of things to disable and then find latest ATI driver.

Dont think it will be long before I go for win7, so much better. Unfortunately Ive already used my student win7 deal and my daughters school isnt subscribed.

Associate
My dualboot Win7/Arch Linux 8371G

Boot from cold to Win7 Login, including time taken to select Win7 at bootloader:
28.65 Seconds
Boot from cold to KDE Login, including time taken to select Arch Linux at bootloader:
32.5 Seconds

Soldato
Finally finished updating vista to sp2 etc.
The boot time is still very slow (cf my win7 machines)
There is tons of cr*p preinstalled just trying to slim it down.
Dont know if its this of just that Vista is slow?
Interestingly there is a intel gfx accelerator icon in the system tray which is odd as its got a separate ATI card. Ill put this on the list of things to disable and then find latest ATI driver.

Dont think it will be long before I go for win7, so much better. Unfortunately Ive already used my student win7 deal and my daughters school isnt subscribed.

you cant download the driver from ATI it has to be from acer themself, also it runs the intel when using battery, its switchable if you right click the desktop it shows you switchable graphics and you can change it yourself.

Associate
Ah..cheers, something came up about switching whilst I was upgrading stuff and wasnt able to see what it was, possible that Ive got it stuck on battery mode and thats why its slow. (clock throttling or similar). Will have a look. Ta.

Associate

There is plenty of places that sell the student windows 7 upgrade, im sure they wont all know eachothers sales so you should be able to get another copy mate.

Soldato
is this light enough for taking travelling compared to a samsung nc10 ?

can someone email , i want to make sure im getting the correct place.

Soldato
thank you

if i am not worried about the slightly lower CPU, and i want win 7 installed anyway, am i better off getting the 3810tzg

if i could find one in stock, that is?

edit: nope, cant find one anywhere..

might have to go for the 8371

Last edited:
Man of Honour
thank you

if i am not worried about the slightly lower CPU, and i want win 7 installed anyway, am i better off getting the 3810tzg

if i could find one in stock, that is?

edit: nope, cant find one anywhere..

might have to go for the 8371

It seemed to me that the 3810tzg is dearer and the only real difference is that it has an HDMI port, although I guess if you don't have W7 then thats also a draw, for me I wasn't bothered as I have W7 I bought previous.

Soldato
Quite a few ppl over on netbookreview forums do not like the glossy screen on the acers, so that is something else to consider because aswel as being more expensive, the 3810 also has the glossy screen.

ok, thats ruled this one out then (its out of stock anyway)

sod it, going to order the 8371 now

i hope its not to big/heavy to take travelling

edit:

Ordered it. should be here tomorrow !

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Quite a few ppl over on netbookreview forums do not like the glossy screen on the acers, so that is something else to consider because aswel as being more expensive, the 3810 also has the glossy screen.

I have to say I am loving the Matte screen on the 8371 v the Glossy one on my netbook, looks like it will be much easier to see and keep clean!

Soldato
is this light enough for taking travelling compared to a samsung nc10 ?

can someone email , i want to make sure im getting the correct place.

I had an NC10 which I recently sold. Now have the 3810TZG. It's about .3 of a kilo heavier which is not really that noticeable to be honest.

Also 3810TZG glossy screen is fine (although I see you have ordered the 8371). It's only an issue from fingermarks POV and the viewing angles (which for me aren't much of an issue anyway!)

Back
Top Bottom